Auto Hold - potential safety issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Tony_J

Post by Tony_J »

Vasarolli wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:23 pm I think a loud tone/beeping would do a better job. Or just put the car to park automatically when the door is opened.
But I disabled the auto hold so don't mind this.
The car does indeed engage "park" if you open the door when the D/B or R is engaged - that isn't the issue. If the car is in Park and you have closed the door but it is just on the first "click" (i.e., not fully closed), or if the door is left completely open, the car will allow you to select D/B or R but does not activate Auto Hold, so as soon as you take your foot off the brake the car will start moving. That seems to me to be counterintuitive and dangerous - particularly in the case where the door is part closed - how many times have you thought you had closed the door and it is only on the first "click"?

orrery

Post by orrery »

Indeed - when other cars will continue to moan loudly if a door is left open, the Enyaq seems to do very little.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I do agree that there should be a warning beeper if you try to move the car with the door open. The little red open door picture is easy to miss, and the big heavy doors are very easy to have not quite shut.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Guitar George

Post by Guitar George »

Personally I have a bigger issue with the autohold when reverse parking up my steep driveway. I nearly wiped out my front porch support column attempting to park. Sudden stop/violent lurch backwards/sudden stop/violent lurch backwards.
I turned it off. I won't miss it. I haven't had it on previous vehicles.
I wonder how manufacturers are getting on with fully autonomous vehicles if they can't get fairly simple stuff like this working properly.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post