BP Pulse issue - Anyone else had anything like this?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
1stEV

Post by 1stEV »

Had my car just over 2 months and am mostly familiar with everything in the car now. Apart from one or two glitches I really like it, and what surprises me is that I find it so relaxing it has changed my driving style. I don't feel the need to put my foot down but am rather enjoying trying to drive it economically and smoothly. I had been getting around 3.2miles per kWh in the cold weather but it hit 4.2 at the weekend due to the sudden change in temperature. What I have noticed is that using ECO mode rather than Normal makes (for me) no difference whatsoever, so can only assume it is setting performance limits that I just never normally exceed anyway.

I have been charging only at home, and doing fairly short trips due to being retired. Then I recently decided it was time to get some experience on public chargers in readiness for possible summer holidays, and to get over the slight anxiety I have around finding, queuing for, and using public charging infrastructure. So I enrolled in most of the main public networks that don't involved paying subscriptions (holding off on a Powerpass until I actually need it). I included BP Pulse in my list due to the size of their network, and I decided to just use their App but loaded £5 onto my account via credit card to go and try one of their 150kW chargers 100m or so from my house. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work.

The indicator light on the car charge socket went white when I plugged the cable in (indicating communication with the charger) and a similar message appeared on the charger screen. After a minute the light turned red and the car dash display said "Unable to fully charge vehicle. Consult vehicle wallet." I tried this again, and then repeated a third time whilst on the phone to the BP Pulse helpline. They confirmed the charger was OK and that it appeared to be entering a charging state. We tried a second 150kW charger with the same result (and by the way I had seen 2 cars charging successfully before me, and someone else whilst I was trying). We concluded there must be an issue with my car, and as I had not at this point ever used a DC charger I assumed it must be a related to that.

Today my car went into the local dealer, who checked it out and said there were no issues and it charges fine on their 29kW DC charger. So I decided to see if this was one of the many issues with the current software that goes away with an overnight rest and took it straight back to my local BP garage. The exact same issue occurred. I then did the only other thing I could try which was a different public DC charger. I drove 10 miles or so and found a Shell charger rated 50kW. I found with some relief this worked fine (my first actual public DC charging experience Yay)!

So what now? I wonder if there could be some problem with the BP charger being 150kW. I should have the 125kW charging option but it should not make any difference either way, albeit it would charge more slowly if this was not actually fitted. I wonder if I have the only Enyaq that does not seem to like BP Pulse chargers? If anyone else has experienced anything like this with either BP, or other high power rapid chargers only, I would appreciate you letting me know. My dealer, like most, has fairly limited experience.

By the way, I asked about the upcoming software release and was told that, even if I had a fault that turned out to be fixed in that release, they had no way to get hold of it until the official rollout to existing vehicles during the second half of the year! I have 3 other minor problems with the car that are possibly software related:
  1. When Lane Assist is turned on (and yes I agree it is a pain this resets to "On" at startup), the optional setting to enable/disable steering wheel vibration, even though this sub-setting does persist at startup, does not do anything. Vibration is always on, and this is the feature we find most disconcerting as it feels like you have lost steering control.
  2. The nearside mirror should automatically lower when reversing with the mirror adjustment knob turned to R, but it doesn't (I had this working once but never since. It could be I haven't set it up right).
  3. Despite some early success, I now just cannot get the "Easy Open" boot lid function to work. I have tried all the methods reported as successful by others but it just stopped working after a week or so.
Clearly the only significant issue I have is with BP charging as having to rule out a whole network due to some incompatibility or other does not seem to be a good thing! I'm just not sure how to pursue the problem further.
iV80 Suite ordered 9/11/21, collected 14/1/22.
Quartz Grey. Comfort Seat Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Plus, Transport, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Plus, Infotainment Plus, 125KW Charging, Heat Pump, Rear Side Airbags, Partition Net.
Tethered Zappi.

Skoda44

Post by Skoda44 »

I'm not sure if this will help or not but.... I've never been able to charge my car on a BP Pulse public charger over multiple locations. All other public chargers are fine. I do wonder if it is a wider issue.
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

Listening to the Fully Charged Plus show yesterday, with the Osprey boss, made me think that this might be BP Pulse not sorting out their firmware for the Skoda Enyaq - he was saying that with each new model they have to check it works and often tweak the firmware. So you can have a situation where the charger works fine with other cars, but not yours, and yours works fine with other chargers!

Of course this can be disproved if anyone on here has successfully charged their Enyaq with a 150 kW BP Pulse charger!
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Ordered 20th December 2021, mine 21st March 2023
Charger: Zappi
Helijock

Post by Helijock »

I used BP pulse 150 twice this week as I was given a £25 credit. Both times worked fine. Plugged in, flashed my rfid card and the charge started.
Ordered June 21. Race Blue, Suit, 19" Proteus wheels, 100kw charging, Heat Pump, Comfort seat plus, Climate package plus, Transport pack, Drive Sport basic, Assisted Drive basic, Parking basic. Then I ran out of money!
retsil

Post by retsil »

1stEV wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:55 pm Had my car just over 2 months and am mostly familiar with everything in the car now. Apart from one or two glitches I really like it, and what surprises me is that I find it so relaxing it has changed my driving style. I don't feel the need to put my foot down but am rather enjoying trying to drive it economically and smoothly. I had been getting around 3.2miles per kWh in the cold weather but it hit 4.2 at the weekend due to the sudden change in temperature. What I have noticed is that using ECO mode rather than Normal makes (for me) no difference whatsoever, so can only assume it is setting performance limits that I just never normally exceed anyway.

I have been charging only at home, and doing fairly short trips due to being retired. Then I recently decided it was time to get some experience on public chargers in readiness for possible summer holidays, and to get over the slight anxiety I have around finding, queuing for, and using public charging infrastructure. So I enrolled in most of the main public networks that don't involved paying subscriptions (holding off on a Powerpass until I actually need it). I included BP Pulse in my list due to the size of their network, and I decided to just use their App but loaded £5 onto my account via credit card to go and try one of their 150kW chargers 100m or so from my house. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work.

The indicator light on the car charge socket went white when I plugged the cable in (indicating communication with the charger) and a similar message appeared on the charger screen. After a minute the light turned red and the car dash display said "Unable to fully charge vehicle. Consult vehicle wallet." I tried this again, and then repeated a third time whilst on the phone to the BP Pulse helpline. They confirmed the charger was OK and that it appeared to be entering a charging state. We tried a second 150kW charger with the same result (and by the way I had seen 2 cars charging successfully before me, and someone else whilst I was trying). We concluded there must be an issue with my car, and as I had not at this point ever used a DC charger I assumed it must be a related to that.

Today my car went into the local dealer, who checked it out and said there were no issues and it charges fine on their 29kW DC charger. So I decided to see if this was one of the many issues with the current software that goes away with an overnight rest and took it straight back to my local BP garage. The exact same issue occurred. I then did the only other thing I could try which was a different public DC charger. I drove 10 miles or so and found a Shell charger rated 50kW. I found with some relief this worked fine (my first actual public DC charging experience Yay)!

So what now? I wonder if there could be some problem with the BP charger being 150kW. I should have the 125kW charging option but it should not make any difference either way, albeit it would charge more slowly if this was not actually fitted. I wonder if I have the only Enyaq that does not seem to like BP Pulse chargers? If anyone else has experienced anything like this with either BP, or other high power rapid chargers only, I would appreciate you letting me know. My dealer, like most, has fairly limited experience.

By the way, I asked about the upcoming software release and was told that, even if I had a fault that turned out to be fixed in that release, they had no way to get hold of it until the official rollout to existing vehicles during the second half of the year! I have 3 other minor problems with the car that are possibly software related:
  1. When Lane Assist is turned on (and yes I agree it is a pain this resets to "On" at startup), the optional setting to enable/disable steering wheel vibration, even though this sub-setting does persist at startup, does not do anything. Vibration is always on, and this is the feature we find most disconcerting as it feels like you have lost steering control.
  2. The nearside mirror should automatically lower when reversing with the mirror adjustment knob turned to R, but it doesn't (I had this working once but never since. It could be I haven't set it up right).
  3. Despite some early success, I now just cannot get the "Easy Open" boot lid function to work. I have tried all the methods reported as successful by others but it just stopped working after a week or so.
Clearly the only significant issue I have is with BP charging as having to rule out a whole network due to some incompatibility or other does not seem to be a good thing! I'm just not sure how to pursue the problem further.
To get the nearside mirror to dip, engage reverse and twist the dial to L.
Sportline 80x Velvet Red
1stEV

Post by 1stEV »

Helijock wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:41 pm I used BP pulse 150 twice this week as I was given a £25 credit. Both times worked fine. Plugged in, flashed my rfid card and the charge started.
Thanks Helijock. One difference is that you used an RFID card and I don't have one. The helpline assistant verified my account was OK and they could see my credit, but I wonder if there was some kind of issue with my phone communicating the request to start a charge on the particular charge device no. When I requested charge commencement in the App it changed status to Charging and the fact the socket charging light stayed white for a minute before turning red made it look like there was communication between car and charger. However the flashing white had started when I plugged the cable in and before I selected Charge in the App, so maybe this was a red herring and it was an App problem all along. My main aim is to rule out any problem with the car. I could try RFID I guess.
Quartz Grey. Comfort Seat Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Plus, Transport, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Plus, Infotainment Plus, 125KW Charging, Heat Pump, Rear Side Airbags, Partition Net.
Tethered Zappi.
1stEV

Post by 1stEV »

retsil wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:53 pm
1stEV wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:55 pm Had my car just over 2 months and am mostly familiar with everything in the car now. Apart from one or two glitches I really like it, and what surprises me is that I find it so relaxing it has changed my driving style. I don't feel the need to put my foot down but am rather enjoying trying to drive it economically and smoothly. I had been getting around 3.2miles per kWh in the cold weather but it hit 4.2 at the weekend due to the sudden change in temperature. What I have noticed is that using ECO mode rather than Normal makes (for me) no difference whatsoever, so can only assume it is setting performance limits that I just never normally exceed anyway.

The UK manual says R rather than L but I have tried all positions of the switch and what used to work in the first week no longer does unfortunately. There is an ambiguous bit in the manual that says it works due to: "The mirror surface of the passenger mirror takes in the memory of the driver's seat Seat memory stored position to improve visibility when reversing." so I'm wondering if I've cocked it up due to the way I have set and stored the driver mirror position.
Tethered Zappi.
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

My rfid stopped working but charged a few times via app . It does take quite a while to start and end a good min or so
retsil

Post by retsil »

1stEV wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:14 pm
retsil wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:53 pm
1stEV wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:55 pm Had my car just over 2 months and am mostly familiar.....

The UK manual says R rather than L but I have tried all positions of the switch and what used to work in the first week no longer does unfortunately. There is an ambiguous bit in the manual that says it works due to: "The mirror surface of the passenger mirror takes in the memory of the driver's seat Seat memory stored position to improve visibility when reversing." so I'm wondering if I've cocked it up due to the way I have set and stored the driver mirror position.
Borrowed this from a post by RichR

For anyone struggling to work out how to get the left wing mirror to dip when parking, this might help. First, you need electric seats, as the mirror positions are stored in the seat memories ie you can have a normal and a dipped position stored for each of the seat memories. I suspect the mirror dipping logic is contained in the seats rather than the mirror control unit.

Put the car in reverse, set the mirror control knob to L and move the knob to dip the mirror how you want it. Put it into D then turn the mirror control to 0 and the mirror should return to its normal position. If you now store the seat position it’ll also store the dipped mirror position.

Now if you leave the mirror knob in L it will dip when you put it into reverse, and return to normal once you start moving forward at more than about 10mph or a hundred metres or so.
If you want it to go up to normal position whilst reversing, simply turn the knob to 0. Similarly if you don't want it to dip, leave it in 0 rather than L.
Sportline 80x Velvet Red
1stEV

Post by 1stEV »

Thanks everyone for your replies. It does seem like there are quite a few people having problems at BP stations, and this is reflected on reviews elsewhere too. I'm still interested to hear from anyone here that has had BP charging problems specifically but I narrowed the issue down a bit today so just wanted to feed this back.

I thought about requesting an RFID card but decided I don't want to load money onto one, so I tried the only remaining option at the same local BP station, which is to pay as a "Guest" via the contactless payment card method. This is at a slightly more expensive rate than other methods. It worked fine, and a further repeat using the App failed as before. So I am surmising all the issues I had with the App were due to it not being able to reliably connect to the BP server for long enough to complete all the pre-charge handshaking. Why I didn't think this at the time is that all indications in the App were that it was fine and indeed it reported the car was "Charging," despite the fact that the car and charge point never managed to complete the startup process during all the (7 times in all over 3 different days) I tried. It obviously doesn't have great error handling.

If anyone else needs to stop at BP for a charge and has any similar problems, I would recommend using the more expensive contactless Guest payment as the last resort. It would appear to be the most reliable method as no wireless or mobile communications is involved.
Tethered Zappi.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post