Trip data wrong?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Pseudoniem

Post by Pseudoniem »

I've recently noticed that when the blue regen bar shows just a small blue bar (basically coasting) the trip data show -99 miles per kwh but when the regen bar is half blue or completly blue it shows -0.1 miles per kwh. You would expect that the more you regenerate the more your trip data would show as a minus. I have come up with two possible answers:
1. My batteries can't take the high regeneration power so they don't regen going downhill or under breaking
2. The trip data takes into account that when regen is higher you are slowing down faster so expects this will only be for a short distance so it is less effective than regenerating a little over a long distance.

I suspect it is number two but i am suprised by this because this would be incorrect if you are going downhill for a while (which happens where i live). If it is option 2 i then wonder if my total miles per kwh is accurate. To test this I actually drove in D mode recently and got an avarage of 4.6 where in B mode I get 3.4. I know there are multiple factors that influence this so it is not exact science but this is the same route (work - home) i drive every day and i can consistantly get around these numbers so although not exact science it does show a strange difference.

Anyone else has this expierence? Or is there another reason i might not know about?

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi,

Mine (and therefore I suppose all) also shows -99 when I’m coasting and actually that’s what I’d expect* because the motor is neither using energy from the battery, nor supplying any through regen.

* I’m not sure why they represent this as “ - 99 miles / kWh” when it’s freewheeling, but I suppose it’s just the way the system represents a null condition as far are energy flowing to or from the battery is concerned, whilst the car is actually covering some distance.

——————-
Edit: I re-read your question and realised my answer isn’t actually what you were asking about 😂. I can’t answer your specific concern but I’ll leave my comment above here, anyway 👍
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Pseudoniem

Post by Pseudoniem »

Possibly but that still doesnt explain why the number goes down (more towards +0.00) when the regen gets higher
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

Free wheeling is zero energy so it is a division of 0 so it is infinity. The computer display this as -99

Where regen while travelling you are -m/kWh as the regen is a -ve value.

The instant trip shows the state at the time. But the average trip will have averaged the trip data out based on long term/journey/since chargers etc
Pseudoniem

Post by Pseudoniem »

I get all that but still doesnt explain why higher regen shows a lower - number. So for example:
75% of the regen bar is blue > trip data shows -0.2 miles/kWh
5% of the regen bar is blue > trip data shows -19 miles/kWh
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Generally I see displayed regen energy is proportional to the regen bar length.
Perhaps the number isn't always updating as fast as the bar is moving, so the number may not be perfectly in sync?
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

Pseudoniem wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:59 pm I get all that but still doesnt explain why higher regen shows a lower - number. So for example:
75% of the regen bar is blue > trip data shows -0.2 miles/kWh
5% of the regen bar is blue > trip data shows -19 miles/kWh
probably depend on the speed at wihich you travel as well. higher speed small regen you get bigger number. low speed high regen smaller relatively speed.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post