Steering wheel lock

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

Has anyone worked out what the minimum operation is to enable to steering wheel lock?

On my previous car (Octavia), as soon as I'd removed the key I could turn the wheel slightly and it would lock. I've always assumed that is a useful thing to do from a frustrating thieves point of view.

On the Enyaq, I've discovered that it too had the same function, but I've not managed to get it to work yet without getting out of the car, shutting the door, opening it again, then turning the wheel.

Obviously that's not how it's supposed to work (surely?) - so what is the sequence I need to perform to do this?

I've tried pressing the steering column on/off button, I've tried doing it when I have left the chair, but it doesn't seem to click. When I've closed and reopened the door, it clicks just fine.

Any ideas?

(When I've got this sussed, I need to try and work out why sometimes the fondling the door handle locks it easily and sometimes it doesn't!)
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Ordered 20th December 2021, mine 21st March 2023
Charger: Zappi

Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

Does it matter? Anyone trying to use the wheel without a key would find it locks as they turn it past the catch. It doesn’t need to be engaged by you as you leave the car.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
RichR

Post by RichR »

It locks when the car shuts down - which is when it detects no weight on the driver’s seat and the door opened and shut again.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

RichR wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:35 am It locks when the car shuts down - which is when it detects no weight on the driver’s seat and the door opened and shut again.
And therefore there is no need/advantage to rotating the wheel to 'catch' the lock?
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Ordered 20th December 2021, mine 21st March 2023
Charger: Zappi
RichR

Post by RichR »

I guess not - it should prevent the wheel from being turned more than a couple of degrees should someone try without turning the car on. You can't remove the transmission lock (ie Park mode) or the handbrake without turning the car on either, so it' really not going anywhere easily. (Actually there is a way to disable these so a dead car can be towed, but I can't remember how you do it, however it does say in the manual).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

These days Most thieves will just target your keys anyway . If they really want it they will take it

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post