Heated Windscreen. No wires?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
rpjwhite

Post by rpjwhite »

Morning all

I believe my car has the heated windscreen option. I get the symbol in the climate control but unless my eyesight is failing me I can't see the little wires like you seen on a JLR / Ford. I know these used to be under patent but do Skoda do it differently?

Not that i don't trust a used car salesman but...

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

rpjwhite wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:58 am Morning all

I believe my car has the heated windscreen option. I get the symbol in the climate control but unless my eyesight is failing me I can't see the little wires like you seen on a JLR / Ford. I know these used to be under patent but do Skoda do it differently?

Not that i don't trust a used car salesman but...

Hello! I definitely have the heated windscreen (I’ve seen it in action) but I can’t see any elements in the windscreen either, which is good; I always found the Ford system quite distracting.

Do you have tri-zone A/C ? If I recall correctly, back in 2021, it was this option which included a heated windscreen. Or it might have been the rear heated seats (Climate Plus) which included it.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
rpjwhite

Post by rpjwhite »

Goaty wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:03 am

Hello! I definitely have the heated windscreen (I’ve seen it in action) but I can’t see any elements in the windscreen either, which is good; I always found the Ford system quite distracting.

Do you have tri-zone A/C ? If I recall correctly, back in 2021, it was this option which included a heated windscreen. Or it might have been the rear heated seats (Climate Plus) which included it.
Yeah I have the tri-zone heating and rear seat heating so I assume so but like the heat pumps when you can't see something it leads me to worry.

THanks fella
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

There are no wires in the windscreen.

VAG and many other manufactures now use a transparent conductive layer of silver sandwiched between the laminations to provide required heat to clear windscreens in winter without the use of embedded filament wires.

It has lower power consumption and is more reliable than individual embedded wires - which have been known to occasionally break over time !!

If you are really concerned whether you have the heated windscreen option, pop open the bonnet and look in the Fusebox over on the right hand side. If you have Fuse 17 and Relay 47 fitted you're all good to go next winter.
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
zice

Post by zice »

Look ma! No wires!

rpjwhite

Post by rpjwhite »

zice wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:15 pm Look ma! No wires!

THanks fella. Hope i don't crack the windscreen I bet that is a complete .... to replace.
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

Yes your right - had my heated windscreen repaired by Autoglass and the technician told me I was fortunate it was repairable because a replacement would be £1k. Glad I have windscreen insurance!
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
zice

Post by zice »

another advantage is that the heated windscreen helps also in the summer by keeping a lot of solar radiation (heat) away from entering thru the glass.
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

Other than checking the fuse box is there another way to confirm if you have a heated windscreen?

Thanks.
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

The control icon for it on the heating menu!
The only reason it might have the control and not work is if windscreen subsequently replaced without it, or fuse failed.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post