High voltage safety device

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Zecopeca

Post by Zecopeca »

Hi all
Does anyone know if Enyaq has a safety device that automatically shuts down the high voltage battery in case of an accident? I know there are some circuit breakers that are manually disengaged for safety post accident or for intervention but wonder if there is something else that deploys automatically in the same way as airbags do.
Many thanks

RichR

Post by RichR »

The high voltage battery supply on all EVs is isolated from the rest of the car by a set of beefy contactors. You can hear them clunk when you put the car into Ready mode, or it starts charging for example. In the event of an accident, the crash detection system opens these (in addition to doing all the supplemental restraint things like appropriate airbags, seatbelt tensioners, opening windows, putting on the hazards and calling the SOS number), essentially making all the orange coloured wires safe. There is also a manual isolator switch under bonnet (next to the screenwash bottle) which emergency services can activate if the car does not disconnect by itself (perhaps the car is undamaged but in an unsafe location). You can see the big yellow label pointing out its location when you open the bonnet. Alternatively if you open the fusebox behind the glove box you'll see one of the fuses has a big yellow tab on it - this is a secondary way of isolating the high voltage system by preventing the contactors from closing.

All manufacturers have to publish a safety document for the emergency services that gives the location of any hazards in all models of vehicle. The one for the Enyaq shows where the high voltage battery, inverter, motor and control units are, as well as several notices to say that just because the car isn't making any noise, doesn't mean it's not dangerous :D You can find it here: https://www.skoda-auto.com/_doc/546e08a ... 7566269e6d
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

Rich R is correct. But there is also a protective Pyro Fuse built into the HV battery assembly which is activated only during a major accident. It has to be completely replaced by the dealer after activation.
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
Zecopeca

Post by Zecopeca »

Many thanks RichR & Tiger Tony - very useful info and the document adds good detail to it. I have already located the manual isolator switch and enabled it but still no difference. I will look into the glove box fuse to check it out. As Tiger Tony mentioned if airbags deploy then likely the Pyro Fuse have activated. Is there more detail into this Pyro Fuse? Is it part of the battery or separated? I do have power on the dashboard and 44% battery charge but still having an error message on "Electric Drive not working correctly. Stop vehicle safely!"
Thanks for your input. :)
CrowSysE243

Post by CrowSysE243 »

It appears to be part of the HV connector/junction box in the battery pack. There is some information about the MEB battery pack in the ID4 at https://www.batterydesign.net/volkswage ... id-family/ which includes a picture of the pyro fuse at the end of the article.
iV80 Loft, 19"Regulus, Energy Blue, Maxx Pack, Travel Pack, Heat pump. Order Jul22. BuildWk17-23. UK WE23/6. Available 30/6/23. Collected 3/7/23 Untethered PodPoint. Third Rock mode 2 charger with Tough Leads modular extension lead and adapters.
RichR

Post by RichR »

There are many things that can cause that error. If I understand the bits of workshop manual correctly, it means it can't enable the contactors to connect the battery. I think they only way you're going to find out what the cause is will be to plug it into the VW/Skoda diagnostics computer tool to query the modules.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Zecopeca

Post by Zecopeca »

Thanks CrowSys & RichR and yes defenitely I will inquire with Skoda and get some diagnostics for more accurate reading. I will report back later on. I notice when the power is on, it asks if I want to make an update of the system. I am reluctant to do so before resolving the other issues first. Do you think this is separate and there is no arm to proceed with the update or best to wait?
Thanks
R9mey

Post by R9mey »

Hi

Can the disconnect in the bonnet near the washer bottle be pushed back together if it has been pulled ??

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post