Car cellular data connection

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
RallimG

Post by RallimG »

I've had the Enyaq since the middle of January - until now the remote connection to the car has been reliable - I have had some server time outs but generally it does work - and if it didn't work the problem would normally clear in a few hours.

When I plugged it in to charge on Monday the app did not register it was plugged in, it was then that I realised it had not updated since Saturday. I was reminded today in someone else's post about pulling fuse 19. So tonight I pulled fuse for 30secs and re-inserted - nearly straight away the app connects.

I know this has been mentioned several time before but it does no harm raising it again in case other are struggling with connection problems....
Enyaq iV Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW Charging, Family Pack, Climate+, Conv. +, Drive+, Infotainment+ & Assisted Drive +.
Ordered Jun 2021 - delivered Jan 2023.

RichR

Post by RichR »

Yes- I wonder if it's worth making some kind of sticky post for it. I did add some photos a while back to help people find fuse 19, and a rough explanation of how we think the system works.

In effect if the car can't connect to the internet after a certain people of time, it stops trying so often in order to save power. For example it could be in an underground carpark or on a ferry with no 4G reception). If you just leave it, it'll eventually try again (possibly 24 hours?) and reconnect then go back to connecting every 5 minutes or so to check if there's anything it needs to do. By disconnecting fuse 19, you force the 4G modem to start from scratch and forget that it's in power saving mode. Obviously if there really is a lack of Vodafone 4G in the area it still won't connect until you're in an area with better signal.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
RallimG

Post by RallimG »

It does seem to have got itself in to a mess - as that was nearly 4 days where the car was not connected - including unable to access any data related services such as the PowerPass map or the shop - even though the car data signal was being shown as connected with relatively strong signal strength..
Enyaq iV Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW Charging, Family Pack, Climate+, Conv. +, Drive+, Infotainment+ & Assisted Drive +.
Ordered Jun 2021 - delivered Jan 2023.
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

RichR wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:36 am Obviously if there really is a lack of Vodafone 4G in the area it still won't connect until you're in an area with better signal.
I’ve just returned from a week in rural Wales where 4G was very patchy. Interestingly, for the first time I noticed that instead of the LTE symbol on the display sometimes it was replaced by 3G. I never realised that the car could use the 3G network. Mind you that will be short-lived as 3G is switched off!
iV 80 Suite, Arctic Silver plus various packages. ME 3.1
Ordered late Oct 21 for delivery June 2022. Scheduled production now Week 29 (was previously late September). In transit 25 July 22. Delivered as ordered 17 August 22.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I didn’t know it did 3G either - the Skoda documents only ever mention 4G. 😮 But I guess it must do 3G as we don’t have 4G or 5G where I live.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

I would be surprised if the radio module would not support 2G, 3G and 4G as well. Most likely using a module that has all systems and bands supported so the same radio can be used globally (there might be some radio variants for US (VW) or Asia...
SW updates might require 3G or 4G connection for speed. Some countries will shut down 2G, while others the 3G networks in Europe, but there is probably a fallback to the remaining systems.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post