home charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
MikeGee

Post by MikeGee »

Hi, I've owned a Skoda 60 for 9 months and have been having a few issues with overnight charging. I have a 7kwh easee one charger and set it to charge the car overnight for 7 hours (I have an economy 7 supply overnight). Sometimes the car will charge at a full rate of 7kwh, and sometimes it charges at 3.5 kWh. This can leave me frustrated in the morning if I have a long journey ahead as the car will not be fully charged. Anyone had similar problems or suggestions on how to fix?
Thanks, Mike

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

Pod Point chargers exhibit similar behaviour.

If you have ME3 software (if your Enyaq was new 9 months ago, you should have), set up a home location & use the car’s timer.
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
MikeGee

Post by MikeGee »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
jimmyb78

Post by jimmyb78 »

We have this on our zappi too, completely random as to whether it will charge full or half rate. Very frustrating as always seems to happen when we actually need the full 4 hours.
iv80 loft, Arctic Silver electric towbar, 125kw fast charging, kids pack
Ordered Early July 2021 through Hitachi lease
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

So it looks like this is is t just a Pod Point issue after all.

Setting the schedule on the car does solve the issue with the Pod Point, I've trialed a new Firmware that works but it still does the 4.5kW charge on the odd occasion onto my next step of a new PCB :geek: the joys of being a Pod Point Engineer :lol:
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! πŸ˜ƒ

Might work for a well know charging company πŸ˜‰

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about πŸ˜‚
Choppsie

Post by Choppsie »

I have found that the home charging unit will try to draw 7KW but if it detects there is a request on your electric supply from other devices it will only draw what it thinks is safe

e.g. If I am running my dishwasher and washing machine out of hours, to make use of the cheaper tariff, my PodPoint may drop the charging power down to 3.5KW or 4KW until those devices have finished

It's a pain but it's the home charger trying to prevent a power trip
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Choppsie wrote: ↑Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:45 pm I have found that the home charging unit will try to draw 7KW but if it detects there is a request on your electric supply from other devices it will only draw what it thinks is safe

e.g. If I am running my dishwasher and washing machine out of hours, to make use of the cheaper tariff, my PodPoint may drop the charging power down to 3.5KW or 4KW until those devices have finished

Are you using the Pod Point scheduler within the app ?

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about πŸ˜‚
Choppsie

Post by Choppsie »

BioHzrd wrote: ↑Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:42 pm
Choppsie wrote: ↑Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:45 pm I have found that the home charging unit will try to draw 7KW but if it detects there is a request on your electric supply from other devices it will only draw what it thinks is safe

Yes, I think it is the Pod Point Scheduler that limits the current if it detects high usage?
jimmyb78

Post by jimmyb78 »

Yes definitely not just pod point, and it's definitley the car not the charger as my BMW i3 charges exactly as expected every time. My wife's Enyaq on the other had just decides as it goes along. The last 3 charges have all been at 3.5Kw so seems to be getting worse.

Going to change to intelligent octopus soon which will probably solve the issue as will need to set up differently with the 2 cars (Enyaq will be the registered IO car)
iv80 loft, Arctic Silver electric towbar, 125kw fast charging, kids pack
Ordered Early July 2021 through Hitachi lease
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Choppsie wrote: ↑Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:04 pm
Yes, I think it is the Pod Point Scheduler that limits the current if it detects high usage?
[/quote]

No the scheduled doesn't adjust the charging current that's done by the Fuse Saver but a known issue with VW Group cars and the PP app scheduled exists where when uses the charge current sits at around 4.5kW constant through the scheduled time.

Irrespective of the loads within the property.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post