Regeneration fails

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
khikhi

Post by khikhi »

Does anyone have the same issue?

Every now and then when braking the car goes with mechanical brakes only. It can feel in needed braking power and also the blue indicator in dashboard is not activated. If I release the brake pedal and press it again, the car is braking normally with regeneration of electric motors. Sometimes this is happening about every tenth braking and sometimes none.

The car is now in workshop but unfortunately next free time slot was after four weeks :(
80x Sportline with almost all packs
Ordered Aug 2021 - Delivered May 2022

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

I have had this on a very few occasions although it hasn’t happened in a long while.
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
leelazer203

Post by leelazer203 »

Ive not had that but, I have found that the required breaking pressure does vary depending on state of charge. If my car is at 80% for example, the regen is less and I have to apply more force to the pedal for mechanical breaking. Its the opposite for a lower charge. Personally I find this inconsistency annoying and sometimes quite disconcerting.
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

leelazer203 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:46 am Ive not had that but, I have found that the required breaking pressure does vary depending on state of charge. If my car is at 80% for example, the regen is less and I have to apply more force to the pedal for mechanical breaking. Its the opposite for a lower charge. Personally I find this inconsistency annoying and sometimes quite disconcerting.
You can’t change the laws of physics. If the battery is full you can’t have any regeneration at all, conversely when low you will get the maximum the motor can generate. It’s not a fault and another reason not to charge over 80% unless you really need the range.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
Lorttrol

Post by Lorttrol »

I've noticed similar but it depends on how hard I break. If everything is nice and smooth the regen kicks in first before applying the mechanical breaks. If i break a bit quick and jab the pedal it goes into manual breaks first and a tiny bit of regen. I've got in the habit now that as soon as i go to break with my foot i start pulling the regen paddles.
Ordered 8th Jan 22 - 80, Energy Blue, Loft, Light and View +, Convenience +, Drive Pack +, Comfort seat basic, Climate Package basic, Drive Sport Basic and HUD. Delivery 41 weeks to the day!
Previous: Tarraco, 1st Edition Plus 2.0 TDI 7 speed DSG 4WD
DanishFamilyMan

Post by DanishFamilyMan »

I'm having the same experience after my ME3 update.
Mine does only do mechanical braking when I'm on acc- No regen at all.
Workshop tells me that it's an update feature, to ensure that the mechanical breaks are in action every once in a while.
Make sense to me. In fact I used to miss an opportunity to disable regen. Now I just have to pedal brake with acc in action.
IV 80 First edition, SW 3.0, Black magic, Heatpump, 125kw, Suite cabin, 21" Betria, Towbar, Assisted Drive Plus, Transport package, Climate Package Plus, Comfort seat, Convenience Plus with alarm, Drive Sport Plus, Light and view, family basic.
khikhi

Post by khikhi »

DanishFamilyMan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:50 pm I'm having the same experience after my ME3 update.
Mine does only do mechanical braking when I'm on acc- No regen at all.
Workshop tells me that it's an update feature, to ensure that the mechanical breaks are in action every once in a while.
Make sense to me. In fact I used to miss an opportunity to disable regen. Now I just have to pedal brake with acc in action.
Very useful info from your workshop, thanks for sharing!
Actually I was thinking the same at one point, but didn't believe my theory, since this is happening so randomly. Also a bit odd that I got ME3 update 10 months ago, but this feature came about two months ago. Could this be related to some mileage or age of the car?
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

With acc this worked the same way all the time. If acc is activated braking is not regenerating. Mostly. Sometimes it does. Not consistent. Drive mode impacts on this, I recall someone also posted earlier the sport mode is using the regenerative braking all the time (why not eco mode...).
khikhi

Post by khikhi »

Vasarolli wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:48 pm With acc this worked the same way all the time. If acc is activated braking is not regenerating. Mostly. Sometimes it does. Not consistent. Drive mode impacts on this, I recall someone also posted earlier the sport mode is using the regenerative braking all the time (why not eco mode...).
Update to my situation:
The workshop changed a brake booster since that has been causing problems in some cars. The change didn't help.
I have now checked the situations where the regeneration fails more detailed than earlier. It seems that also with my car most of the failures are happening when ACC is activated and it is regenerating. In that situation pressing the brake pedal uses only mechanical brakes and regeneration is at zero level.

The workshop will continue the investigation after a few weeks. There are some version conflicts between control modules and they will solve those at first.
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

Thanks for the update. To me it feels like a SW issue, intentional or not... but really annoying as using acc all the time. Now got to used to disabling acc and braking after to regenerate all the time.
Would be interesting to know if all have this, or is this only us.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post