Cruise control and sat nav

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
YorkshirePud

Post by YorkshirePud »

I know these problems may have been mentioned elsewhere, a year ago, but I cannot find them.
While driving along the M74 with ACC set at 60mph, I noticed the sat nav flash up some twisty/bendy roads in yellow, eeeck what was that ? then the car suddenly braked while in the middle lane, a glance at the screen said , or to the effect " bend in the road maximum 25mph" so I take it the Enyaq slowed to 25mph. The 30 - 40 ton trucks behind me were not happy, I managed to get into the inner lane, then the car sped up, the ACC now at 70 mph? Within seconds the car braked again with a warning " bend in the road maximum 45mph" I have never seen these messages before. We managed to get into Gretna services to lower the heart rate. Upon setting off the car was speeding up/braking/speeding up, warnings of bends and the road signs on the dash were changing from 60 to 30, to 40, 60 30, . My partner looked at the sat nav map and we were somewhere on or near the A7, NOT the M74, with the cursor following that route, I believe that was miles from where we were. We had to stop and turn off the sat nav etc. A few puzzling questions arise, we are told the CARS sensors pick up the road signs ! so how was the Enyaq picking up road signs on a road that we were not on ? We were getting told to make left or RIGHT turns off a motorway. On a slightly different note, on the motorways in SCOTLAND when we almost pass the slip roads, the sat nav was telling me to move over 2 lanes to the right,( ie to the 3rd , outer lane ) yet in England we simply drove past the slip roads, nothing said by mrs sat nav ! Dont tell me that the snp have got to the Skoda sat navs

Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

I think theres a setting you can select to stop the ACC being adjusted by the satnav/road sign detection stuff.

This is from another skoda forum: "You should turn off "Road layout preview - Switch the cruise control on/off according to the road profile (e.g. reduce speed before a bend)" and "Speed limit preview - Switch the speed control on/off according to the permissible speed" and this will effectively turn off the predictive cruise control."

I dont know the exact wording in the Enyaq but it will be similar.

No idea why the nav thinks your in the middle of nowhere though. It uses both GPS/Nav data, and the cameras to detect speed limits etc.
Last edited by Aragorn on Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Same names on the Enyaq too.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

It's possible to have a bad satellite lock where the car thinks you're displaced by a distance from your actual position. I've had this a couple of times before. The satnav can think you're on a nearby road and is basing its braking profile on that road rather than the one you're on. Oddly when I had this the car never corrected its position during the entire journey and didn't correct itself until the car had shut down and restarted.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

Just turn off both options under the acc menu.
One causes sudden braking or acceleration when it misreads road signs eg a 30 road parallel alongside a main road or even a 100kph sticker on the back of a lorry!

The other slows the car for approaching hazards ahead such as roundabouts or bends. It sometimes gets it wrong and slows without reason, or is too conservative and slows too much and too early.

Once these are off acc works very well with you in control of the speed, and can easily slow or speed up just with the control stalk.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
Choppsie

Post by Choppsie »

I was not planning to respond to this thread, as up until last night the car, over the last 10 months has been fine with ACC. However, last night, on the M4 smart motorway between Jnc 11 Reading East and jnc12 Reading West, heading West, my car decided it had seen a speed limit of 100MPH, and started to speed up (much to my concern) and just as quickly felt is saw a speed limit of 40MPH, before I had taken action to prevent the 100MPH. The cars behind came very close to rear-ending me

It has completely wiped my confidence with the system, which, as I say, had performed flawlessly until this one incident. But that is all it has taken to make me think twice about using it
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

just turn off the two options above and the car will stop changing its speed automatically.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
orrery

Post by orrery »

I think that the problem is usually that the navigation doesn't know whether you are continuing on the motorway of turning off and approaching a roundabout - it seems to depend on the curve of the road at the time and which is shorter. If you jab the accelerator it seems to fix it.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post