Charger recommendations for Octopus energy

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
yebaws

Post by yebaws »

Will be buying an Enyaq soon, so looking to get a home charger sorted out.

I'm with Octopus Energy. Currently on Agile Tarriff, but plan to switch to IOG (Intelligent Octopus Go) once we have our Enyaq.

In order to be able to get the IOG tarriff, I have to have either a "compatible car or charger", so that charging can be controlled by Octopus. From what I have read, the Enyaq is Octopus compatible, which would leave me free to use whatever charger I wanted, and save a bit of money over buying a Zappi or Ohme charger. I Am interested in something like this: https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/emon ... on-type-2/ The fact that integration with Home Assistant should be easier with this also appeals.

But I need to be certain that I don't need a specifically Octopus compatible charger, otherwise I won't be able to get the IOG tarriff, and it will be an expensive mistake...

Interested to hear experiences and suggestions please

Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

Try the Octopus compatibility page at https://octopus.energy/intelligent-octo ... ibility/#/

It lists both the Enyaq and the EmonEVSE charger to select from, and then comes up with a "Congratulations, you're good to go" message.
Not sure what other evidence could add to this.
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

The garage I bought from had posters up and an example for an Ohme charger.
They got Ohme to contact me direct and quote for an install which was cheaper than a couple of quotes I had already had.
They posted me the charger direct and arranged a local installer to come in a fit it. He did a neat job.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Ohme epod working well on Octopus Go (reverted to OG after rocky experience with IOG). Also cannot recommend EO chargers-mine ceased to perform after two years or so…. In any event, and it is a direct quote from Octopus, ‘We no longer work with EO’.

Fossilnot
Largonaut1

Post by Largonaut1 »

Myenergi Zappi works well, we are on the IOG tariff. We had to register the Enyaq a couple of weeks ago though.
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

The Enyaq is compatible, so you can get whatever cheap charger you like.
The dumber the better. But Zappi works well for me and worth the few quid extra.
As others have said, it's either/or, not both. Octopus just needs to control one, and it'll control your Enyaq.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
orrery

Post by orrery »

I think there is some confusion on the Octopus pages about what constitutes a 'compatible' charger.
There are:
1 Chargers that control charging (with any EV)
2 Chargers that don't misbehave when you charge by allowing Octopus to control the car.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
NickyP

Post by NickyP »

I've been using octopus and a pod point for two years now, one or two minor issues setting up schedule at the beginning but been flawless ever since.
MY22 Enyaq 60 nav suite, Race blue, 21" Betria wheels, 100kW charging, Comfort seat pack basic, Climate pack basic, Chrome pack, Driving sport package basic, Assisted drive pack basic, Parking pack basic, Panoramic roof.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Apologies for the thread hijack - but does anyone know if Octopus now will control a Zappi to do a boost charge when it's in ECO+ mode, or does it only control the car (ie Zappi has to be left in Fast mode all the time)?

Most of the year mine sits in ECO+ mode so it can dump excess from the solar panels into the car rather than the grid once the house batteries are full, and I just do scheduled offpeak boost charges in winter if the car needs topping up.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

If the zappi is connected to IOG then you leave the zappi in eco+ mode, which sounds like what you want.
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Ordered 20th December 2021, mine 21st March 2023
Charger: Zappi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post