Contactless mobile charger not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
RichR

Post by RichR »

Has anyone tried positioning the phone so it's not sitting at the bottom of the tray? Or putting the phone in the other way round? A few people suspect it's to do with the position of the phone, but nobody seems to have posted to say if anything worked for them. It could be as simple as adding a little block of foam at the bottom so the phone sits 5mm higher up in the tray.

I'd test myself, but my Enyaq's months away from being delivered...
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

MattDaviesUK

Post by MattDaviesUK »

The one in ours works ok, but we have the extra big phones so maybe that is why. It does go on and off a bit whilst driving, but it always ends up charging. The biggest thing for me is that there are two slots for phones but only the drivers side slot charges the phone, there isn't a charger on the passenger side. Seems a bit cheap for a car that cost over £40k (no usb ports in the back either unless you pay extra).
Matt Davies
Skoda Enyaq iV 80 Sportline
All black, black as night.
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

I have a iPhone 12 Pro worked first trip then kept saying error and remove anything from tray , tried without case (MagSafe compatible) still the same . Tried other way round and face down sideways everything but not worked , received car 2 days ago and ended up dead phone and had to find a contactless charger to charge car on my first trip . My phone charges on pretty much every other cheap wireless charger
Hillocklane

Post by Hillocklane »

Had the same with mine - iPhone 11 worked. iPhone 12 would error in car software, but worked on other charging mats.

After some playing around, i've found placing a block at the bottom of the bay for the phone to rest on, bringing it about 200mm higher than normal, allows the iPhone 12 to be positioned correctly for the charger and it then works fine. I'm using with an apple silicon case.

I think its the mag safe which makes the positioning less forgiving than other phones.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Thanks Hillocklane - that's what I was hoping for. A bit of logical reasoning as to why certain models of phone don't work so well. I think the charging coil on the Magsafe iPhones (12 and 13) is a bit smaller and positioned slightly lower in the case than in earlier models. It would seem Skoda's phone tray perhaps has a single charge coil that's positioned in the right place to work with all the phones they tested it on, but given how many different shapes and sizes of phone are out there, there's bound to be some it doesn't quite line up with. Just a shame it's one of the more popular ones :)

So now we just need someone to churn out 20mm (I assume you meant 20 not 200), blocks of foam in the same colour as the tray, with a self adhesive tape maybe :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
gavinrobinson35

Post by gavinrobinson35 »

Same issue hauwei P40 Pro, it stops intermittently and you get an error on the dash
RichR

Post by RichR »

Is the P40 quite a tall phone like the iPhone 12? If so, try moving it up 2cm with something (about the size of a pack of chewing gum I guess) and see if it is more reliable.
Hillocklane

Post by Hillocklane »

RichR wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:22 am
So now we just need someone to churn out 20mm (I assume you meant 20 not 200), blocks of foam in the same colour as the tray, with a self adhesive tape maybe :)
Ha.. :oops: yes, 20mm not 200 :D

Been looking for something self adhesive to cut to size, but not stumbled across the right thing just yet.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Self adhesive felt pads meant to go on furniture so it doesn’t scratch wooden floors maybe? I’ve got some IKEA stuff that’s black that might do the job.
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

I am 💯going to try this !!!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post