Fast charging speed

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

From what I've read to take advantage of the "100kW" charging capability your battery has to be depleted to 15% and below before you will achieve the rapid charging speed.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂

RichR

Post by RichR »

This is true of all lithium (and some other chemistry) batteries. When the level of charge in each cell is low, then you can use a higher current to charge it. But once the cells are fuller, they cannot accept as much current without getting hot and potentially causing damage, so the level of current is reduced by the battery management system. Also the voltage at each cell needs to be the same, so they are not all charged at the same rate (particularly towards the end of the charging cycle) as the management system will reduce the charging current to those that are higher in order for the lower voltage ones to catch up - aiming to keep them all the same.

If you watch videos from people like Bjorn Nyland, you'll see the way to get the shortest time spent charging is to plan your stops so you can the battery down to 10% or so, and only charge up to about 50% - this is where the battery charges fastest. It's a change in mindset from having an ICE car where you just fill the tank to the top and run it until it's almost empty - you don't need to charge to 100% (or even 80%) at every stop. Something like planning to stop every 2 hours or so for a coffee/toilet/food stop, and put it on charge for 20 minutes - which will get you to the next 2 hour stop - works better for electric cars.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

Charging curves here, if you're interested in more detail.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
FranHG

Post by FranHG »

We upgraded our iV60 to 100kw but we never get more than about 45kw charge even on rapid 350 Kw charger at Rugby M6 services, charging from 35%.

Would love to know how we find out if we do have the 100kw upgrade we paid for.

Never get anywhere near the “about 40 mins to fully charge” we were told about. It’s always just over 1hr which makes a long journey very long when you have to stick an extra hour for charging onto it.

Love our iv 60 but disappointed we only get 200 miles from 100% and we always have to recharge before we get anywhere near to a 180 mile destination.
Iv60 Suite 100kw, Arctic Silver, Battery Pack/Heat Pump, Assisted Drive, Chrome, Climate, Comfort Seat, Convenience, Drive, Parking Pack
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

FranHG - My IV60 with a 100% charge can achieve a 340km journey - with about 10% left at about 21c, If I limit moterway speed to 110km/h rather than 130km/h. I did have travel assist engaged which may make a small difference.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

FranHG wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:39 pm We upgraded our iV60 to 100kw but we never get more than about 45kw charge even on rapid 350 Kw charger at Rugby M6 services, charging from 35%.

Would love to know how we find out if we do have the 100kw upgrade we paid for.

Never get anywhere near the “about 40 mins to fully charge” we were told about. It’s always just over 1hr which makes a long journey very long when you have to stick an extra hour for charging onto it.

Love our iv 60 but disappointed we only get 200 miles from 100% and we always have to recharge before we get anywhere near to a 180 mile destination.

Currently there is no way to optimize battery for charging. The battery needs to be at certain temperature, which it usually is not when driving at these ambient temperatures.

You could try heating the battery before arriving at the charger by doing a series of accelerations and decelerations (regen) at high speeds. Probably with no cabin heating, so there's no heat scavenging from battery.

Additionally try arriving to charger at 10% or lower, so the charging current helps with heating. Max speeds are available at 35% charge or lower.

Preconditioning should arrive in the next software update.
Westy

Post by Westy »

Ive seen 129kw below 10% charging at Ionity.

If you need to check you have fast charging - get to a fast charger with less than 10%. Preferably not in freezing temps.

At Shell fast charger I usually see 50-70kw when i get there at 30 odd percent.

Get over 80% and all but the fastest charging cars (Porsche Taycan for instance) throttle down to 20-30kw and lower.

Ive found my Enyaq to charge very well when I need to charge away from home. I haven’t had to charge at a very low temperature yet (below 5c).

I was trying to explain charging curves to a Jaguar Ipace owner at Ionity, who was insisting on charging to 100% and was shocked at how slow the last 10% was.

In short more stops is quicker than charging to 100%, this is every EV - this is not an Enyaq thing - anyone tells you different, don’t believe them.
Enyaq 80 Loft
Quartz Grey
Climate Pack, Assisted Drive, 125Kw

Replacing a Passat GTE Estate
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

FranHG, check with the dealer? Ask them to confirm and verify the car is according to specs. Maybe the upgrade was missed at the factory?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post