Pre Conditioning - Curiosity ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Anyone with a home charger & smart meter or any other form of consumption monitor (emon pi/owl/Myenergie) happen to know or willing experimwnt and find out what sort of draw the Enyaq pulls when pre hearing the car ?

I'm just curious to know how much power is needed to heat/cool
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂

RichR

Post by RichR »

I can tell you what my Outlander does if that’s any help? Essentially it runs the heater (or aircon) at full power with the fans on full. This draws about 5kW in an Outlander. I suspect the Enyaq might be cleverer though. Then the battery charges as normal - so whatever charge rate you normally get when the battery is about 98%. In the case of the Outlander that’s 3.6kW. But it’s only for 20 minutes or so, meaning you lose a negligible amount compared to the amount you save by the climate control only needing to maintain 20C or whatever, which takes well under 1kW usually.
As the Enyaq can charge faster than the heater uses it, it’ll be drawing close to what just the heater consumes.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
orrery

Post by orrery »

Wouldn't that depend on whether you have the heat pump or not?
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
RichR

Post by RichR »

No, not really. For the short period of time pre-heat runs for, the heat pump won’t be making much of a contribution compared to the PTC heater. Heat pump has more effect over a longer period such as a couple of hours on the motorway.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Thanks for the reply, I wonder if the Enyaq will pull less being a more "modern" car plus a full BEV so some what a more efficient (you would hope) heating/cooling package.

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
RichR

Post by RichR »

Yes, I’d like to think it is a bit cleverer than the Outlander, and has a more efficient heater due to being 5 years newer.
Xtopher

Post by Xtopher »

Can tell you in about a month when ours arrives! Til then I'm no help sorry!
orrery

Post by orrery »

RichR wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:37 am No, not really. For the short period of time pre-heat runs for, the heat pump won’t be making much of a contribution compared to the PTC heater. Heat pump has more effect over a longer period such as a couple of hours on the motorway.
Surely the OP was asking about the power draw when pre-heating? The difference should be about x3 or x4 times between the PTC and the heat pump. I've had x4 EVs so far and all had heat pumps as standard and all were relatively instant at providing heat. The lack of heat pump as standard seems to be a really bad decision on Skoda's part.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

orrery wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:56 pm
RichR wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:37 am No, not really. For the short period of time pre-heat runs for, the heat pump won’t be making much of a contribution compared to the PTC heater. Heat pump has more effect over a longer period such as a couple of hours on the motorway.
Surely the OP was asking about the power draw when pre-heating? The difference should be about x3 or x4 times between the PTC and the heat pump. I've had x4 EVs so far and all had heat pumps as standard and all were relatively instant at providing heat. The lack of heat pump as standard seems to be a really bad decision on Skoda's part.
It was made for profit reasons and profit alone nothing else, tell customers that paying £1000 for a device that will improve the millage of the vehicle people will buy it because it says increased millage the same way people buy every new apple product.

orrery

Post by orrery »

BioHzrd wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:37 pm It was made for profit reasons and profit alone nothing else, tell customers that paying £1000 for a device that will improve the millage of the vehicle people will buy it because it says increased millage the same way people buy every new apple product.
There's probably a lot of truth in that, but I suspect the main reason that everything is an option is to keep the base model under the Plug-in car grant. Of course, once it becomes an option it has to become more expensive.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post