EDF (France) service

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
shunter50

Post by shunter50 »

This question is for members living in France.

When I bought my Enyaq 60 the salesman filled out a form on his screen which went to IZI EDF, a company supposedly within EDF that can fit the charger at your home.

The car came with two leads, one a 3 phase and the other for public chargers. I asked about a domestic plug charge connector and he said he would order one.

A few days later I received an email message from IZI EDF introducing themselves to me and telling me all the wonderful things they could do for me. They asked for information regarding siting, pictures of my fuse box, distance point needed to be from the house, etc.

I filled in all the info, sent it off and next day received another email message asking me what dates were best for me between 7 and 21 October for an agent to come around and see me. I said any day was fine as long as they gave me a days notice (I'm retired).

That's the last I've heard. I've emailed, phoned and left messages but to no avail.

I phoned EDF on the English speaking service and the man said he'd never heard of them, so they may just be a contractor that EDF are using, although their website (IZI) does lead you to think they are well in with EDF.

The lead I ordered arrived at the dealers and I had to pay 197€ for it. I argued that it should have come with the car, but as I bought a stock car all I got was what was in the car. Instructions say that this cable is only for the odd use, not to be used all the time as it could kick-back through the system and damage the house fuses.

At the moment we are using two public chargers which isn't too inconvenient as I can sit and read whilst I'm waiting but it generally take 2 to 3 hours.

Has any other French owner had this problem? If you want to PM me it would probably save all the UK owners, or hopeful owners, from getting bored.

RichR

Post by RichR »

The Enyaq does not come with a charger that connects to domestic power outlet (ie 10A 'granny charger'). The reasoning being that to charge an Enyaq 80 from empty would take almost 36 hours. Skoda expect you to be using a proper home wallbox charging at 7kW, or public rapid chargers at up to 125kW. They offer a 'universal charger' which can connect to a domestic socket and charge at 10A, but also to the higher power connectors and 3-phase connectors offering up to 11kW charging. Some manufacturers supply granny chargers as standard on large battery EVs, but others (such as Skoda) don't.
Yes, they can be useful (eg couple of hours topup when at a relative's house without a wallbox), hence they offer one in the accessories catalogue. It shouldn't really be the main method of charging on any car, even a PHEV with a 5kWh battery as it's slow, and can be problematic if your home electrics aren't up to the task (mainly it's heating of the socket due to dirty connectors that can be a problem)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
orrery

Post by orrery »

RichR wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:49 am The Enyaq does not come with a charger that connects to domestic power outlet (ie 10A 'granny charger'). The reasoning being that to charge an Enyaq 80 from empty would take almost 36 hours.
And ... so what? The issue isn't charging from empty, just as it isn't charging a big battery to full.
The issue is charging back what you've used, and for what you need.
I visited my Mum (in the Peak district - 110 miles) in my Leaf 40kWh at the weekend and took my 6 amp granny lead with me (it does 6, 8, 10 or 13 amps but 6 is perfectly adequate). I arrived mid-day Friday with less than 20%, and plugged in. We went out doing various shopping later in the day, then took her to the hairdressers and on to the supermarket on Saturday. When not in use, the car is plugged into the outside garden socket.
We left after breakfast Sunday and had 100% battery. That wouldn't have been materially different in an iV80 - other than, with the increased range, I probably wouldn't have needed to charge at all.
Forget the time taken to full charge a car, it has little bearing on anything.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
RichR

Post by RichR »

That is Skoda's decision, not mine - I'm just stating why they say you don't get a granny charger with an Enyaq as standard. Same reason you don't get a spare wheel on virtually any modern car - most people won't use it, so it's a waste of money manufacturers supplying one. If you want one, you're free to buy your own.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post