Battery Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Pooltrev

Post by Pooltrev »

Hi, since taking delivery of my 60 iv I have been unable to get more that 195 miles showing despite it being 100% charged? I know the WLPT figure of 254 mile range is more likely to be around 200 but I cannot even get 200 miles into Battery.

Anyone else had this issue ?

RichR

Post by RichR »

It is not an issue. It's perhaps a misunderstanding on what that figure is telling you. Range is determined by how you drive not by how charged the battery is. It is impossible to guarantee any car can do a certain number of miles on a full charge (or tank of fuel). If you tried, you could burn through a tank of petrol in under 100 miles by driving fast, up hills with a boot full of bricks, or you could coast down hills in neutral to get over 500 miles. Which figure is correct when someone says 'how far can you drive on a full tank?'. The answer it that on average, it'll be somewhere between the two.

When you charge the car, it know how much energy in kWh is in the battery. But it has no idea how you're going to use it. The best it can do is use the average figure at the time you switched it off. So if the last couple of miles of your journey was poor in terms of miles/kWh (eg acceleration, high speeds etc) then the prediction will be low. If however you did the last few miles at 20mph downhill then it'll be much higher.

Similarly when you're driving along, the estimated range is only valid if you continue to drive how you are doing. So on a motorway on cruise control it'll be pretty good. But stop/start in a town with changes in speed limits, it'll be less accurate because it can't tell if you're going to carry on like that, or perhaps you're going to leave the town and move onto a road with a more constant speed.

Next time you're out, set the infotainment to show you the mi/kWh you're getting. Then see what the average is under different driving conditions. If you can get it over 4.5 then you're doing well. If you're consistently getting under 2.5 then you're probably accelerating a bit harder than you need to, or have a lot of load on the car (or messed up the aerodynamics by having windows open for example).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Pooltrev wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:47 pm Hi, since taking delivery of my 60 iv I have been unable to get more that 195 miles showing despite it being 100% charged? I know the WLPT figure of 254 mile range is more likely to be around 200 but I cannot even get 200 miles into Battery.

Anyone else had this issue ?

/\ I’m only getting around 240 ish in my 80 at the moment, so 190ish does sound about right to me for a 60; I believe that if a 60 and an 80 are driven the same way at the same time, the 80 should achieve around 50 or 60 more miles. The weather is much cooler, too (which does play a significant role in reducing battery performance).

Do you have a long term ‘miles per kWh’ figure you can share ?
Last edited by Goaty on Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
frankfurterbear1

Post by frankfurterbear1 »

Don't worry about it. I'm the same my trips are no more than 10 to 20 mu uses driving around town to 3.4kwh x 58.1 etc is never going to get up to over 200, though drove further on Saturday and was at 4.4 kwh so this x 58.1 would see my figure looking good
darkside66
Location: In The middle (Leicestershire) then over to the right (Norfolk)

Post by darkside66 »

in my experience you will only ever get close to the wltp figures in the summer months with a very light right foot i was able to get 260miles out of my ID3 during the summer but this dropped to below 200 as soon as the weather changed and got cooler.
Sportline 80 Black Magic Comfort Seat + climate + infotainment + Drive Sport + Assisted Drive Betria 21 Standard charging
Mrs Darkside Vauxhall Mokka e
Yipeeee we are an all electric household :D :D Oh no just remembered I have a petrol mower :o

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post