Reversing problem (keeps jumping to neutral)

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Billy Whiz

Post by Billy Whiz »

I test drove an 80 Sportline yesterday and was very impressed with the car and in particular with the interior (I've had Audis for 12 years and, for me, the Enyaq interiors are a match for many Audis - including the Q4 etron).

This would be the biggest car I've had and the size was a bit off-putting (particularly the width) but I think I'd get used to it quickly enough (I've driven quite large vans in the past without any issues).

The main thing stopping me ordering straight away is an issue I had when seeing how easy it was to fit the car under our car port. The width of the car means it's a reasonably tight fit (about 5" each side) but there's still enough room to the side of the car port to get out and the tight fit alone would not be a deal breaker. What worries me more is each time I put the car in reverse it went backwards a short way but then stopped and went into neutral and applied the parking brake (without me touching the gear selecter or brake button). When I parked up at the dealership at the end of the test drive the same thing happened. Our driveway has a slope downward and the parking space at the dealership has a slope upward. I mentioned this to the salesman and he said the classic "They all do that" (had to force myself not to laugh!).

Has anybody else had this issue and/or does anybody know if there is something I need to overide/switch off to stop the probem (it makes it a bit unnerving manouvering into what is already a fairly tight space). I'm looking to buy a 60 (with Lounge interior) so if this is an issue caused by one of the "toys" on the top end model it might not be an issue anyway?

Thanks for any help.

RichR

Post by RichR »

Do you have auto hold enabled? If so, try disabling it and see if that rectifies the behaviour. This is a very common issue on all makes with auto hold handbrakes, it just seems the Enyaq and ID.3/4 are a bit keen at thinking you've stopped and putting the handbrake on when you're moving slowly on a slight hill.

Skoda and VW (and possibly Audi, I haven't read the manual for the Q4 etron) recommend disabling auto hold when carrying out parking manoeuvres, and even show you how to add a shortcut on the favourites menu (because there's no separate button for it). My sister's Vauxhall Astra is the same though - it makes getting into her garage a pain because it's on a slope. Turn off auto hold and use the brake pedal and the problem goes away.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Billy Whiz

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Rich,

I did see a message about disabling auto hold after I parked back up at the dealership. I'm going to have a drive in a 60 in the next few days (as I want to drive a car that matches what I'd be ordering) so I will try doing as you suggest.

Thanks again.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post