Looking for Home Charge point recommendations

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
AlanMB

Post by AlanMB »

Have been recommended PodPoint by my dealer, but seeing mixed reviews. what is the general view on the home charge point?
Iv 60 on Order, build week 34. Race Blue, Parking pack basic, transport pack, drive basic and Climate plus

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\. I’m very happy with my PodPoint which was ordered in May or June and installed in Sept (could have been installed 3 weeks after I ordered it but I delayed the install).

When I ordered, they were very easy to get hold of. However about a month ago I needed them to sort out something and they were a lot harder to reach. They are probably incredibly busy and struggling to keep up with demand.

The actual unit is very good and charges my Enyaq faultlessly.

They will need you to have at least an 80A main fuse installed; if it’s any lower, they may restrict charging to 3kW until you’ve upgraded which is what I had to do.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Deleted User 368

Post by Deleted User 368 »

FYI - I phoned Podpoint to chase my order through (2 weeks had passed) and they have now passed it to the installers with an estimate of early January; however the big news given to me was that the government home charger grant stops on 31 March 2022; Podpoint are so busy and apparently anyone ordering from Podpoint from today will have to pay full price because all units with a grant must be installed by 31 March and they have sold loads and are way too booked up. It may be worth getting in quick well before 31 March 22 for a home charger and checking around all and any options.
Roo1980

Post by Roo1980 »

While there is nothing wrong with a pod point, I'd look around at all the others. There is a fair bit of choice and one of those may suit your needs better (like if you are thinking of getting solar in the near future).
Also look on the government's ozev installer list as there is probably an independent nearby who would also be able to give advice as well as install it.

You'd probably get another make installer quicker too by the sound of it.
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

I was concerned that the ending of the grant in March would put pressure on suppliers and installers, so decided to get my skates on. I was looking for a charge point that was discrete and compact and ended up choosing between the Sync EV or EO Mini Pro. The Sync EV won out in the end especially that it has built in earth protection. The EO would have required an earth rod or additional earthing device which all added costs. Also, if you have solar, Sync EV have a software update planned which will enable the point to take advantage of any surplus solar generation. However you will need to have a CT clamp installed.

I used the Sync EV website to complete an easy online survey, uploading photos of where I wanted the charge point located, the consumer unit, the meter box and mani fuse, together with one of the earth bonding. The quote was received from Mr Charger, Sync EV's local installer within 2 days and the installation was set for a week and a day later.

The installation is neat and tidy, and the whole process was efficient and pain-free.

All I need now is an EV!
iV 80 Suite, Arctic Silver plus various packages. ME 3.1
Ordered late Oct 21 for delivery June 2022. Scheduled production now Week 29 (was previously late September). In transit 25 July 22. Delivered as ordered 17 August 22.
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

I have a PodPoint and it works fine using the PodPoint app to schedule charging.

I ordered direct from Podpoint when I heard my car was in transit. You have to provide proof of new car order or ownership for the OZEV grant and take some photos of your electrics and the proposed site for the charging point - it’s not a big deal.

Once they had the order, claimed the OZEV grant and checked your photos etc, they get on and arrange install. I was contacted within a day by a local installer and it was installed a week later with no problem.

I chose the PodPoint because it was best value for me @ £599 and I needed the 7.5 metres cable on the tethered unit. The cable wraps around the unit tidily - although it comes with separate holster to park the cable which some find a little less pleasing than a slot in the unit itself.

I’m more than happy with it - and it doesn’t have bright flashing lights to annoy the neighbours.
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.
uhhu

Post by uhhu »

I have a PodPoint charger and it works fine, as does the app for scheduled charging. The customer service is terrible though.

If I hadn't of got my PodPoint free with my previous car, I may have ended up with an Andersen EV Charger: https://andersen-ev.com.
Deasea

Post by Deasea »

Hypervolt. Great unit. Great customer support. Can be hard wired to router. Check out their website
REDEnyaq

Post by REDEnyaq »

Because I have solar PV panels on the roof, I had a shorter choice list and eventually chose a Zappi. It is more expensive because to do the smart stuff, directing PV excess to the car it needs 2 CT clamps and transmitters. But up until a month ago when the sun went down all my charges were from the PV's. It does charge much slower than the night time slots but as I'm retired and work from home having it plugged in for long periods itsn't a problem. There is more to the choice than just the price of the charger. There seems to be a supply issue on many chargers these days so I would say don't hang about with the order, although for the installer to get the grant he will need at least the EV registration. I almost had a car with out the charger.
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

REDEnyaq wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:50 pm There seems to be a supply issue on many chargers these days so I would say don't hang about with the order, although for the installer to get the grant he will need at least the EV registration. I almost had a car with out the charger.
The rules have changed regarding evidence of ownership. All you need is proof that a car is on order. The following is taken from the gov.uk site.
For applications where a VRN is not available, evidence that an order has been placed for a vehicle must be provided (for example, an email from manufacturer or an order form.
iV 80 Suite, Arctic Silver plus various packages. ME 3.1
Ordered late Oct 21 for delivery June 2022. Scheduled production now Week 29 (was previously late September). In transit 25 July 22. Delivered as ordered 17 August 22.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post