Looking for Home Charge point recommendations

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

I work for PodPoint so I'm bias but I will tell you we are no longer taking orders that have the OZEV grant discount if you want a Pod with the OZEV grant you'll need to be referred through the partner network
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

Iโ€™m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Might work for a well know charging company ๐Ÿ˜‰

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about ๐Ÿ˜‚

Kwesi

Post by Kwesi »

Heard about this. Don't know if it's the same with all home charge. I yesterday applied for Hypervolt as it also comes with government grant and discount for keywords.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Had my Zappi installed the other day but no car yet. Has anyone with a Zappi found that it worked the way you wanted, specifically with regards to taking your solar excess or the proportion of solar you specify?
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
citylearn

Post by citylearn »

Definitely Zappi ... worked well remotely even when skoda app didnt ... glad I purchased though haven been able to charge from solar much as too dull
Had the Enyaq for over a year. iV80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 19โ€ Regulus, 125kW, Electric Tow Bar, Climate, Light & View, Heat Pump, Convenience Package +, Asst Drive +, Comfort Seat Basic, Tethered Zappi for solar panels.
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

One thing to be aware of is that the car can only charge at a minimum of 1.4 kW, so if you use the eco+ mode I think it is called, it won't start charging until the solar is generating more than that. Which I think for most people in the UK won't be very often in the winter months!

Obviously if you charge the car using the other modes when you are generating some solar energy, you can top up with grid power.
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Ordered 20th December 2021, mine 21st March 2023
Charger: Zappi
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

snalbansed wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:26 pm One thing to be aware of is that the car can only charge at a minimum of 1.4 kW, so if you use the eco+ mode I think it is called, it won't start charging until the solar is generating more than that. Which I think for most people in the UK won't be very often in the winter months!
Obviously if you charge the car using the other modes when you are generating some solar energy, you can top up with grid power.
I like my Zappi. Works well, feels solid and reliable. We've had good customer service from the installer, regular software/firmware updates, and the support forums are good. Eco+ is just solar (all cars need a minimum input of 1.4kW or so though), Eco is a mixture of solar + grid to get to that minimum or whatever level you set it at, Fast is standard 7.4kW. For cheap night time rates (e.g. Octopus Go or Economy 7) the scheduler/timer works well, providing 7.4kW for the hours you tell it, which is important until Skoda update the car's scheduler. Zappi also integrates well with battery or hot water storage, if that's your thing. It doesn't need an earth rod, and you have clamps by your fuse box that tell Zappi how much the whole house is using, so it's impossible to blow the house fuse! (others probably do this too).

I have also used a PodPoint charger with the Enyaq, and that's always worked fine for me too, including the podpoint scheduler, though the Zappi cable feels subjectively more substantial than the podpoint's.

You don't have to wait for the car to arrive before you install, regardless of charger. Quoted costs are for "standard" installs, so read the small print what that includes, e.g. length of run from consumer unit, how many walls drilled through, any awkward crawling under floorboards, so make sure you're comparing like-for-like quotes.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share ยฃ100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
Rowly

Post by Rowly »

I know that this might be an obvious thing but my Zappi home 7kw charger has a very long tethered charging cable and I could easily reach the car & use it with a couple of windings still on the holder. Is this ok or is it like an extension lead and bad practice. Does the cable need to be fully unwound?

Not that I've got an EV to charge at the mo........ :roll:
iV80 Black Magic ecoSuite, Heat Pump, Convenience+, Sunroof, Assisted Drive +, Comfort Basic, Climate Basic, Transport, Infotainment+. Orderd 24/10/21 Caffyns Tunbridge Wells. Confirmed build WK40/22 - Delivered 12/12/22
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Rowly wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:25 pm I know that this might be an obvious thing but my Zappi home 7kw charger has a very long tethered charging cable and I could easily reach the car & use it with a couple of windings still on the holder. Is this ok or is it like an extension lead and bad practice. Does the cable need to be fully unwound?

Not that I've got an EV to charge at the mo........ :roll:
Like all leads, you are supposed to fully unwind them. Failing to do so can cause them to heat up so much they catch fire. In reality, this is probably unlikely to happen. Maybe on a hot day with the sun on it as well. However, our installer said to fully unwind because it will get melty plastic hot. Better to be safe than sorry,
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

It is safe enough to leave a single layer still wrapped on the charge point, if you want to be pedantic make sure they are loose and have a slight gap between each wrap.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

Iโ€™m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Might work for a well know charging company ๐Ÿ˜‰

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about ๐Ÿ˜‚
Rowly

Post by Rowly »

Thanks guys..
iV80 Black Magic ecoSuite, Heat Pump, Convenience+, Sunroof, Assisted Drive +, Comfort Basic, Climate Basic, Transport, Infotainment+. Orderd 24/10/21 Caffyns Tunbridge Wells. Confirmed build WK40/22 - Delivered 12/12/22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post