Auto dimming door mirror - goes too dark ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Does anyone else think that the drivers’ door mirror auto-dims too much?

Yesterday on an unlit dual carriageway, I could see what appeared to be a car some distance behind me, but on the outside lane (I was on the inside lane) and I was about to overtake the car in front of me when suddenly my blind spot warning system kicked in. A* for the blind spot system!

It turned out that the apparent ‘car’ way off behind me, was in fact a motorbike with two headlights, almost in line with the rear of my car! The auto-dimming function had made the whole ‘scene’ in my wing mirror very dark and ambiguously making the motorbike look like a car, much further back. All I could see were lights, but no ‘shape’ of what was actually there.

I hate auto-dimming wing mirrors; as I’ve mentioned before here, I think they are dangerous and totally unnecessary!

Just wondering how others are getting on with them? The last time I had them was on an Audi 13 years ago and they were dangerous then (my opinion).

In over 30 years behind the wheel with an estimated 1million + miles under my belt, I’ve never ever come across a situation where the lights in my drivers’ door mirror are too bright. Yet these stupid auto-dimming systems definitely make them too dark ! 😤

Update:
Temporary solution which seems to work - a small square of black tape over the sensor in the rear view mirror 👍. Unfortunately that sensor controls both the wing mirror and the rear view mirror dimming; I don’t have an issue with the rear view mirror getting too dark, only the wing mirror. I’ll have to ask the dealership to disconnect the relevant cables in the wing mirror, first time it goes in for anything.

Rant over. Back to loving the Enyaq again 🤣
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I guess it’s just me then ? 🤣 (Although a few people at a Tesla forum have also complained about this issue too.)

Anyway my ‘more elegant than a piece of tape’ solution, which works really well and gives me the option to enable dimming again whenever I want, is a laptop camera privacy thing over the sensor in the rear view mirror. This sensor is also for the annoying door mirror dimming system.

By the way, the only way I could actually see the sensor, was to shine a torch into the mirror to locate its position.

C5B81F87-43C2-434D-9B1F-1AA01304E3A8.jpeg

CA73076A-1698-4E3A-8BCB-9468C138F4B9.jpeg

Last edited by Goaty on Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

Is this a standard fit? Not sure I have this as I haven’t noticed it. Not that I do much night driving in any case.
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Bryanmet wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:44 pm Is this a standard fit? Not sure I have this as I haven’t noticed it. Not that I do much night driving in any case.

I think it may be standard? I’ve been doing quite a lot of night driving over the holidays, particularly into London a few times and that’s where I really noticed the issue as reported above. I had a similar experience years ago with my A4’s wing mirror dimming - again in London - and nearly took a cyclist out (he had no lights but was completely invisible in the wing mirror because the van behind me had badly adjusted lights, hence the whole dimming system activated).
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

Neat solution, but not a problem I’ve encountered in the best part of twenty years of self-dimming mirrors. Might just be lucky?
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

MikeJL wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:36 pm Neat solution, but not a problem I’ve encountered in the best part of twenty years of self-dimming mirrors. Might just be lucky?

In my Enyaq, the wing mirror gets a lot darker than the rear view mirror. Almost totally black 😫

Or… Maybe I need to eat a few more carrots 🥕 !!
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

Goaty wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:40 pm

In my Enyaq, the wing mirror gets a lot darker than the rear view mirror. Almost totally black 😫

Or… Maybe I need to eat a few more carrots 🥕 !!
I’ll post again when we get our car, but carrots might be an alternative solution 😀
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
darkside66
Location: In The middle (Leicestershire) then over to the right (Norfolk)

Post by darkside66 »

Not had a problem with mine
Sportline 80 Black Magic Comfort Seat + climate + infotainment + Drive Sport + Assisted Drive Betria 21 Standard charging
Mrs Darkside Vauxhall Mokka e
Yipeeee we are an all electric household :D :D Oh no just remembered I have a petrol mower :o
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Does anyone have any images of how much darker they get?
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

ChangoMutney wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:31 pm Does anyone have any images of how much darker they get?

That’s a bit difficult to get, as it would mean holding the phone to take a picture, whilst driving. It is only the drivers’ mirror which dims, not the passenger side.

I might be able to simulate it parked up somewhere though.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post