Reversing light

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
FranHG

Post by FranHG »

A very simple question. Does the Enyaq have one or two reversing lights.

We have one showing but not sure if that is correct or if bulb gone.
Iv60 Suite 100kw, Arctic Silver, Battery Pack/Heat Pump, Assisted Drive, Chrome, Climate, Comfort Seat, Convenience, Drive, Parking Pack

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

FranHG wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:40 pm A very simple question. Does the Enyaq have one or two reversing lights.

We have one showing but not sure if that is correct or if bulb gone.

If you have Matrix LED lights, there will be two.

If you have standard LED lights, you will have just one reversing light (like me) 👍

The easiest way to tell if a car has standard lights (when they’re off) is if they look like this at the front:

F7AD1A62-FC1E-41C3-9CC9-9C9BE0480860.jpeg

4B7D673B-5EF2-42CD-A4E6-552898911C0E.jpeg

iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

As he said - one is standard (on most makes of car), but you get two with the matrix LED lights (standard on Sportline).

Also the tail lights/brake lights do not extend onto the boot lid with the non-matrix setup, or do the funky animations when you unlock the car :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ no. 😕. They don’t 😭
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

Also you don't get the poor weather lights (ie the 2020's version of bumper mounted foglights) at the front. The beams for these actually come out the side of the headlamp units, not the front, in a wide, low fan that really lights up the edges of the road (without dazzling you or other road users) in fog/heavy rain.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Having driven in some pretty horrendous conditions since getting the Enyaq (for the UK anyway), I would say that the Standard LED lights at the front are quite good, but I feel their beam sits a bit low on the horizon - with there being a fairly distinct difference between the lit zone and the unlit zone (I have adjusted them to be at the highest setting).

They’re not as good as my last cars’ lights, which were Xenon’s and illuminated the whole scene ahead well, without creating the ‘light/dark’ zone I have with the Enyaq.

Don’t get me wrong - the Enyaq’s standard LED lights are good (and miles better than our Qashqai’s halogens) but if I were to order again, I’d definitely go for Matrix LED’s now.

That said, the Standard LED full beam is very impressive 👍
FranHG

Post by FranHG »

Many thanks everyone
Iv60 Suite 100kw, Arctic Silver, Battery Pack/Heat Pump, Assisted Drive, Chrome, Climate, Comfort Seat, Convenience, Drive, Parking Pack
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Tesla 3’s seem to have one reverse light too - at least the one I looked at recently does.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Most cars do - the UNECE lighting regulations only call for one, and also one rear fog light - so it makes sense for manufacturers to put the reverse light on one side and the fog light on the other. Two reverse lights tend to be more common on larger vehicles where you might not be able to see just one from all angles (eg on a 4x4 with a tailgate mounted spare wheel).

And remember as defined in the lighting regulations, the reverse light is there as a warning to other road users that the vehicle may move backwards. It is not intended to illuminate the area behind the vehicle. That function is fulfilled by 'work lights' which have separate requirements. It just so happens that on some makes of car, the reverse light is bright enough to provide illumination.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post