Rapid Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

I understand the charging systems but my question is I've now used local rapids 3 different time and on no occasion have I ever achieved high 40 to 50kW rate.

Charged for 45 mins (33 to 80%) the other night and only got between 30 & 34.5kW we had been on a 80mile motorway trip stopped at the house for 15 mins then I took the car 2 miles to a charging hub and plugged in to a 50kW with 2 other vehicles using chargers at the hub out of 12 total (6 50kW & 6 22kW)

I only have 50kW charging but i would expect to be getting 40+kW at a minimum and slowly creeping up towards 50kW lowest I had was 25kW but battery would have been stone cold.

I know for 100kW the battery has to be below 15% is this the same for standard 50kW too ?

On a 22kW AC I will generally get the full 11kW on my home pod I'll pull 6.5kW so AC us fine to me but DC I feel something is amiss.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂

Delbert_Wilkins

Post by Delbert_Wilkins »

BioHzrd wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:20 pm I understand the charging systems but my question is I've now used local rapids 3 different time and on no occasion have I ever achieved high 40 to 50kW rate.

Charged for 45 mins (33 to 80%) the other night and only got between 30 & 34.5kW we had been on a 80mile motorway trip stopped at the house for 15 mins then I took the car 2 miles to a charging hub and plugged in to a 50kW with 2 other vehicles using chargers at the hub out of 12 total (6 50kW & 6 22kW)

I only have 50kW charging but i would expect to be getting 40+kW at a minimum and slowly creeping up towards 50kW lowest I had was 25kW but battery would have been stone cold.

I know for 100kW the battery has to be below 15% is this the same for standard 50kW too ?

On a 22kW AC I will generally get the full 11kW on my home pod I'll pull 6.5kW so AC us fine to me but DC I feel something is amiss.
My experience so far is that no DC charger gives anything close to the advertised rate - and if you look at the info left by others on Zapmap, it’s not an Enyaq thing. For example, when I was in Yorkshire the other week I charged at a gridserve on the motorway a few times. It was advertised at 120kW, but no-one seemingly gets more than about 35kW from it. I think the most I’ve got is 55kW from an Ionity charger.
iV80 Suite | Quartz Grey | Comfort Basic | Family Plus | Assisted Drive Basic | 125kW | Rear Side Airbags | Heat Pump | 20” Vega Wheels.
Ordered 31/8; Build week 44; Collected 28/12/21.
RichR

Post by RichR »

There are a lot of factors as to what rate the battery will be charged at. Some are car related (temperature of battery, state of charge etc), some are charger (shared supply, voltage used by the car, temperature of internals, etc). One of the most common issues is that although the charger hardware may be capable of say 150kW, it might not have a supply capable of that. And if the location has more than one charger, they might be sharing a supply that is unable to allow all of them to provide what they're capable of. Some can only achieve the advertised power on 800V cars (the Enyaq is a 400V system) as it's the current the unit (and cable) can cope with that's the limiting factor. The worst are the ones with more than one cable from a single unit - ie CCS and CHADEMO for example. If both are in use, each car only gets 50% of what the unit can supply.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
orrery

Post by orrery »

Delbert_Wilkins wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:30 am For example, when I was in Yorkshire the other week I charged at a gridserve on the motorway a few times. It was advertised at 120kW, but no-one seemingly gets more than about 35kW from it. I think the most I’ve got is 55kW from an Ionity charger.
Grideserve took over the motorway chargers from Ecotricity as the network was heading towards being derelict. They're hastily been going round replacing the chargers with more modern ones, so they work at least. They are still limited by the original electrical installation, so the available power is lower than the charger should supply. There are also some issues with some odd machines being designed for dual bay working, so the power is halved again.

Once they are completely in control, the installations will be expanded to be typically 8 or 12 chargers, with new electrical feeds.

Current issues appear to be:
- Welcome Break are refusing to allow the updates, probably because they are trying to start their own charging network
- They are waiting for a software update to allow intelligent power sharing between the two halves of a dual charger
- Their installs didn't include 3 phase 'type 2' points for cars that can't use DC (early Zoe's)
- Chademo users were unhappy with low number of Chads, the majority are CCS.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I think they'll get there - Ecotricity built up the network over a period of years, and Gridserve are attempting to upgrade it as quickly as possible now there's a lot more demand. But yes, the original stations were rated for 50kW maximum, and the supplies to them won't be much higher capacity at most places. And at the time of install, Chademo was the dominant DC connector, now it's not by a long way.

The days of seeing a lonely unused Ecotricity charge point (unless it wasn't working) are getting rarer. I did manage to get a few free charges on my Outlander off Ecotricity ones on 'free vend' - normally I wouldn't bother charging the Outlander's 8kWh battery in public, as for the 20 minutes it took, you'd use it all in the next 15 minutes on the motorway. But if it's free and I was stopping for lunch then I sometimes did.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Today we achieved 40kW well I say wee my partner did while parked at a hub only one other car using the hub so may be the reason behind it.

60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
greg_s

Post by greg_s »

I wasn't aware that battery needed to be below 15% to charge at 100Kw, is there more info on this?

I used a shell station over the weekend for the first time which was a 92kw charger, charging from 22% the charge rate peaked at 54Kw so well below the 100Kw maximum that should be achievable. Albeit I got to 70 % in roughly 30 mins so about 50% boost to battery in that time.
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

greg_s wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:30 pm I wasn't aware that battery needed to be below 15% to charge at 100Kw, is there more info on this?
EV database suggests maximum available up to around 30% charge: https://ev-database.uk/car/1280/Skoda-Enyaq-iV-80
But the car achieving the max rate also depends on battery temperature.
From the charger's perspective, it depends on load management and a host of other things cleverer people than me will no doubt list.
For some chargers the quoted max rate is only available for 800V cars.
Long story short, it's a rare moment of joy for any car to achieve the quoted maximum.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post