11kw difference in charge speed?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Stripy

Post by Stripy »

Hi all,

Yesterday I had to get a charge in Manchester, before I could get all the way home, so stopped at the MFG chargers on Chester Road in Stretford.

I soon climbed to 97kW, as I was pretty low on SoC - however, I was impressed with this, I thought I'd double check with the MySkoda app - and this consistently reported the charge speed 9-13 kw lower.

So the charger would show 97kw, but the app never got over 88kw. At one point I registered a difference of 13 kw, and I was a bit surprised by that.
When I stopped the charge some minutes later, I noticed, it said it had added 19.41kWh in 14 minutes, and that the car had now a SoC of 36%

The 36% is correct, but when I then start to think of how much 36% is in terms of the kWh the battery can have - which is roughly 20.8 kWh.
I had arrived with a Soc of 9%, so I got 27% added - or 15.6 kWh

So question is.... does the charger "overcharge" or is all items at "fault" and just not showing anything correct?

IMG_4677.jpeg

IMG_4675.jpeg

IMG_4676.PNG

Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

Depends on the charger which power it reports.
-may be power output before losses
- after losses
- after losses and auxiliary power usage (ac, heating, cooling)

This should be standardized, especially if you are charged by energy gained, then you shouldnt be paying for the internal resistance of the system heating the cables
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

I read somewhere the chargers show what they are pulling, not what they are delivering. There are losses in-between. Not sure if they would account for the whole difference though. I'll leave that for others more qualified to comment on.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
Stripy

Post by Stripy »

Cheers for feedback.
I was just amazed as when I have been at other chargers, no matter brand, they've been within 0.5-1kw accuracy so to see here there is ten times as much, made me feel there was something dodgy going on to their benefit

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post