Running costs

New to the Skoda Enyaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

Dad wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:47 am Ricky, using the IO tariff of 7.5p to calculate the running costs is absolutely fair. The days of having a cheap off peak rate means your peak rate is pushed up have gone (on Octopus anyway). Our peak rate with Octopus is almost identical to the standard tariff.
That’s not true. The current peak rate is 31p and capped rate is 27p albeit small differences now as opposed to 42p vs 30p before this month.

Also there are things you won’t be able to avoid in the peak hours - such as making diner/needing the lights on when it’s dark etc especially now winter is coming. (Not the blue eyed undead).

Dad

Post by Dad »

Hmm, our rate is slightly less than that.

Even using your the rates that you mention above, if you move the high usage items to the off peak hours then it over compensates. Using Octo Aid app, If I look at the days where I have not charged the car our off peak consumption is 34% so maths still do work out. We are comfortably able to move all of our laundry and dishwasher to off peak. I understand that not everyone will be able to do that but it’s possible with some changes in habits.
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

Octopus Referral code to receive £50 credit
Use this link https://share.octopus.energy/clean-dingo-514
Or referral code clean-dingo-514
CrowSysE243

Post by CrowSysE243 »

ricky10 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:59 pm I don’t like the idea people just use off peak rate to work out running cost.

What about your peak tariff compared with say capped rate. Your house still needs leccy to run. By having an EV tariff you are going to run up the house leccy bill.

And the comparison is possibly even worse when compared with a tracker tariff where leccy rate has been around 15p consistently over the last few months.
I agree that calculating running cost solely on the basis of off peak rate is too simplistic and will generally give an optimistic answer. For the domestic useage the increase in peak electricity costs can increase the overall domestic cost, depending on the use profile. In my area Variable Octopus currently costs 27.511p/kWh where IO costs 30.6p/kWh peak rate and 7.5p/kWh off peak. If all the domestic use is during peak hours then the use costs, excluding standing charge, would increase by over 11% which has to be offset against the savings from off peak charging. If however the average demand is the same over the peak and off peak periods then the average rate is 24.825p/kWh which gives a 10% saving on the cost of domestic electricity and could be offset against the running costs of the car.

Cooking, ironing, use off kettle, coffee machine, radio, television etc are going to be concentrated in peak rate, however fridge, freezer, networking etc are likely to be on 24/7 and dishwasher, washing machine can often be operated off peak so there are significant savings opportunities. Using 1 minute interval where available, or otherwise using 15 minute interval, demand data for typical days where there is no car charging and the dishwasher was not used is showing typically 30p saving per day for domestic usage. Once solar power is taken into account, because this is used during peak hours, the saving due to switching to IO increases to 40p per day. This will vary day to day but I expect the effect on domestic use to at worst be cost neutral and probably to be beneficial. With charging 2 cars I expect a considerable saving. As the PodPoint charger is not aware of times where IO chooses to extend charging into peak hours the costs that it reports will be slight over estimates, however, for simplicity, I will use these values to assess the car running costs and assume that there is no increase or decrease in domestic costs due to the change to IO which should be taken into account.
iV80 Loft, 19"Regulus, Energy Blue, Maxx Pack, Travel Pack, Heat pump. Order Jul22. BuildWk17-23. UK WE23/6. Available 30/6/23. Collected 3/7/23 Untethered PodPoint. Third Rock mode 2 charger with Tough Leads modular extension lead and adapters.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

I have a EmonCMS system which takes detailled energy logs.

I have on a few occasions exported the household use (excluding the car entirely) and compared the data between the standard tariff and Go/GoFaster.

The typical result was a draw. There was very little difference for the normal household use between Go and the standard tariff. The only thing we've shifted is the dishwasher. Instead of starting it at 7pm when we've finished dinner, we simply set a delay for a few hours so it starts around midnight. We dont bother with the washing machine as its too noisy.

Ofcourse your situation will vary, you can pull the half hourly metering data from Octopus as a CSV file and do some basic maths to get an idea.

With the addition of solar the day time premium matters even less. I've since also added a battery, which charges up overnight on the cheap rate and runs the house during the day.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
Dad

Post by Dad »

The Octo Aid app is quite handy. I can see that my average price per KWh on days with no EV charging is 22p and my overall average in a month (including EV charging usually two or three times a month) is just under 20p.
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

Octopus Referral code to receive £50 credit
Use this link https://share.octopus.energy/clean-dingo-514
Or referral code clean-dingo-514
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

Dad wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:37 pm The Octo Aid app is quite handy. I can see that my average price per KWh on days with no EV charging is 22p and my overall average in a month (including EV charging usually two or three times a month) is just under 20p.
That’s not as good as octopus tracker which has been average 16p for months and months. Even there are days you get 5p per unit.
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

ricky10 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:53 pm
Dad wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:37 pm The Octo Aid app is quite handy. I can see that my average price per KWh on days with no EV charging is 22p and my overall average in a month (including EV charging usually two or three times a month) is just under 20p.
That’s not as good as octopus tracker which has been average 16p for months and months. Even there are days you get 5p per unit.
How do you make sure the car only charges during low rate periods? Do you get 16p all day, or is it varying throughout the day depending on national demand?
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

I regularly get an average cost of well under 16p a kWh if my car needs a significant charge overnight on Octopus Intelligent.
Those using their cars a lot each day will be doing much better than I do.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 8.41.30 am.jpeg.png

Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
RobH

Post by RobH »

If you have an Enyaq and have Solar panels then you move to Octopus Intelligent tariff and and Outgoing Octopus there’s a lot of free motoring to be had.
Export all the solar (minus what the house uses in the day, obviously) ie don’t use it to charge the car. For this you are paid 15p/KWh. Charge overnight at 7.5p/KWh. Depends on how much solar you manage to export during the day, but let’s say on a reasonably sunny day in September you manage to export 15 kWh that means you can charge 30 kWh overnight and it costs you the square root of bugger all!

If V2G/V2H arrives before I die things will be even better! 😀
hughindevon

Post by hughindevon »

Hi,

A slightly different question. Does anyone have any information on the efficiency of the on-board inverter? I have an 80iv Sportline and if my Zappi charger is telling me I have sent 36.71 kWh to the car I want to know how many kWh are going into the battery and how many are 'wasted'. For home power inverters, efficiencies of 90 - 95% are typical but I'm curious how well an inverter that can handle very high power( more than 100 kW) does? Any other anoraks out there?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post