Seeking a used 60 with a towbar

New to the Skoda Enyaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
CaptainSB

Post by CaptainSB »

In late December or early January I will be ready to get my first Enyaq. I can’t afford to get a new one but I do need a towbar for our annual camping trips (just a small trailer).
I keep reading the Škoda information that indicates that the car must be factory fitted with a tow bar or have factory preparation for it to have a towbar fitted. If not, towing capacity won’t be on the VIN plate so it would fail an MOT.
This seems very strange if the car is physically capable of towing!
Anyway, if anyone within about 100 miles of Cambridge is planning on selling their Enyaq with a towbar (or prep) I may be interested. Alternatively, can you shed any light on the legislation regarding fitting a towbar to a car that isn’t prepared?
Thanks… looking forward to sharing more when I have my car!

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

I didn't ask for a towbar or towing prep, but my VIN plate shows the car can tow. I doubt that I am unique, but the easiest way is to check the VIN plate of any car you are interested in.

As you've read if the car isn't rated to tow, you will be breaking the law if you do so.
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
CrowSysE243

Post by CrowSysE243 »

The tow bar preparation was included in the Clever options package, and therefore in the Plus, Advanced and Maxx packages. Before these packages were introduced (sometime in H1 2022 I think - certainly before July when I ordered mine) it was a standalone option. The brocuhures only say that cars without the option may not have the towing weights on the VIN plate, preventing legal towing, so it is quite possible that many cars without the option explicity chosen would be OK but it is worth checking.
iV80 Loft, 19"Regulus, Energy Blue, Maxx Pack, Travel Pack, Heat pump. Order Jul22. BuildWk17-23. UK WE23/6. Available 30/6/23. Collected 3/7/23 Untethered PodPoint. Third Rock mode 2 charger with Tough Leads modular extension lead and adapters.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Mine also has the towing limits on the VIN plate without having Towbar prep. The V5 also lists the towing capacity.

I too saw that blurb in the brochure and checked immediately on collecting the car. I suspect its more of a warning of a possibility rather than a hard rule.

If its missing from the VIN plate, then legally it can never tow. If its on the VIN plate, then its just a case of wiring and programming. Skoda themselves even sell a wiring kit for cars without prep!

Essentially if it has prep, there is a subloom in the rear with all the connections available to the vehicle canbus etc that the towbar module needs. If it doesnt have prep, you need to add that harness yourself and bring it thru the car to the front and connect it up to the body control ecu etc. The aftermarket towbar units come with the extra wiring needed for cars without prep.

I'm actually quite annoyed with myself that i didnt add the towbar, as the optional £750 for a fully integrated retractable unit is infact a very good price. It would also sidestep all the software update issues that people have been reporting after having aftermarket bars installed, which is the biggest reason i've held off from installing one myself so far.

If you purchase the towbar kit from a Main Dealer (for 2x the price of an other aftermarket towbar) they add a special software token to the cars build which updates the factory codings. Thus with the official bar, you never have any coding issues. With an aftermarket kit, any time the cars software is reset (eg by a main dealer performing a software update) they set all the codings back to the default, and the car then has a fit becuase it can see an unknown module on the bus (the towbar).
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post