EV Charger Etiquette?

New to the Skoda Enyaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
ecodriver

Post by ecodriver »

Hi All,

I'm new to the world of EVs having recently taken delivery of an Enyaq - 800 miles on the clock and loving it so far.
While I wait for my home charger to be fitted (Looped supply DSO intervention needed), I'm stuck with public charging, which is not as much hassle as I thought it would be as 80% on the battery will comfortably do my commute for the week (3 days at 55 miles round trip).

Anyway while on public charge yesterday somebody came up and asked how long I had left - quick look at the dashboard and politely told the chap that the car said 25 minutes to go. He then stands there, looks at the charge screen, then informs me that he can get a free charge at this point with his membership card. My response... "no worries mate, and in 25 minutes you'll be able to get all of the free electricity you need". He still stands there in what has now become an awkward silence, again looks at the charge screen which is showing 55% on the battery and says to me "some people get very annoyed about this type of thing, but not me".

Now I'm wondering if I've missed some EV etiquette, you know like when you play golf for the first time and you don't realise that you shouldn't step across your partners line on the green!

Admittedly I was fitting roof bars on the vehicle while it was charging, but I just saw this as a way to kill time while the car charged rather than walk to a local shop/bar to pass an hour.
The car was clearly charging, as could be seen on the screen which he looked at twice.

Am I missing something here, or was this chap just being a bit passive aggressive.

Chris__M

Post by Chris__M »

New to it too - am still waiting for the car. So commenting a bit in ignorance, but interested in the discussion.

If you were at the charger first and actually charging, I don't think you were doing anything wrong. If there were multiple chargers there, and the one you were using was the only one he could use for free, then I can understand his frustration, but it is not your problem.

I could perhaps entertain the notion if you were on 80+% and slowly topping up to 100%, but even then, I think you are entitled to charge.
Enyaq iV 60. Energy Blue with EcoSuite, 19" wheels, 100kW charging.
Comfort Basic, Assisted Drive Plus (Drive Sport), HUD, Parking Basic, Transport, Panoramic Sunroof.
ecodriver

Post by ecodriver »

Yes I'd take on board both of those points and understand his frustration, but none of those applied at the time.

It was a single charger in a small car park on its own. I was only going to 80% as to be honest that's all I need for the weekly commute.
I'm not sure this charger is well known, and he's probably been used to having it available whenever he needs a free charge.

Anyway he ultimately did me a favour, because I was paying 30p per KWh on that charger, and he's now told me it's free with membership so I've applied for a CYC card. He'll be seeing more of me once that comes through :)
Pict

Post by Pict »

Doesn't sound to me that you were doing anything wrong and they were just trying to make you feel guilty.

If you were plugged in and actively charging then he just has to be patient or look elsewhere for an available charger. It is your choice if you wish to end the charge earlier than originally intended, don't let anyone try and bully you into moving

My wife and I keeps some TV series to binge watch on our tablet while charging so quite often can be seen just sat watching TV while the car does its stuff. Fitting roof bars is a perfectly acceptable activity :D
60 Lounge, Quartz Grey, 100 kW charging, Tow bar, Sunroof, Comfort Basic, Family Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Basic

Mrs PIct has MG ZS EV, so a fully electric household
Miket

Post by Miket »

Can’t see any problem here, unless you was on his driveway and using his charger😂😂

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post