Winter Tyres

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

I think south european winter tyres are optimised for the temperatures.

Nordic tyres have snow+ice tech too.

One gets around in Finland with european tyres, but it's a huge safety risk considering traction, sliding, braking distances. Guess UK will do fine with the european tyres, or even "all-season" tyres.

anglefire

Post by anglefire »

I used to have winter tyres for my Land Rover Discovery and then my BM 5 series (Didn't help that one much!) the Disco could go anywhere on Winters it was amazing.
When I got the Skoda Superb and needed new tyres I got all season tyres - so not proper winter but don't wear out in the summer - and they are brilliant for the weather we get in the UK - and in the summer when its wet, they work really well too. Win Win in my book and saves having to swap tyres every 6 months and storage.
Lard

Post by Lard »

Have had the Bridgestone Alenza Sports on my 80x for the last couple of months.
No discernible reduction in range (apart from due to the temperature!).
In the cold spell a couple of weeks ago I got out of a steep farmyard with compacted snow without any problems. Had to accelerate like a dick to get any slipping on non-gritted roads.
Officially these are all-seasons and I'm planning of running these all year when I wear through the summer tyres stored at the garage!
citylearn

Post by citylearn »

Hi everyone. I have Enyaq IV 80 with R19 regulus alloys and Hankook tyres. Not been impressed with the ride quality of the car with bumps far more noticeable and jarring compared to past experience of SUVs and for some time I thought ride was due to transport blocks not being removed. Assured not. Last winter had no problems with handling in snow etc but since then tyres with wear after 13k miles (around 4mm tread left) and a recent trip to Yorkshire Dales resulted in failing to get up slope into pub car park in what was snow/ice before Xmas. Also suffered a couple of minor slips/slides on those country roads.
Have been investigating alternative winter tyres and those with good or best ratings in reviews seem largely unavailable at present. If anyone has changed to winter tyres I'd love to know which you went for (model/speed and load ratings)?
Everything I find points to SUVs being fitted with stiffer tyres (hence less comfort) or runflats (said to be harder than normal tyres). Can you compare your previous tyres to what you have on now? I was hoping to get standard rated tyres without runflats so will need an inflation kit, but my eventual plan is to move away from runflats even for summer as I hope that would soften ride. If anyone has experience or opinions I'd love to hear from you. Donald.
Had the Enyaq for over a year. iV80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 19” Regulus, 125kW, Electric Tow Bar, Climate, Light & View, Heat Pump, Convenience Package +, Asst Drive +, Comfort Seat Basic, Tethered Zappi for solar panels.
Stripy

Post by Stripy »

Look for some All season, with best energy performance.
I’ve got the Michelin CrossClimate 2’s, and they do give more drag/resistance, so consumption is down a good 10% - but stable as anything
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

citylearn wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:44 pm Hi everyone. I have Enyaq IV 80 with R19 regulus alloys and Hankook tyres. Not been impressed with the ride quality of the car with bumps far more noticeable and jarring compared to past experience of SUVs and for some time I thought ride was due to transport blocks not being removed. Assured not. Last winter had no problems with handling in snow etc but since then tyres with wear after 13k miles (around 4mm tread left) and a recent trip to Yorkshire Dales resulted in failing to get up slope into pub car park in what was snow/ice before Xmas. Also suffered a couple of minor slips/slides on those country roads.
Have been investigating alternative winter tyres and those with good or best ratings in reviews seem largely unavailable at present. If anyone has changed to winter tyres I'd love to know which you went for (model/speed and load ratings)?
Everything I find points to SUVs being fitted with stiffer tyres (hence less comfort) or runflats (said to be harder than normal tyres). Can you compare your previous tyres to what you have on now? I was hoping to get standard rated tyres without runflats so will need an inflation kit, but my eventual plan is to move away from runflats even for summer as I hope that would soften ride. If anyone has experience or opinions I'd love to hear from you. Donald.
Check my previous posts. I’ve a IV60 with 19” Hankook tyres and agree the ride quality is horrible. Swapped to Pirelli Winter Scorpions on Regulus alloys and the ride is great.

Also, I can go up the steep Yorkshire hill I live on with several inches of fresh powder snow with ease.

With brand New Cross climate Michelin tyres on our previous car, an Octavia, it couldn’t make the first 10 metre climb on the same street.
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post