Cost of nickel impact on EVs

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Deleted User 474

Post by Deleted User 474 »

Not sure if anyone is following Nickel prices, used to make around 65-80% of the battery for each car according to VAG.

Due to Ukraine invasion, gone up massively and 85% today. At around $50,000 USD per ton, this will have a massive impact on cost to manufacture.

Think it was around 18k per tonne prior to the start of war

Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

Maybe that why Tesla have switched to Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries for their Model 3 SR. VW are rumoured to be considering LRF batteries so could see them on a Skoda eventually. Drove Model 3 SR back to back with my Enyaq last week and whilst the Skoda beats the Tesla on many counts it certainly does not on performance, even their Standard Range single motor is in a different league performance wise compared to my Enyaq. I have driven both 60 & 80 Enyaqs and cannot determine any difference in performance - will have to try the VRS!
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
orrery

Post by orrery »

Dorsetandy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:16 pm I have driven both 60 & 80 Enyaqs and cannot determine any difference in performance - will have to try the VRS!

The more powerful motor on the 80 is just to compensate for the additional weight, I think.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Yes - the 60 and 80 RWD version have almost identical performance. The 80X and vRS versions with the second motor are faster - obviously still nothing like a Tesla Model 3, but then the Enyaq is a significantly larger car and meant for comfort not speed or handling.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
foot tapper

Post by foot tapper »

sw1000 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:56 pm Not sure if anyone is following Nickel prices, used to make around 65-80% of the battery for each car according to VAG.

Due to Ukraine invasion, gone up massively and 85% today. At around $50,000 USD per ton, this will have a massive impact on cost to manufacture.

Think it was around 18k per tonne prior to the start of war
Good point.
However, it is necessary to decouple the contract prices that major car makers pay from the spot market prices for nickel. The major car makers are negotiating multi-year supply contracts directly with the miners, so the impact on VW group car costs & prices will be far smaller than the price fluctuations that we have seen on the news in recent days.

Taking a longer term view, global EV demand for nickel is forecast to exceed current production capacity from the ore mines in the next 5 years or so. This is why OEMs are looking to lower cost LFP alternatives for "standard" performance vehicles.
Best regards, FT

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post