Car Jack recommendations please?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
ians

Post by ians »

Having picked up my Sportline 80x on 2 March and been delighted with it the reality of what happens when you get a puncture hit me this week, on day 6 of ownership. :cry:

Reversing onto the drive I clipped the kerb which punctured the sidewall of the tyre and it deflated really quickly. So no chance of a repair and the quest to get a replacement began. :roll: Fortunately no damage to the alloy wheel itself.

I quickly discovered that no one in the area stocks the 21" tyre (Pirelli Scorpion 255/40 R21 102T) so it was going to be at least next day if a tyre could be sourced and I could get the wheel or the vehicle to them. Dealer quoted £400 for a replacement next day and suggested I called Skoda Assistance to get them to transport the vehicle to them. Rip off price for a tyre and did not want the indignity of seeing my lovely new car on the back of a trailer so I quickly looked at other options.

In the end I managed to get a reasonable quote, or should I say one at least nearer to what I was expecting to have to pay, for a replacement to be fitted using the mobile fitting service from National Tyres but I will have to wait until Thursday this week for the tyre to be replaced. Not a major issue as I am retired and can move any plans I had around or borrow my wife's car. Just embarrassing having a brand new car sitting on the path with a flat tyre. Must say my wife was delighted it happened to me and not whilst she was driving.

But after this experience I think I need to buy a jack so that I at least have the option to take the wheel off myself to take it somewhere to be repaired or replaced if a similar situation happens in the future but I am unclear what rating or type of jack I should get. Technical info I got with the car suggested it weighs 2286kg so presumably this means I will need a jack capable of lifting that weight as an absolute minimum? Ideally I am looking for something that will fit in the boot rather than a jack that is stored in the garage. Any recommendations that I can purchase in the UK would be most welcome.

So an expensive start to my Enyaq ownership and brought up a few questions about ownership without a spare or a jack. But still really love the car.
UK: Sportline 80x, 21" Betria wheels, Race Blue Metallic, Heat Pump and most options. No sunroof or tow bar.
Ordered end July, entered production week 38.

tomm636

Post by tomm636 »

The jack wont be lifting the whole car, at least 2 wheels should still be taking a good portion of the weight. A 2T jack would be more than enough, either a bottle jack/mini trolley jack from halfords/toolstation or euro car parts do a 2 tonne scissor jack, these should all fit under the boot floor. The scissor jack may be a better option out and about as you probably won't have an axle stand, therefore these are less likely than a hydraulic jack to droop, whilst you have the wheel off.

Just make sure the car wheels are chocked well as these small jacks usually have quite a narrow base.
Enyaq iV 80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 125 kW DC charging, 20" Vega wheels, Assisted drive pack, Heat pump, Climate pack, Convenience pack, Drive sport pack, Electric Towbar, Family pack plus, Infotainment pack plus, Built Sep 2021
RichR

Post by RichR »

As above - the Enyaq isn't really much heavier than many cars these days. The standard 2 tonne scissor jacks sold in places like Halfords will be fine.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
ians

Post by ians »

tomm636 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:02 am The jack wont be lifting the whole car, at least 2 wheels should still be taking a good portion of the weight. A 2T jack would be more than enough, either a bottle jack/mini trolley jack from halfords/toolstation or euro car parts do a 2 tonne scissor jack, these should all fit under the boot floor. The scissor jack may be a better option out and about as you probably won't have an axle stand, therefore these are less likely than a hydraulic jack to droop, whilst you have the wheel off.

Just make sure the car wheels are chocked well as these small jacks usually have quite a narrow base.
Thank you very much for the response. I think I will go for the scissor jack. :)
UK: Sportline 80x, 21" Betria wheels, Race Blue Metallic, Heat Pump and most options. No sunroof or tow bar.
ians

Post by ians »

RichR wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:07 am As above - the Enyaq isn't really much heavier than many cars these days. The standard 2 tonne scissor jacks sold in places like Halfords will be fine.
Thanks. Will go for the 2 tonne scissor jack as suggested. :)
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Just had a look under the car for the jacking points.
There is no marking on the bodywork that I could see as pointers, like there was on the Octavia, and nowhere that looked or felt to me like a strong place to put a jack.

Googling brought back some image results for the Kodiaq on briskoda, showing a plastic cover plate you unclip to reveal the jacking point. Is it like that?
Or they covered the axle stand point...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... ng-points/

I'm feeling less and less confident about jacking the beast now...
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
RichR

Post by RichR »

Jacking points are shown in the Owner's Handbook (p226 and 227 in the 2020/21 PDF version). Front ones are 18cm behind the back of the front wheelarch, rear ones are 30cm in front of the front of the rear wheelarch. I can't check on my car at the moment if there are any markings at the moment, as my wife has gone out in it :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

RichR wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:21 pm Jacking points are shown in the Owner's Handbook (p226 and 227 in the 2020/21 PDF version). Front ones are 18cm behind the back of the front wheelarch, rear ones are 30cm in front of the front of the rear wheelarch. I can't check on my car at the moment if there are any markings at the moment, as my wife has gone out in it :)
Cheers! On looking further, I've taken some pics of what could be, but I think I'm just going to get all season tyres now for going to France, rather than a spare set of wheels

If these are the jacking points, looks like someone has already used them... :?: Doesn't look like there is space between it and the plastic trim.
The support point on some scissor jacks, either side of the slot, looks like they would push through the trim if you didn't take it off?

Edit - I found the markers, tiny triangle at bottom edge of plastic trim!

Back

20221112_131652_back-highlight.jpg

Front:

20221112_131712_front.jpg

Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

HarryHuk wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:34 pm
RichR wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:21 pm Jacking points are shown in the Owner's Handbook (p226 and 227 in the 2020/21 PDF version). Front ones are 18cm behind the back of the front wheelarch, rear ones are 30cm in front of the front of the rear wheelarch. I can't check on my car at the moment if there are any markings at the moment, as my wife has gone out in it :)
Cheers! On looking further, I've taken some pics of what could be, but I think I'm just going to get all season tyres now for going to France, rather than a spare set of wheels

If these are the jacking points, looks like someone has already used them... :?: Doesn't look like there is space between it and the plastic trim.
The support point on some scissor jacks, either side of the slot, looks like they would push through the trim if you didn't take it off?

Edit - I found the markers, tiny triangle at bottom edge of plastic trim!

Back
20221112_131652_back-highlight.jpg

Front:
20221112_131712_front.jpg
I’m guessing that’s from lifts at the dealers . I was worried about points when removing the transportation blocks from fronts and used subframe as visible but the rears probably best to use the skoda jack in the points so you don’t damage the plastic or remove it and use a trolley jack
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

I don't have a Skoda jack. The car didn't come with one.

Could I ask people with jacking experience to have a look at their Enyaq's jacking points and say if they think they'd need to take the plastic trim off before jacking it, to avoid damage?
It looks to me (see my pics above) the plastic bits are too close to the reinforced flange (which I'm not sure the car should rest on, but the area either side)
I've had mudflaps installed, and they seem to attach on top, so taking the trim off would be a real pfaff each time I need to swap summer and winter wheels.

Also - spoke to a brake and service garage, and they say they wouldn't swap wheel sets, claiming they couldn't verify whether a customer's supplied wheels were suitable for the car, and they would be liable if they weren't.
But they'd be happy to swap summer and winter tyres on the car's wheels, and even store them (at £80+VAT each time, i.e. twice a year)
At that price, I'd be spending more than the price of a set of alloys in 4-5 years to have them change the tyres from winter to summer and back

I'm kind of thinking they just don't want to change wheels, because the wheels should be marked with the geometry spec (in my case 8Jx19 ET45)
Heat pump, 19" wheels,

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post