Music sorting !!

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
anglosaxon

Post by anglosaxon »

Good evening all.

Sorry for what may seem to some a trivial matter, but it is driving me nuts !!

In my last Skoda, 2014 Superb, I had my music stored on an SD card. As long as I put the bands in their own folders, with the albums in sub folders, titled first by the year of release, then the albums played in order.

Fast forward to the Enyaq and progress !! I now have my music stored on a USB stick as we have no SD slot. I have the music saved in exactly the same format as the Superb but the albums are played in a completely random order, even down to one double CD album that plays the 2nd disc 1st !!!

Has anybody any tips/solutions to this please ??

HairyCowMan

Post by HairyCowMan »

I have a similar problem. I have a usb stick in the car that has 7 or 8 albums on it, some one artist, some multi artist, all in their own folders. In my Honda Civic when you looked in the media menu the folders were all listed & the system would play each album in the order they were on the list with each track in the correct order. I put the stick in the Yak this morning & while I've listening to the music it seems to ignore the folders & just treat the stick as if it's one folder & is playing all the tracks mixed up in artist alphabetical order. Is there any way I can get the system to play tracks in a logical album by album order or am I going to have to battle iTunes & put everything on my phone & use CarPlay?
80 Suite ordered 8/1/22
Collected 2/2/23
Arctic Silver
19" Regulus
Climate Plus
Drive Sport Basic
Assisted Drive Basic
Family Basic
Zappi charger & Solar
Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

Hi both

I haven't actually played any music in my 6-month-old car so I can't answer this for certain.
However, in previous - non-Skoda - cars where I used a USB stick holding the MP3s, I noticed that some vehicle software read the file name whereas other software read the MP3 tag data within the file. There could easily be differences in artist, title, track number, disc number ... etc.

Hope I'm not suggesting the obvious, but could it be that the tag data in your MP3s doesn't perfectly match what you're expecting based on the file name?
And maybe, ...maybe ... the Enyaq is working off the tags?

Re-tagging MP3s is simple, but may be a little tedious depending on how many you wish to tackle. There are many good software packages for doing it.
MP3Tag https://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html is one of the best. Windows and Mac versions available. Voluntary payment.

Good luck.
HairyCowMan

Post by HairyCowMan »

Walter Eagle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:54 pm Hi both

I haven't actually played any music in my 6-month-old car so I can't answer this for certain.
However, in previous - non-Skoda - cars where I used a USB stick holding the MP3s, I noticed that some vehicle software read the file name whereas other software read the MP3 tag data within the file. There could easily be differences in artist, title, track number, disc number ... etc.

Hope I'm not suggesting the obvious, but could it be that the tag data in your MP3s doesn't perfectly match what you're expecting based on the file name?
And maybe, ...maybe ... the Enyaq is working off the tags?

Re-tagging MP3s is simple, but may be a little tedious depending on how many you wish to tackle. There are many good software packages for doing it.
MP3Tag https://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html is one of the best. Windows and Mac versions available. Voluntary payment.

Good luck.
Thanks Walter

I've been using MP3Tag for many years & the files in the folders on the memory stick are all in the format of track - title (e.g. 01 - Smoke On The Water).

My previous car, a 2016 Honda Civic estate had no problem with the USB files being organised in this way, neither did the aftermarket Kenwood stereo in my kit car.

The memory stick is connected to the Yak using a USB-A to USB-C adapter & am wondering if this is causing a problem & I should get a USB-C memory stick.

The other thing I found was it was also picking up music from my iPhone via Bluetooth & mixing these in with what it was playing. I've been using Apple CarPlay over the weekend & also tried streaming direct from my phone to play music & these have both behaved themselves perfectly so I think I'll carry on doing either one of these, it saves getting another stick that might not work like I want it to & just ends up gathering dust in a drawer.
80 Suite ordered 8/1/22
Collected 2/2/23
Arctic Silver
19" Regulus
Climate Plus
Drive Sport Basic
Assisted Drive Basic
Family Basic
Zappi charger & Solar
Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

If the tracks are being played at all from the USB stick, regardless of order, then I wouldn't suspect the physical interface is a factor. Whether it's direct or via an adaptor, the data is getting in to the car's player. Albeit, the car is not reading the data in the order you're expecting.

Maybe I will go and start tinkering now - it's always good to have a hobby!