13 Amp ‘Granny Charger’.

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
orrery

Post by orrery »

The granny cable from 3rd Rock Energy - it can be dialled back to 6 or 8 amps, which is safer on a 13 amp plug.
Extension leads from Toughleads (very solid cables designed for EV charging, with big waterproof sockets as some of the plugs are much bulkier than usual).
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.

Archer17

Post by Archer17 »

Another thumbs up for the 3rd Rock Energy granny charger, we use it to divert excess electricity from our solar rather than let it go back to the grid.

As an aside I understand why we shouldn’t really exceed 80% charge unless going on a long journey but it is frustrating to let “free” electricity go to waste. Is it okay to keep the SOC higher if charging at a lower speed? My understanding is that it’s bad for battery management to charge to 100% on rapid chargers? ( quite apart from the etiquette in doing so) Can anyone answer please?
Skoda Enyaq 80 Sportline collected 29/09/21. Quartz grey metallic, Pan roof, tow bar, 125 charging, Comfort seat, Drive Sport+, Climate pack+, Assisted Drive, Parking, Light and View and Convenience pack.
dezember

Post by dezember »

Can I ask if i don't need fast charging and don't mind the time needed to charge the car with a granny charger, would solely using a granny charger has any negative impact on the battery/range/car etc??? Thanks...
iV60 Metallic Green :) Assisted Drive. Climate basic. Light & view. Parking plus. Lounge. Ordered 1st Dec 2021. Delivered in August 2022.
irichardson42

Post by irichardson42 »

Had my enyaq for 10 months got my granny lead from superlec direct cheaper than screwfix. Use when topping up at work on 13a socket instead of using 7kw works well when at work all day. As would have to move car after few hours at work on 7kw to free up so let’s for someone else to use. Was quoted £600 from dealing when I purchased car. Chargers at 2kw per hour. Done nearly 12k miles has been a great car so far. Ian
orrery

Post by orrery »

The topping up to 100% question is a tricky one. Batteries deteriorate faster if taken down to 0% or left for any length of time at 100%.

Manufacturers now build in headroom at the top and the bottom that you simply can't access, so it isn't possible to charge to 100%. If you intend to keep the car for a long period then staying clear of 100% in daily usage is wise, but there is no reason to not charge to 100% when you need it.

If you are planning to trade the car after 2,3 or 4 years (or if you are leasing it) then simply ignore the issue - mine gets charged to 100% every time because that it where I want it. I'm on my 5th EV and I've never seen any obvious battery deterioration (but I don't go about with an ODB11 looking for it).

Granny cables: it is believed (based on a small number of real measurements) that charging at a very low current is less efficient, as is charging at a very high current. Probably best to use a standard 7kW wall charger, but if the granny lead is being powered by solar that would otherwise be exported then the efficiency isn't really an issue.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Archer17

Post by Archer17 »

Thanks Orrery

I was coming around to that view myself but wanted to make sure it wasn’t wishful thinking!
I am pretty sure that it’s a combination of keeping a battery at 100% for a long time ie not using it and additionally regular charging to that level on a rapid charger that causes the real problems. Occasionally having it a 100% and then using it isn’t. I tend not to keep my car past three years but this one I might.
Skoda Enyaq 80 Sportline collected 29/09/21. Quartz grey metallic, Pan roof, tow bar, 125 charging, Comfort seat, Drive Sport+, Climate pack+, Assisted Drive, Parking, Light and View and Convenience pack.
John Arnold

Post by John Arnold »

Many thanks to all of the answers to my post. I drive a MG ZS EV at the moment and have for almost 2 years. Manly use Granny Charging from solar panels. I, like others have not experienced any problem so far.
Daffo1950

Post by Daffo1950 »

My car that we collected yesterday came with a Granny charger
ruttlej

Post by ruttlej »

I see the mandatory Delivery and Maintenance Pack has been replaced by a new Tyre and Maintenance Plan and that lists a 3 Pin Home Charging Cable, so I wonder are all new cars getting this granny charger?

TyreAndMaintenancePlan.png

Ordered 1st Nov 2021 - iV80 (Chrome pack, Parking pack & Drive pack) + Driver Assistance Plus pack - Collected 16th July 2022
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

I have a screw fix one and left outside for the whole time , now most of the free 50kw have gone I use it a bit more overnight never seen a problem with doing that . Couldn’t see the advantage of a 7kw box when it was cheaper and definitely not now but depends on personal circumstances

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post