13 Amp ‘Granny Charger’.

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
John Arnold

Post by John Arnold »

I’m waiting for a delivery date for delivery on my iv60. Wondered if anyone had any suggestions on the best place to order a granny charger? 5 metre long is good for me.

Retired

Post by Retired »

I would suggest "Srewfix" . It's where I got mine from. Have had no problems with it.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Yep, the ones Screwfix sell are well priced and do the job. They are 10A like most granny chargers not 13A. Good for emergency top ups, but not really a substitute for a 7kW wallbox for your main source of charging.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Daffo1950

Post by Daffo1950 »

Try Tough Leads as they will make them to whatever length you require and are better quality to Screw Fix
AndyJ84

Post by AndyJ84 »

Does the car come with a granny charger? Or was that another extra that I have missed
Loft60 Race blue. Family pack plus climate pack plus parking pack. Anthracite 19 regulus alloys.
Ordered 17th August 2021.-build date week 12 car with dealer hopefully delivered in 48 hours🤞
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

The car has never been supplied with a Granny Charger, only the 22 Kw type 2 mains cable.
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Skoda do sell one for about £200, but they only supply it with the PHEV models (and Citigo) that have much smaller batteries. Their logic (and I'm inclined to agree) is that you shouldn't really be charging an 80kWh battery at such a slow rate (2.3kW) - you should be using 7kW at home or 50kW and higher chargers on the road. So they'd be supplying something most people won't use - which is a waste of money for them. And there might be complaints from people who haven't done any research and then get upset that it takes nearly two days to charge their car up from empty. I've never used the Type 2 (11kW AC maximum) cable, only ever charged with 50kW or higher CCS at public chargers. But I keep it in the car just in case.

However, I believe it is worth having one if you regularly stay away from home, for example relatives or holiday cottages, where due to busy or broken public chargers you haven't managed to charge where you planned to. But I only consider it a way of adding around 30-40 miles of charge to get me to a proper rapid charger.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

I agree with 'Rich R '. A Granny Charger should only be used as an emergency backup. I picked up a second hand 6metre long, VW branded one from Ebay a few months ago for £50.
Works perfectly. but never used it yet, just keep in boot for emergencies !
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

Interestingly there has been a real outcry from Tesla owners as Tesla has stated it will no longer supply granny charger as part of their included package. A colleague of mine who has owned different Tesla’s for years has never used anything other than the supplied granny chargers. Personally I think it is a very useful back up to have one - have a Screwfix and a Tough Lead with a built in RCD so that I feel safer using in holiday let’s where I don’t know the quality of the electric mains.
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

I used a 16A French version on a brief vacation, charger is switchable between 5,10,13 & 16A. !6A Should be fine in any modern French house and give half of a standard home charger. It works well as a backup charger and provides double the charge compaired to an Enyaq set to reduced current (25% actually).
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post