BBC article about EV driving and charging within Wales

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

6A4D0FD3-9057-4F1F-BEDE-84D432198B94.jpeg

iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

Perchede

Post by Perchede »

Saw the article. Thought the bit about a couple on holiday cottage without charger was unreal. Why would anyone going somewhere on holiday which did not adverise a cnager not bring a granny charger and charger extension cable?
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Indeed - blaming other people for your own poor planning isn't very bright.

I've generally managed to locate a coupe of public 50kW chargers not too far from places I've been staying when I've been away from home, so I know they're there. But have a granny charger in the boot just in case they're all out of order or busy.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
hergus

Post by hergus »

As I regularly drive up the A470 to North Wales I know I can do it in an iV60, but for years when I had an ICE I made a point of stopping every couple of hours, so it was a natural progression to find chargers to stop at (preferably with decent toilets and coffee). That said, I take the point of the article that having so many chargers out of order is beyond frustrating, and that Wales is not that well served, especially for rapid charging. There is an extensive Dragon Charging network across south and west Wales, but nearly all offer 22kWh (only 11kWh usable) so you do need to allow time (what was the rush again?). Not that I can't be seduced by the offer of 50kWh charging and contactless payment sometimes.
Enyaq 60 Lodge, Arctic Silver. Climate package. Transport package. Towbar prep. Zappi charger with solar panels.
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

There’s also a free National trust charger next to the beach at Nefyn and given this is the view I’d happily wait. Especially as the pub on the beach consistently gets voted one the best beach bars in the world… ah that’ll be why he went to Nefyn.

The next article he writes will be about the same 10 best beach bars …

217C013F-DD47-48F0-9D71-4084277A0566.jpeg

Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

IanEV wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:48 pm ... the beach at Nefyn and given this is the view I’d happily wait.
Ah .... thank you for reminding me of happy childhood evenings walking across the golf course and then the climb down to the beach, to be rewarded with a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps!
iV 80 Suite, Arctic Silver plus various packages. ME 3.1
Ordered late Oct 21 for delivery June 2022. Scheduled production now Week 29 (was previously late September). In transit 25 July 22. Delivered as ordered 17 August 22.
Stepmb

Post by Stepmb »

It's the BBC, what did you expect?; accurate facts, sensible propositions, I don't think so!
Chrisvh

Post by Chrisvh »

Have you actually read the article?
orrery

Post by orrery »

Many of these pieces seem to come over as 'petrol-head trying to drive an EV for the first time'. If you evaluate an EV using your ICE checklist, you get a poor score. If you evaluate an ICE using my EV checklist, you won't do very well either.
The comment about him not using a granny cable is very fair indeed - I have a cable that can be set back to 6 amps and a long extension lead, and charging at 6 amps always seems to get me to 100% eventually over a weekend away. This is one of the real plus points of EV driving. I frequently go up to stay at Mum's house in the Peak District (same problem, very few chargers) and I've installed an outside waterproof socket in the drive for convenience - Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

I’ve read it and I know the area very well, it’s remote and has few petrol stations even. The last large petrol station that I can think of is in Porthmadog, where there is a Tesco with four free chargers. So public EV provision is arguably on par with fossil fuels. As stated in the article new EVs will have the range to travel that distance. So whilst there are clearly issues with EV charging the use of an old EV with low range has mainly caused his particular problem in my opinion.
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post