1st long drive - impression

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

So had my first long drive today - London to north wales around 240 miles all in.

So the car could have easily managed the whole trip on a single full charge - Enyaq 80iV

Trouble is the humans can’t. Having 2 kids isn’t he back meaning max time spent in car is around 2hrs before they cry and moan about something.

So strategically I stopped at 2 locations with multiple fast chargers.

I left home with 100% and got to first stop at 78% which meant the first charge was done at 65kw initially then tailed off at 40kw. The battery was topped up to 100% in 41min which worked out fine as we had some food to eat and kids got to play.

Second stop was a bit further down the road and when I started charging the car was at 65%, the car started at 65kw charge rate and sustained that for majority and reached 100% in less than 30min. Again this stop worked out to be perfectly fine as the kids had toilet break and sandwich etc.

So overall the charging experience was good albeit I ahead some issues with a fast charger that won’t take contactless card.

So in conclusion the car seems to drive extremely well on motorways and the trip average 50MPH and I had 3.7miles/kWh efficient and not hypermiling - I used the adaptive cruise control for majority of the time to make driving more effortless.

So very impressed with the car and how easy it is to cope with long journeys. Furthermore the charging facilities enroute was very good. And I wouldn’t have any range issues next time.

Next time probably will do single stop only.

For the return trip, I probably won’t bother with charging up enroute at all.

HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Glad the trip went well. So far, I've only done long trips to and in France.
Going to try Lincoln on the weekend (100miles each way) and Glasgow in a few weeks time.

I only charge to 100% at home (7kW) before setting off. I keep to 80% with Rapid chargers.
Does mean charging more often though.
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

I had to keep the battery at 100% in the second stop cos the location I am at doesn’t have any charging facilities over night. Meaning I am at the mercy of finding a charger at paces we need to go with availability and working chargers. So gonna try to have maximum amount of charge in battery and top up whenever I can.

Hopefully I am able to get 100% and then leave for london without needing a charge.

This part of wales is definitely in the dark ages. Whilst there are plenty chargers in supermarkets - majority don’t seem to work and also parking restriction means you can’t put meaningful amount of charge in.

Also considering the cost of charges - spent £45 on leccy at ultra fast chargers - that’s about on par with my old ICE car. But hopefully now I get to charge at a more reasonable rate meaning it is a saving on fuel overall.
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

I guess needs must.
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
RichR

Post by RichR »

This is my experience too - whilst the car is capable of driving for 4 or 5 hours on the motorway without stopping, I certainly can't :)

After a while you'll get better at finding places to charge that line up with where you naturally want to stop for the loo and a cup of tea. I've done North Yorkshire to Cornwall and back a few times now, and try different strategies each time. Last time I stopped twice (Exeter and Warwick), but didn't need to charge to over 70% at either. In fact I arrived home with 30% remaining. But I think my bladder demands at least one more stop than that.

One strategy I've adopted is to aim to come off the motorway to charge. Usually you'll find a McDonalds, KFC, Costa or MFG services about a mile or so away on the edge of a town. The chargers are generally less busy than motorway services (and often cheaper), and the facilities and surroundings are often better. If it adds an extra 10 minutes to a 7 hour journey, I'd rather eat my lunch sitting on a bench surrounded by trees and open space than at a motorway services. For me, the journey is to be enjoyed not endured. So Travel Assist on, climate control on, seat nice and comfy, audiobook playing and maybe the occasional massage :D
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ “the occasional massage” 🙄 tut.. Just because you can, with your fancy seats! (Yes, I’m envious 😂).

I generally don’t like stopping (I managed Surrey UK to Western Poland with just one 10 min refill stop at Bottrop in Germany about 12 years ago in my diesel A4) but now I’m 50, I definitely shouldn’t be pushing myself like this and glad that I have to stop whether I like it or not, with an EV. This same 800 mile journey required three stops (I think. Maybe a 4th short one) last summer and they were all less than an hour each.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

How much did you spend charging if you don’t mind me asking?
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Bacon wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:30 am How much did you spend charging if you don’t mind me asking?

Who are you asking ? There are a few different long journeys referenced above :-)
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

Bacon wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:30 am How much did you spend charging if you don’t mind me asking?
Total charge on public chargers were £60

I left home at 98% and got to the destination with 80% then left destination with 100% and got home with 20%

Total mileage covered is around 650-700miles.

Not sure how I can work out how much the cost is total for the public chargers.

If it is an ICE car I was driving that would be a full tank of fuel which is around £120 right now.
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

Depending where you are you going in North Wales it can’t be considered dark ages for charging anymore. Not the nicest place to visit but Rhyl has the 2nd biggest EV charging hub in the UK. https://www.rhyljournal.co.uk/news/2318 ... -hub-rhyl/

Also the McDonalds has two chargers
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post