380 Mile Journey - Petrol or Enyaq?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
parkview094

Post by parkview094 »

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Journey completed!
183 Miles there, 8oC outside, no rain, 70mph ACC on the motorways, AC set to 21oC - averaged ~3.4m/kw; around 80miles left of range when we arrived.
South Wales is pricey for EV charging but found a 40p/kwh charger reasonably locally - topped up with £22.10

Toured around for 51 miles within Wales before heading home which was a further 192 Miles.
The plan was to use a Shell Recharge/Powerpass just outside Swansea on the way home, but it was out of order, so reverted to a Gridserve on the M4 at 65p/kwh for £18.31

426 miles covered in total. Averaged 3.4M/KW throughout - £40.41 spent on public charging. ~50 Miles left when I got back home. 63Kw needed to return to full charge @£20.50
Total cost for 426 Miles - £60.91

Would have needed to get 47mpg on average with the petrol car to cost the same, which is probably not unrealistic at the same speeds.

Overall pleased though - didn't worry about range at any point on the trip. Could easily have spent more on public chargers though if we weren't careful.
Longest charge was around an hour which meant we got the 40p/kwh charging rather than 75p/kwh which we could have gotten overnight without a specific journey.
Enyaq iV80, ecoSuite, Metallic Brilliant Silver, Heat Pump, Climate Pack, Convenience Pack Plus, Transport Pack, Panoramic Roof.
Ohme Home Pro Charger (Tethered)
Ordered 13/10/21. Order accepted July 2022. Build Week 44 (31st October). Collected 17/12/22

ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Destination chargers at hotels and B and B's, etc are going to be a major plus factor in the future when choosing a overnight stay.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
Panagon

Post by Panagon »

There appears to be two schools of thought on charging during a long journey. There's the little bit and often way, only charging when the battery is in the fast 'sweet spot' for say 10 mins and the there's the stop for a long time and give the battery a big charge.

I can see the benefits for both, not decided which is best
ComicGeek

Post by ComicGeek »

parkview094 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:27 pm 63Kw needed to return to full charge @£20.50
It's the cheap home charging that makes the most of the EV, and provides the biggest running cost saving. From the figures above you're at 33-34 p/kWh for home charging, whereas a low cost night tariff might be 7.5-10 p/kWh and completely skew the overall costs.

It's really rare that I need to use a more expensive charger away from my house, but if I do then it's offset by my home charge rate of 7.5 p/kWh.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

ComicGeek wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:29 pm
parkview094 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:27 pm 63Kw needed to return to full charge @£20.50
It's the cheap home charging that makes the most of the EV, and provides the biggest running cost saving. From the figures above you're at 33-34 p/kWh for home charging, whereas a low cost night tariff might be 7.5-10 p/kWh and completely skew the overall costs.

It's really rare that I need to use a more expensive charger away from my house, but if I do then it's offset by my home charge rate of 7.5 p/kWh.
Even standard economy 7 is only about 16p/kwh at the moment which will halve the charging cost.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

ChangoMutney wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:31 pm Destination chargers at hotels and B and B's, etc are going to be a major plus factor in the future when choosing a overnight stay.

Yep, definitely.
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
parkview094

Post by parkview094 »

ComicGeek wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:29 pm
You're right - I was on a 33p/kwh tarriff as I'd been waiting well over a year for Octopus to install a smart meter. That's finally happened and I've got a 10p night rate now :)

For my day-to-day usage, the Enyaq works out cheaper than an IC car and regardless I'm pleased with it.

Having a look at pricing on ZapMap - looks like Wales is about the most expensive place in the UK for public charging which probably has skewed this particular trip a little. Have another trip planned later in the year up to Scotland where we'll likely cover over 1000 miles. Thankfully looks like public charging in Scotland is considerably cheaper...
Enyaq iV80, ecoSuite, Metallic Brilliant Silver, Heat Pump, Climate Pack, Convenience Pack Plus, Transport Pack, Panoramic Roof.
Ohme Home Pro Charger (Tethered)
Ordered 13/10/21. Order accepted July 2022. Build Week 44 (31st October). Collected 17/12/22
CrowSysE243

Post by CrowSysE243 »

ChargePlace Scotland provides good coverage. Although the website states "Drivers can access charge points by using a ChargePlace Scotland RFID access card, via the ChargePlace Scotland smartphone app or via the webpay link – http://webpay.chargeplacescotland.org" we found that the RFID was the only option for some older chargers, and also necessary in remote areas where mobile data coverage was poor. Once we received the CPS RFID card we had no problems. The older chargers are being replaced, for example some chargers were replaced in Stranraer in February or March 2023, removing the need for RFID cards where mobile data coverage is adequate. When ESB chargers in Northern Ireland cease to be free on 26th April, there will be more incentive to charge before boarding the ferry.
iV80 Loft, 19"Regulus, Energy Blue, Maxx Pack, Travel Pack, Heat pump. Order Jul22. BuildWk17-23. UK WE23/6. Available 30/6/23. Collected 3/7/23 Untethered PodPoint. Third Rock mode 2 charger with Tough Leads modular extension lead and adapters.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post