Skoda Enyaq 60 IV charging help

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
julesthornton

Post by julesthornton »

Good morning all,

My Skoda Enyaq 60 IV is charging on my 7KW home charger at 4 miles per hour (charger 6 months old)

I took it to a 50kw fast charger and it charged (over 45 mins or so from 26% to 80%) at 116 - 124 mph but did cut out half way through and display the message 'unable to fully charge vehicle. I had to start again to get to 80% charge level.

Would appreciate any advice on above info if it is down to car or home charger so I know who to start with.

I was delivered the car in around Sept 2022 - only had for a few weeks and it was taken away because of problems, which I believe from chat on this forum was down to the battery that ran inside lighting etc. I was months without it as they found replacement battery no doubt?

Would appreciate any advice on current charging issue as feeling quite dismayed with this car.

Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

The charger will reduce its supply to 2-3kWh or even less and turn off at extremis, if it thinks the rest of the house is using too much energy, to prevent overloading and potentially blowing the main supply feed. This reduced charge is what you are seeing at probably 7mph or less.
If you are not using that much energy the sensor which detects the load on the house supply may be faulty.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

julesthornton wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:58 am Good morning all,

My Skoda Enyaq 60 IV is charging on my 7KW home charger at 4 miles per hour (charger 6 months old)

I took it to a 50kw fast charger and it charged (over 45 mins or so from 26% to 80%) at 116 - 124 mph but did cut out half way through and display the message 'unable to fully charge vehicle. I had to start again to get to 80% charge level.

Would appreciate any advice on above info if it is down to car or home charger so I know who to start with.

I was delivered the car in around Sept 2022 - only had for a few weeks and it was taken away because of problems, which I believe from chat on this forum was down to the battery that ran inside lighting etc. I was months without it as they found replacement battery no doubt?

Would appreciate any advice on current charging issue as feeling quite dismayed with this car.

4mph charging is around 1.2kW, so either the car is set to charge at reduced current on AC, or the car is limiting itself for some reason, or the charger is limiting the charge speed.

50kW fast/rapid charging is DC, so the car is using some different components for that.

If you're sure the car is not set to charge at reduced speed on AC (if you're on ME3.0 or later, you may have to look in charging locations in the car's config, because they have their own settings too.) then:
  1. If you have a friend with an electric car, and you feel you can,invite them around to try your home charger, to see how fast their car charges. If their car is also not set to charge at reduced AC power, and their car is charging slowly, it could be your charger that's the problem.
  2. If your friend also has a wallbox at home, and it's working for them, and you feel you can, ask if you can charge on it in return, and see how your car gets on.
  3. Try a variety of public chargers, both AC and DC, to see how your car gets on with them. And compare the AC charging with at home. The car will charge at a max of 11kW on AC. For me 2kW is around 5mph, 6-7kW is around 24mph, so I guess 11kW would be around 30 mph. Not being exact here, but you should see something close to that on AC if the car is not set to limited AC charging.
    Trying a variety increases the chance of having at least a few good chargers. A consistent problem would seem to look like it's the car's problem.
If after having tried this, and it looks like it's your car not charging as fast as it should, then I'd take it to the garage.
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Ken3966 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:12 pm The charger will reduce its supply to 2-3kWh or even less and turn off at extremis, if it thinks the rest of the house is using too much energy, to prevent overloading and potentially blowing the main supply feed. This reduced charge is what you are seeing at probably 7mph or less.
If you are not using that much energy the sensor which detects the load on the house supply may be faulty.
that, too
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
julesthornton

Post by julesthornton »

Thank you for the help.
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Good luck! Let us know how you get on
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Coincidentally, mine is charging at 3kW at home this evening instead of the usual 6.5kW.
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

If I don't make any special settings in my 7kW home charger (Project EV) or the car it usually charges at roughly 32A / 7kW - as expected.
If I leave the charger as is, but switch the car to 'reduced current charging' (or whatever the wording is) it charges at about 8A / 2kW.
If I switch the car back to normal charging, but select the Eco+ mode in the charger, the charging rate varies but is dependent on there being sufficient solar power from my panels in the first place. If the solar power drops below a surplus of about 1.8kW it shuts off charging to the car so as not to use grid energy. Even at best I've not seen this solar trickle charging exceed 3kW so far.

I'm not sure how the car reports charging in mph. Is this based on the original Skoda WLTP numbers? Does anyone have faith in them? Or is it an 'intelligent' extrapolation of your recent consumption rate, based on your driving style, load, environment etc?
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Walter Eagle wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:01 pm If I don't make any special settings in my 7kW home charger (Project EV) or the car it usually charges at roughly 32A / 7kW - as expected.
If I leave the charger as is, but switch the car to 'reduced current charging' (or whatever the wording is) it charges at about 8A / 2kW.
If I switch the car back to normal charging, but select the Eco+ mode in the charger, the charging rate varies but is dependent on there being sufficient solar power from my panels in the first place. If the solar power drops below a surplus of about 1.8kW it shuts off charging to the car so as not to use grid energy. Even at best I've not seen this solar trickle charging exceed 3kW so far.

I'm not sure how the car reports charging in mph. Is this based on the original Skoda WLTP numbers? Does anyone have faith in them? Or is it an 'intelligent' extrapolation of your recent consumption rate, based on your driving style, load, environment etc?

I've got a relatively simple Pod-Point charger, with a scheduler, and it might sense issues in the supply and reduce the current, but it has no idea about the solar panels.

I imagine the car's mph charging is based on recent consumption, like the range guesstimate. I'd prefer plain kW, or to have both (is 3.1 going to give us both?) but I guess if you know how far you need to go, it's a useful indication of how long it might take to get enough charge to get to your next destination.
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

HarryHuk wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:18 pm
Walter Eagle wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:01 pm If I don't make any special settings in my 7kW home charger (Project EV) or the car it usually charges at roughly 32A / 7kW - as expected.

I've got a relatively simple Pod-Point charger, with a scheduler, and it might sense issues in the supply and reduce the current, but it has no idea about the solar panels.

I imagine the car's mph charging is based on recent consumption, like the range guesstimate. I'd prefer plain kW, or to have both (is 3.1 going to give us both?) but I guess if you know how far you need to go, it's a useful indication of how long it might take to get enough charge to get to your next destination.
If you have solar this could be effecting the charge rate of your Pod Point. Solar in some cases causes the charge rate to continually fluctuate between around 10A & 30A

Having the fuse saver device deactivate would solve the above issue if it was indeed the solar interfering with the FS
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post