Air conditioning condenser replacement cost £2500

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
RockyDog

Post by RockyDog »

So after 23k miles have had stone damage to the air conditioning condenser and the cost of replacement of the condenser is frightening. Apparently the Enyaqs with heat pump run on R477 gas which ls Co2 based and only used on certain newer VW and Mercedes models. Firstly it's not easy to get in the UK (my local dealer can not supply nor can any VW or Skoda dealer in the local area). Secondly it runs at far higher pressures with different high fittings and connectors than a normal system that uses R123 gas. According to the dealer it's 8 hours to fit a new condenser and regass if they can source the gas and the total cost £2500. We had the condenser replaced on our VW Golf last year which cost £500. So if your air con fails expectant a ludicrous bill.
Today's a gift, yesterday is history and tomorrow a mystery.

80 IV Suite, 125w, heatpump, convience pack, climate pack plus and drive sport basic

Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

Surely then that is accident damage and worth claiming on insurance? If you had a frontal bump that damaged the condenser, it’s repair would be covered. Stone damage to say a headlight may also need a claim these days as I gather they cost around £2k each!!
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

That seems like a ludicrously expensive replacement. Higher pressure and scarcity parts doesn’t mean more cost just means you can’t get things repaired conveniently and have to wait. Sounds like the dealer is taking the piss.
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Ouch! Definitely an insurance claim if it's stone damage.
Contact the insurers ASAP, they might want an assessor to look at it before approving work. (Or they might not.)

(PS: it's R744 btw)
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
RallimG

Post by RallimG »

That is a pain - all the potential savings of the heat pump out the window in one shot! It does seem you need to be praying nothing breaks with the Heat Pump.
Its like when I had to replace the turbo on my previous diesel cars, went through 3 on the VW Sharan (sticky vanes) - all the savings of a diesel over the V6 petrol - gone!!
Enyaq iV Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW Charging, Family Pack, Climate+, Conv. +, Drive+, Infotainment+ & Assisted Drive +.
Ordered Jun 2021 - delivered Jan 2023.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post