Granny Cable

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
DN8

Post by DN8 »

Does it fit under the boot with the normal charging cable, or do you put it somewhere else/ leave at home?

ComicGeek

Post by ComicGeek »

My 10m granny cable is a lot bulkier than my standard 5m charging cable, and doesn't fit under the boot. I have taken it with me on holiday just in case, but haven't had to use it yet away from home.

I typically use it at home to charge my wife's Mache directly from our solar PV as it doesn't have a reduced current option unlike the Enyaq.
HairyCowMan

Post by HairyCowMan »

DN8 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:18 pm Does it fit under the boot with the normal charging cable, or do you put it somewhere else/ leave at home?
I got a bag with mine & it fits in the storage gap on the left hand side of the boot

IMG_1088.jpeg

80 Suite ordered 8/1/22
Collected 2/2/23
Arctic Silver
19" Regulus
Climate Plus
Drive Sport Basic
Assisted Drive Basic
Family Basic
Zappi charger & Solar
spinna1969

Post by spinna1969 »

Decided against a 7KW charger initially and we’ll see if I can get away with a granny. Originally planned to get a BG sync EV 7KW fitted but have just bought their granny direct from them. It only cost £171 including a bag, Ip65 rated, three years warranty and rated at 10A. I will only be doing 120ish miles per week and think this will be manageable probably needing about 40KW charging per week, which should be about 18hrs time per week which I can easily accommodate. I’ve recently changed energy suppliers to Octopus and intend sitting on the tracker tariff. I’ve got a delivery ETA off end of November.
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

I am staying at my daughters so took our granny charger with us. Used 50% to get here of the 77kw capacity and that happily replaced 30% in about 12 hours. Another 100 miles yesterday and easily returned to 80 % overnight.

We managed with one for 3 weeks using car a lot before wall charger installed at home.
Main reason for wall charger is if you need regular longer trips exceeding the ability to recharge at 2kW per hour in gap between, or need to fit charging like us into a 6 hour off peak period. We are on Octopus Intelligent which will recharge at 7.5p a kW for as much as you need but only with a wall charger installed.

Don’t make mistake of using for a week then recharging to 100% though. Charge after every use to 80% unless you need the range next trip and just charge to 90 or 100% immediately before use. Much better for battery’s life expectancy, and car always ready for an unexpected longer trip.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
CrowSysE243

Post by CrowSysE243 »

Following Keb3966's advice and based on 120 miles per week I don't think that there will be any problem relying on charging using a granny charger, We have used one with the Kona every time we have been in Northern Ireland and used it exclusively on the 3 trips this year. We average about 90 miles per day while over there with a peak of about 180 to 200 miles. Even scaling for the increased consumption of the Enyaq I expect to be able to add 2.1% charge to the iV 80 per hour charging at 10A/2.2kW, which will cover our usage comfortably even in winter conditions, although we do not recover all charge usage every night.
As a precaution I bought a third rock charger for use with the Enyaq which I can set to charge at 13A if I want after I have checked that the condition of the socket and its associated wiring is satisfactory for extended running at this current.
iV80 Loft, 19"Regulus, Energy Blue, Maxx Pack, Travel Pack, Heat pump. Order Jul22. BuildWk17-23. UK WE23/6. Available 30/6/23. Collected 3/7/23 Untethered PodPoint. Third Rock mode 2 charger with Tough Leads modular extension lead and adapters.
orrery

Post by orrery »

4rchibald wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:37 am It seems that the standard single phase granny charger pulls 16A when used with Schuko plug, so I'm not sure why it's locked to 10A when on a 3 pin UK plug.

I can't comment on a Shuko plug. They always seem very flakey to me.
The 13 amp plug will take 13 amps for short periods, but the fuse causes local heating. It really is only safe at 10 amps continuous rating, and only then if the plug and socket are in perfect condition. With the general condition of most sockets, it really can't be assumed to be safe even at 10 amps. If you use one, give it 5 minutes and then check the temperature of the plugs and sockets - warm is fine, hot isn't. There have been lots of cases of overheating and melting. I had to terminate a charge recently when plugged into a socket in my son's kitchen, as the plug was getting too hot.
If you are buying a granny cable, get one that can be dialled back to 6 or 8 amps - the Third Rock Energy one is good and fairly cheap.
The same goes for any extension cable. If you use an extension, buy one specifically for EV charging - the Toughleads ones are excellent, made with heavy duty cable (to avoid overheating) and big waterproof sockets to accommodate the larger 13 plugs on some granny cables.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Just got back from a week in France and used a Third Rock granny (10m) on a 10m extension and a 13amp adapter from Amazon. Used on max power (3kw) for long charges of 24hrs with no issues at all. For the first few hours I checked the connections regularly for heat build up and although everything does get warm it all worked fine.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post