Granny Cable

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
DN8

Post by DN8 »

Good evening

I am picking up my first EV later this week IV80 suite.

I have my electrician who installed my PV system set to install a Zappi on Monday

So what is peoples thoughts on having a Granny Cable in the boot with the Skoda supplied fast cable for those 'just in case ' situations. Also what is the difference in all the different granny cables? Seems a wide variation in cost, but are they all compatible with the Enyaq?

Cheers

CrowSysE243

Post by CrowSysE243 »

I think it depends on how/where you plan to use the car but I intend to get one when my Enyaq arrives. We use one to charge our Kona whenever we come to Northern Ireland. On the first 3 trips we did also use ESB/ecar-NI chargers when convenient and available for part of our charging, however we did not find any working that were not already in use in February and April this year, with some cars being connected for over 24 hours as they were free to use. Now that they are no longer free we have always found chargers available but have not used them because we have developed a strategy for using the Mode 2/Granny charging cable to meet our needs.

I am considering getting the Third Rock cable because it can be set to charge at 13A (as well as 6A and 8A) rather than 10A which could be useful when adjusting our strategy for the larger capacity battery and lower energy efficiency in the Enyaq.
iV80 Loft, 19"Regulus, Energy Blue, Maxx Pack, Travel Pack, Heat pump. Order Jul22. BuildWk17-23. UK WE23/6. Available 30/6/23. Collected 3/7/23 Untethered PodPoint. Third Rock mode 2 charger with Tough Leads modular extension lead and adapters.
xioxyx

Post by xioxyx »

I have the third rock cable, bought it when I got the car a month ago. Works very well (using it now) - can recommend
4rchibald

Post by 4rchibald »

It seems that the standard single phase granny charger pulls 16A when used with Schuko plug, so I'm not sure why it's locked to 10A when on a 3 pin UK plug.

Vag group had a ridiculous pricing for connectors though.
The cheapest I could find cost £100 and about £160 from the dealer, while Tesla offers theirs for less than £50 on their website
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

I use a Screwfix granny charger on my Enyaq which has proved reliable and can easily be returned to any local depot should any problems be encountered. My Tesla came supplied with a granny charger, which has also been completely reliable - if you can get one for £50 that would be a great price. Have just checked on the Tesla UK website and it is £180, still a great price as it includes a really sturdy case. Whatever you buy think about the cable length if you’re planning to use destination chargers, personally I would opt for 10 rather than 5 metres. I also carry a Tough Leads EV extension cable, pricey but provides peace of mind it won’t overheat.
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
xioxyx

Post by xioxyx »

The other good thing about the tough leads setup is that you can buy different connects for it. I have a schuko one for charging in France
DN8

Post by DN8 »

Looks as though the Third Rock Energy cable is fairly well received. What version have folks got, standard variable charge or the LCD screen version?
xioxyx

Post by xioxyx »

i bought the cheaper one. From memory - the main difference is that the one with the screen allows you to schedule charging. Whether that’s useful to you is probably only a decision you can make, but you can always set charging times in the car anyway.
KrisN

Post by KrisN »

I've had the standard version third rock cable for almost 2 years now and its always done the job for me

Definitely get something at least 10m - I've often wished my 10m cable was even longer... but this length has worked well to 'borrow' a charge from friends, holiday cottages etc
Susans Dad

Post by Susans Dad »

I purchased one from Screwfix as a just in case. Used it once when visiting relations in a remote part of Scotland. yes 10 m length is best as ideal for campsite etc.
Ordered 21 July 2021 - Enyaq iv 80 , Artic Silver, 21 Betria wheels, Light & view pack +, Infotainment pack +, Assisted drive pack +, Comfort seat pack +, Parking +, Climate pack +, Driving sport pack, Pan roof & now 125kW fast charge

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post