If you put car in drive or reverse and then open the doors

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
frankfurterbear1

Post by frankfurterbear1 »

The car drives forward or backwards.
Is there anyway to prevent this?

In the madness of school rush when water bottles, violins or trainers have been forgotten sometimes might have car set to drive and then open the car door and it drives off. Is there a way to deactivate this?

Used to happen on the Karoq also.

chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

I am guessing you mean when you open a door and take your foot off the brake in an attempt to get out.

When you select D or R, you have effectively selected a gear. If you take your foot off the brake, it will start to move.

Same as it would if you put a manual car in gear and lifted the clutch pedal. But a manual car would jolt forward and then stall.

You need to select Neutral and apply the handbrake or just press the Stop/start button to turn the car off before you attempt to get out.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

In a dsg car the auto hold should keep it stationary, unless tuned off?
In Enyaq in drive mode surely again autohold should prevent car from moving?
I park on a steep drive, select D with foot on brake, but can then release brake and car does not move until I touch the accelerator. Even then it will not roll back?
Why should it roll back or start to drive if I open the door with car in autohold? I can imagine doing so to check car position between parking line for example, which I have done with no driving away.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

If I open driver’s door on mine the car switches off & applies handbrake, as if I’d pressed the stop/start button.
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

As does mine, instantly goes to N with parking brake still on as you open door.
The Karoq would only do what you said if you had turned of autohold, which is easy to do by pressing selector button. It would stay off until selected again even if car switched on and off in meantime. Useful in heavy traffic as if you take foot off brake it would start to creep forward. Not related to opening door at all in Karoq, just to taking foot off brake.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

Ken / Mike

You are both correct. Auto hold should hold you and yes you can take your foot off the brake in traffic or when your driving off on a steep hill.

But there is a strange thing that happens in the Enyaq if you do things in a rush. I know because it’s happen to me.

If you get in the car, turn it on, press the accelerator to start off, the auto hold is released. Then you forget you have locked the front door for example. So you need to get out of the car.

If you open the door with your foot on the brake. Wait a second or so the car will turn off and apply the handbrake itself.

But if you open the door and attempt to get out in a rush before the car’s turned off, it will start to move and you might be already half out of the car.

To avoid this you need to try not rush and wait a second or so for the car to turn itself off. Or like I said in my first reply, use the stop/start button.

That way you know the car won’t attempt to drive off without you in the drivers seat.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

There are some occasions when you would want to open the door whilst moving slowly, eg to check you are between parking line or missing an obstruction. This may be why it does this by design.
As you say you should take care when opening the door to get out and ideally press off button first or even just engage parking brake manually first if in doubt.
frankfurterbear1

Post by frankfurterbear1 »

Thanks for your replies.
I've nearly went through the Garage door twice, when checking did I lock the front door!
It is what you say, you do it in a rush, but can't rush going forward to prevent any unfortunate accident.
vaupell

Post by vaupell »

Sounds very strange, as soon as i get out the seat it applies the p brake and turns off. no matter which selection i have.

That i find annoying as some of the places there are gates i need to get out to open/close. But it never drove off on me.
SKODA Enyaq 80 Premium EL 204 hk 150 kW AUT1
1Z1Z - BLACK MAGIC & ECOSUITE

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post