One week with the iv80 - thoughts and questions!

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
livingforever

Post by livingforever »

Finally got my car (IV 80, Clever Pack) last week after 11 months of waiting (6 weeks of which was the dealer and the lease company not talking to each other properly…!)

Anyway, after a week here are my thoughts.

First up, I really, really like it. It’s my first EV, coming from a 10-year old Diesel VW Jetta, and it’s a much more fun car (plus I’m loving all the things that most new cars have these days like parking sensors/cameras and the remote A/C control.)

But here are some of the less good things and I wonder if any of them are just me doing it wrong:

- I cannot get the boot to open with the key fob, whatever I do. The first few times I tried I realised the car was probably locked but I tried it again last night and it definitely wasn’t locked.

- Talking of the boot, the crummy rubber pull-down thing is by far the cheapest thing on the car. Would it have killed Skoda to add an automatic close button inside the boot? I’m sure hire cars I’ve had in the last 10 years have had this.

- It is a very firm ride at the moment, I feel like we are bouncing so much over every bump we might take off one day. Anything I should adjust to sort that?

- the wireless phone charging pads in the front don’t seem that great. The drivers side one makes my phone ridiculously hot, and it seems to keep intermittently stop charging (which I can easily see happening because it takes over the infotainment screen every time it starts again…) The passenger side one, well I’m not sure there is one because I can’t get either of my iPhones to sit in that gap!

- the app(s) are ridiculously flaky as already documented on here at length. I try to use the new one and then as soon as it doesn’t work I go back to the old one, which often does what I want it to do. But yeah as other people have said, this is basically part of the car so it should be as good as the car itself.

- There must be a way to stop everything shutting off as soon as I get out of the drivers’ seat, right? I can’t be the only person who goes into a shop or services for 10 mins and wants to leave their family sitting in the car with music and A/C on?

More as and when I find it!

snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

Congratulations on the new car!
livingforever wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:41 pm - I cannot get the boot to open with the key fob, whatever I do. The first few times I tried I realised the car was probably locked but I tried it again last night and it definitely wasn’t locked.
I was going to say you need to long press the button, but maybe not as that is how you operate the powered boot lift, which it seems you don't have...
livingforever wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:41 pm - Talking of the boot, the crummy rubber pull-down thing is by far the cheapest thing on the car. Would it have killed Skoda to add an automatic close button inside the boot? I’m sure hire cars I’ve had in the last 10 years have had this.
It is an option, not sure which of the current packs it comes with, obviously not the clever pack!
livingforever wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:41 pm - the wireless phone charging pads in the front don’t seem that great. The drivers side one makes my phone ridiculously hot, and it seems to keep intermittently stop charging (which I can easily see happening because it takes over the infotainment screen every time it starts again…) The passenger side one, well I’m not sure there is one because I can’t get either of my iPhones to sit in that gap!
There is only one, on the driver's side. Some people find them rock solid, others don't work at all. With mine, it mostly works, but does intermittently stop just like yours. I tend to plug it in and chuck the phone on the left.
livingforever wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:41 pm - There must be a way to stop everything shutting off as soon as I get out of the drivers’ seat, right? I can’t be the only person who goes into a shop or services for 10 mins and wants to leave their family sitting in the car with music and A/C on?
There is an option when it says goodbye to leave air con running. I haven't worked out the entertainment staying on though - I keep meaning to research that or just ask on here!
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Ordered 20th December 2021, mine 21st March 2023
Charger: Zappi
livingforever

Post by livingforever »

Thanks for the reply, snalbansed!

So, are you saying that without paying for the next pack up, which includes the “wave your foot under the boot to open it” thing, there is no way to open the boot without using my hands?

I’ve been able to pop the boot with my key fob on the last 15 years worth of VW cars I’ve driven!
Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

Glad to hear you've got the vehicle and are enjoying it.
Clever Pack, eh? That certainly wasn't listed when I ordered my iV60 in January 2022. Having checked now, it seems to be an amalgamation of various other existing packages, plus new items. What a name. I'm not sure I would have known what was in it from the label alone. Very Skoda!
- I cannot get the boot to open with the key fob, whatever I do. The first few times I tried I realised the car was probably locked but I tried it again last night and it definitely wasn’t locked.
Just realised I don't think I've ever tried this. Only times I've ever wanted to open to boot so far are when I've been right at it, and hands or foot-kick have worked for my needs. Might give this a try just to see.

- Talking of the boot, the crummy rubber pull-down thing is by far the cheapest thing on the car. Would it have killed Skoda to add an automatic close button inside the boot? I’m sure hire cars I’ve had in the last 10 years have had this.
Must be buried in one of the packs that Skoda offer under a not-so-clever name. I've got the close button, but my rather shorter wife does find it quite a stretch when the boot is open. She would almost have been happier with a hanging strap!

- It is a very firm ride at the moment, I feel like we are bouncing so much over every bump we might take off one day. Anything I should adjust to sort that?
Initially I didn't notice that about the ride, but I've come to agree. Some months after getting the car I was getting ready for a long fully-loaded (passenegers and luggage) journey and I pumped the tyres up to max setting. After that journey, when the car was empty again, I became much more aware of pot-holes and bumps, and I put it down to not having reduced tyre pressures to normal again. However, even since adjusting that I think I'm still sensitised now. I do find the ride on the hard side of firm. On good roads it handles very well indeed, but give it a few pot-holes, manholes, and sewer grids and you know about every one.

- the wireless phone charging pads in the front don’t seem that great. The drivers side one makes my phone ridiculously hot, and it seems to keep intermittently stop charging (which I can easily see happening because it takes over the infotainment screen every time it starts again…) The passenger side one, well I’m not sure there is one because I can’t get either of my iPhones to sit in that gap!
Agree. The driver's side pad is slow (doesn't concern me too much as it's not the primary charging spot for my phone), intermittent, and yes, the phone does cook! I've tried two Android phones in there and they both show exactly the same characteristics. Not had cause to try the passenger's side pad. Oh well, ...

- the app(s) are ridiculously flaky as already documented on here at length. I try to use the new one and then as soon as it doesn’t work I go back to the old one, which often does what I want it to do. But yeah as other people have said, this is basically part of the car so it should be as good as the car itself.
Yes, yes and yes.

- There must be a way to stop everything shutting off as soon as I get out of the drivers’ seat, right? I can’t be the only person who goes into a shop or services for 10 mins and wants to leave their family sitting in the car with music and A/C on?
I don't know about this, but I think we (makers and users) may need to get used to a change of mindset here. On ICE cars, leaving all the electrics working was fine, as that wasn't the main motive power of the vehicle. On EVs there may be a feeling by Skoda that you should shut off electrics all round if there's no driver. This forum has already covered issues like the very small 12V battery which provides power for displays, audio etc, and the main 400V (? have I got that right?) system that powers the car and the small 12V battery. Better solution needed certainly. Larger 12V battery means extra weight, but surely some genius in Skoda can come up with an idea.

Enjoy the car. I find the imbalance between hardware excellence and software mediocrity infuriating, but overall I'm very pleased indeed with my Enyaq.
Helijock

Post by Helijock »

If you wish to keep things working in the car when you leave it, leave the keys in the car and press the start button when you are outside the car (no weight on the seat) car. Everything starts up again and continues to work. Use this most days if my wife stays in the car.
Ordered June 21. Race Blue, Suit, 19" Proteus wheels, 100kw charging, Heat Pump, Comfort seat plus, Climate package plus, Transport pack, Drive Sport basic, Assisted Drive basic, Parking basic. Then I ran out of money!
livingforever

Post by livingforever »

Helijock wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:39 pm If you wish to keep things working in the car when you leave it, leave the keys in the car and press the start button when you are outside the car (no weight on the seat) car. Everything starts up again and continues to work. Use this most days if my wife stays in the car.
Ahhh yes! That’s exactly what I wanted, thank you :)

One annoyance down, few more to go :D
livingforever

Post by livingforever »

Thanks for your thoughts! Yep; the Clever Pack is one of 4 “bundles” of extras that you can now choose, rather than being able to select everything for a fee.

I can totally see why they did this as there must have been thousands of combinations of extras which has to slow down manufacture, you’d think. But still, it appears that it does mean that if I wanted an automatic tailgate / boot, I’d have needed to go to the next pack up for another however many thousand pounds, and with mostly stuff I didn’t care about.

I’m a bit annoyed as I thought what I was deciding against paying for was just the “wave your foot underneath the boot to open” thing which seemed unnecessary when I could surely just open the boot with the key fob like was standard on any number of older cars.

Ho-hum!

Walter Eagle wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:09 pm Glad to hear you've got the vehicle and are enjoying it.
Clever Pack, eh? That certainly wasn't listed when I ordered my iV60 in January 2022. Having checked now, it seems to be an amalgamation of various other existing packages, plus new items. What a name. I'm not sure I would have known what was in it from the label alone. Very Skoda!
Just realised I don't think I've ever tried this. Only times I've ever wanted to open to boot so far are when I've been right at it, and hands or foot-kick have worked for my needs. Might give this a try just to see.

Must be buried in one of the packs that Skoda offer under a not-so-clever name. I've got the close button, but my rather shorter wife does find it quite a stretch when the boot is open. She would almost have been happier with a hanging strap!

Initially I didn't notice that about the ride, but I've come to agree. Some months after getting the car I was getting ready for a long fully-loaded (passenegers and luggage) journey and I pumped the tyres up to max setting. After that journey, when the car was empty again, I became much more aware of pot-holes and bumps, and I put it down to not having reduced tyre pressures to normal again. However, even since adjusting that I think I'm still sensitised now. I do find the ride on the hard side of firm. On good roads it handles very well indeed, but give it a few pot-holes, manholes, and sewer grids and you know about every one.

Agree. The driver's side pad is slow (doesn't concern me too much as it's not the primary charging spot for my phone), intermittent, and yes, the phone does cook! I've tried two Android phones in there and they both show exactly the same characteristics. Not had cause to try the passenger's side pad. Oh well, ...

Yes, yes and yes.

I don't know about this, but I think we (makers and users) may need to get used to a change of mindset here. On ICE cars, leaving all the electrics working was fine, as that wasn't the main motive power of the vehicle. On EVs there may be a feeling by Skoda that you should shut off electrics all round if there's no driver. This forum has already covered issues like the very small 12V battery which provides power for displays, audio etc, and the main 400V (? have I got that right?) system that powers the car and the small 12V battery. Better solution needed certainly. Larger 12V battery means extra weight, but surely some genius in Skoda can come up with an idea.

Enjoy the car. I find the imbalance between hardware excellence and software mediocrity infuriating, but overall I'm very pleased indeed with my Enyaq.
livingforever

Post by livingforever »

Today’s weirdness - went out just now to put stuff in the bins and noticed there was a single strip of light on the passenger side headlight and at the rear too - some sort of parking light?

Spent 10 mins in the car with the manual figuring out how to turn this off, have a horrid feeling it’ll default to back on again next time I drive it!
Lorttrol

Post by Lorttrol »

livingforever wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:58 pm Today’s weirdness - went out just now to put stuff in the bins and noticed there was a single strip of light on the passenger side headlight and at the rear too - some sort of parking light?

Spent 10 mins in the car with the manual figuring out how to turn this off, have a horrid feeling it’ll default to back on again next time I drive it!
This is usually done by the indicator stalk being set for left or right if memory serves me well. Knock it back to the middle and the light should go out.
Ordered 8th Jan 22 - 80, Energy Blue, Loft, Light and View +, Convenience +, Drive Pack +, Comfort seat basic, Climate Package basic, Drive Sport Basic and HUD. Delivery 41 weeks to the day!
Previous: Tarraco, 1st Edition Plus 2.0 TDI 7 speed DSG 4WD
livingforever

Post by livingforever »

Lorttrol wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:07 pm
livingforever wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:58 pm Today’s weirdness - went out just now to put stuff in the bins and noticed there was a single strip of light on the passenger side headlight and at the rear too - some sort of parking light?

This is usually done by the indicator stalk being set for left or right if memory serves me well. Knock it back to the middle and the light should go out.
You could well be right - it’s certainly marked on the indicator stalk but couldn’t for the life of me work out how to actually change the setting. I quite likely disabled something else then, AND also moved that stalk back to the middle which is what actually turned it off!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post