Rear End Collision - Unexpected Safety Feature?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

After having to make an emergency stop myself due to cars in front stopping quickly (Enyaq detected this and inititiated emergency braking) about 4 seconds later a young driver who sadly wasn’t paying attention then crashed into the rear of my vehicle.

Immediately prior to being rear ended mine and the passenger seatbelt were tightened automatically.

For those who have been brave enough to “test” letting go of the steering wheel for long enough for the car to cycle through the cars response when ACC is activated but you don’t steer you will know right before it takes over steering, braking, putting the hazards and calling emergency services it pulls the seat belt twice against your chest. This was unexpected and shocking but obviously there to try and wake you up (system assuming you’ve fallen asleep or something I assume).

What I’m mostly interested in is that the car detected the rear end collision and tightened the seatbelts - which is incredible.

What’s more. The other car, a Hyundai i30 was totally written off. Complete front end damage and the Enyaq doesn’t show any damage. It’s like a tank! The dealership body shop is replacing the bumper as it has obviously taken the impact and there are a few minor scratches but overall I’m seriously impressed.

Luckily our small human was at pre-school or I would have been far more concerned but at the end of the day these things do happen. The other driver was certainly expecting me to lose it. Which is sad. Her insurance have confirmed she is at fault and have paid out. Will most likely affect my premium next year but it’s all good. Could have been worse.

Here’s a picture showing the lack of damage post collision.

IMG_4102.jpeg

Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

Why should your insurance renewal be affected. You are not at fault if the other nsurance company pays all the costs to including repairs to your car and refunds any excess you have had to pay.

I have been rear ended and you don’t have to record it as a claim you have made once all costs recovered from other party. Not always the case though as so many uninsured cars out there.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

Great story. So sorry that you had to experience the events first hand to find out, but ... er, rather you than me?
Hope all goes well with next year's premium!
RallimG

Post by RallimG »

Ken3966 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:06 am Why should your insurance renewal be affected. You are not at fault if the other nsurance company pays all the costs to including repairs to your car and refunds any excess you have had to pay.

I have been rear ended and you don’t have to record it as a claim you have made once all costs recovered from other party. Not always the case though as so many uninsured cars out there.
Nearly all insurance companies will require that you inform them of all fault and no-fault (claim or no-claim) accidents. From what I understand even when it is not your fault it can ultimately increase your premium as you are now considered statistically a higher risk.... :-( does it make sense or is it fair... doesn't feel like it... but I believe that's what it is. To me its not worth gambling with the risk that you end up being uninsured as you hadn't disclosed the incident when something happens....
Enyaq iV Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW Charging, Family Pack, Climate+, Conv. +, Drive+, Infotainment+ & Assisted Drive +.
Ordered Jun 2021 - delivered Jan 2023.
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

Wasn’t suggesting that at all, there was a no fault accident that should be declared on renewal, I just don’t see how that makes you a higher risk.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
RallimG

Post by RallimG »

Totally agree - it doesn't make sense when all you've done is been in the wrong place at the wrong time.....
Enyaq iV Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW Charging, Family Pack, Climate+, Conv. +, Drive+, Infotainment+ & Assisted Drive +.
Ordered Jun 2021 - delivered Jan 2023.
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

Yeah - sadly it’s a reality even if it’s not affected your no claims / costs recovered. It just does increase. The insurance claims handler confirmed it, I appreciated the honesty. It’s just one of those things.

Main point of the post was in regards to the apparent detection of rear end collision which tightened our seat belts. I thought this was very impressive!
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Statistical analysis shows those who have accidents, even non fault ones, are at a higher risk of having more accidents. Doesn't seem fair, but that's what the figures show.

The lack of rear damage is surprising. My old Audi was rear ended, and like yours it looked perfect afterwards. However there was serious damage to the boot floor. The plastic bumper etc all just pops back into shape as it's fairly flexible. But the metalwork behind was pretty crumpled. Fingers crossed your ok!
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

Aragorn wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:01 am Statistical analysis shows those who have accidents, even non fault ones, are at a higher risk of having more accidents. Doesn't seem fair, but that's what the figures show.

The lack of rear damage is surprising. My old Audi was rear ended, and like yours it looked perfect afterwards. However there was serious damage to the boot floor. The plastic bumper etc all just pops back into shape as it's fairly flexible. But the metalwork behind was pretty crumpled. Fingers crossed your ok!
It’s been inspected by the dealership bodywork place who have confirmed there is no real damage to anything other than the superficial marks shown. The bumper has obviously flexed and the entire rear bumper (think he said it’s made up of 4/5 segments) will be replaced so it’s back to how it should be but he couldn’t see any further damage. If when they replace the bumper further damage is found then this will be looked into but so far so good. Pretty impressed considering every panel on the other car had crumpled as expected!

I’ll update if and when further damage is found.
Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

Bacon wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:29 pm It’s been inspected by the dealership bodywork place who have confirmed there is no real damage to anything other than the superficial marks shown. The bumper has obviously flexed and the entire rear bumper (think he said it’s made up of 4/5 segments) will be replaced so it’s back to how it should be but he couldn’t see any further damage. If when they replace the bumper further damage is found then this will be looked into but so far so good. Pretty impressed considering every panel on the other car had crumpled as expected!

I’ll update if and when further damage is found.
I'd hope the driver that ran in to you had at least made some attempt to brake.
Even with modern well-adjusted suspension etc I assume that the nose of their car would have dipped? No idea how much.
Could it then be that their bodywork hit your bumper, rather than being bumper-to-bumper?
Hence they suffered much more damage while our sturdy Enyaq shrugged it off?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post