Lane assist

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

Ive never felt that Lane Assist in Skodas is particularly invasive compared to other cars ive driven such as a Ford Fiesta that managed to frighten the life out of me. The Lane Assist I have on the Enyaq 80 is nowhere near as strong as our Kodiaq Edition had.
Ive gotten used to it so it doesnt bother me any more but appreciate it on those long motorway journeys.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.

RichR

Post by RichR »

metalmadhammer wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:24 am Ive never felt that Lane Assist in Skodas is particularly invasive compared to other cars ive driven
Agreed - I've had some hire cars (eg Toyota) that scream at you if you cross a white line, even at low speed. The Skoda one is a nice gentle pull on the steering wheel with no beeps or vibrations, and it does nothing at lower speeds so doesn't get offended by carpark markings.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Enyaq

Post by Enyaq »

Decide wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:43 am
PulsarBarry wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:43 am Having to 'log in' and turn off lane 'assist' on EVERY journey are two of the things I hate most about this car! As others have said, you can add 'assist' systems to the shortcut menu but it is still 4 screen clicks to accomplish when your eyes should be on the road!
Two clicks if it's in favourites at bottom.
Could you possibly post an idiots guide how to do that please, I haven't managed to work it out !?
iV60 Arctic Silver, 20" Vega's, Pod Point 7kw home charger. F & R Dash cams with fuse mod. and a few farkles...... :D
Decide

Post by Decide »

Not near car ATM, but iirc press and hold favourites ( for a while) to change items.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Ken3966 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:47 am I don’t think my vRS has the travel assist option. When built all options were available to pick individually, but although many options fitted that’s not there.
I have turned off all the options in lane assist except the nudge effect which has to be turned off every restart, if so inclined. I don’t bother myself.

Strangely I could leave lane assist on in previous Karoq and it made a fair effort at following centre of lane without me actively steering, the Enyaq is very poor at actually steering the car if at all, really just a jerk as it crosses the line?
Travel assist (the option you don't have), does the centre of lane steering, while lane assist just keeps you from leaving the carriageway. I actually like both systems and find they work well. I only use travel assist on motorways, dual carriageways and sometimes major A roads. It sounds like the lane assist in the Karoq was closer to the travel assist function in the Enyaq.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
Powerstar

Post by Powerstar »

Enyaq wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:00 pm
Decide wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:43 am
PulsarBarry wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:43 am Having to 'log in' and turn off lane 'assist' on EVERY journey are two of the things I hate most about this car! As others have said, you can add 'assist' systems to the shortcut menu but it is still 4 screen clicks to accomplish when your eyes should be on the road!
Two clicks if it's in favourites at bottom.
Could you possibly post an idiots guide how to do that please, I haven't managed to work it out !?
You might find one of these videos helpful:

https://www.skoda-auto.com/services/enyaq-videos
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

For me it’s more noticeable when in towns that have thin lanes bridges and cycle lanes . There’s one particular stretch of road which goes over a bridge and at the crest pulls you into oncoming traffic then further down the road try’s to pull you into a central crossing island
HalfManHalfFish

Post by HalfManHalfFish »

There have always been luddites. I remember people moaning about ABS when it first came out, and then about traction control. But sometimes the luddites are right. I am a big fan of automation when it's safe and helpful. The Enyaq's lane assist is neither of these things. Whether it's me or my partner driving the first thing we do after the infotainment system has finally completed its very slow boot-up procedure is to ask the passenger "can you turn off the random steering for me?"
I could describe countless occasions when it has tried to steer me into parked vehicles, onto pavements etc. Or conversely the occasions whennit failed to take any action when the car has actually crossed the white line into the path of oncoming traffic (which is its while reason for existing after all) but its worst behaviour, its most dangerous, happens on country roads. Mostly it stays quiet because it is baffled by the lack of white lines but then every once in while it spots something - a heron in a nearby field maybe? An interesting blade of grass protruding from a hedge? And there you are, negotiating a corner when suddenly the lane control system wakes up and nudges the steering for absolutely no reason at all. What it feels like is a loss of grip on the road surface - perhaps loose gravel? And your attention is drawn away from the important job of keeping the car on the ideal line while watching out for oncoming vehicles and unexpected obstacles.
I don't know what committee decided that such a half-baked, unreliable new idea should be made mandatory but they got this one very wrong indeed.
RallimG

Post by RallimG »

I do think you get used to it the longer you have the car, and like others have said its a gentle nudge with some 'orange lines' in the HUD. When I had an Audi Q4 for a demo that seemed to be far harsher than the Enyaq.... mind you there was 18months between the demo Q4 and the Enyaq arriving so maybe my memory isnt as clear.... :-D I think the only time I've found it 'disturbing' / worrying is not long after having the car in January driving on a icy / slippery road it kicked in a couple of times and it made me think I'd lost traction.
Enyaq iV Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW Charging, Family Pack, Climate+, Conv. +, Drive+, Infotainment+ & Assisted Drive +.
Ordered Jun 2021 - delivered Jan 2023.
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

It is pretty bad in Finland especially during the winter, when lanes are not detected properly and even a small sudden pull on the steering might cause dangerous situations. Mostly works ok, but there are some locations where it always messes up and does sudden interactions without notice.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post