What home charger are you considering?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi there,

I went for PodPoint in the end (I've put the install off until September, as we have other works going on right now).

I chose them after seeing their video interview on Fully Charged (I think) on YouTube - and they appear to come across as a nice UK based trustworthy company. The price was good too. About £600 I think for the 7kW option - which includes the grant currently available.

Cheers !
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

Superfind

Post by Superfind »

Until I placed an order for an Enyaq I had no idea there were so many options for home charging, and how many different providers there are for public charging too.
Podpoint is the one most dealerships recommend but the Zappi looks good too, and the rest have their pros and cons.
As for public charging - if the government want more people to switch to electric cars they should really be encouraging the various companies to standardise the process, as there's currently a variety of players all operating slightly differently when it comes to access and payment,
Wombleyaq

Post by Wombleyaq »

I went for an Ohme charger. Their USP is a tie in with Octopus Go but also works with other cheap rate overnight tariffs for lower cost car charging. With all of those you need a smart meter for variable cost tariffs.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

Went with the Skoda (Elli / VW) Charger Connect+ and also got the PowerPass now to make it easier for connecting with any charge station...might pay slightly more when not a direct account holder for some of them, but makes life so much easier.
Zarjaz99

Post by Zarjaz99 »

I've gone for the Wallbox Pulsar. £324 installed after the UK govt £350 grant, and the £250 Energy Saving Trust Scotland grant.
Superfind

Post by Superfind »

I opted for PodPoint in the end - £349 installed (UK & Scottish grants).
Their ordering process seemed very simple.
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to separate the various chargers
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

I think there's not much difference between them.
Most of us will get a standard 7.4 kW charger fitted.
Main choices are whether you want the charger to have its own cable tethered to it or to get one out of your boot each time.
And check the installer's small print about what counts as a "standard installation". Often prices quoted are for cabling less than 10 metres, and drilling through no more than one wall.
The Zappi is meant to work well with solar panels, and check if you can lock the charger, but other than that, I think they're all pretty similar.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
Superfind

Post by Superfind »

The standard install for PodPoint includes 15 metres of cable which should be more than enough for most people.
I went for the tethered option as I didn't fancy having to get the cable out of the boot every time I charge.
They offer a lock for £39 but I didn't bother. The likelihood of anyone stealing your electricity is minimal, they'd need to be parked in my driveway for at least a few hours to make it worthwhile, and when you go away on holiday you can just turn it off at the fusebox.
jamest

Post by jamest »

I've been looking at the Ohme for the tariff integration, and Zappi for the solar integration. However for half the year my solar panels wouldn't make much of a dent in charging at 7kW, so I recon the Ohme is likely to be what I'll go for, along with the Octopus Agile tariff.

What is the usual lead time for these things (I likely have 17 weeks before the car arrives)?

Is running a cable round the garage to install the charger in the optimal location covered in the price, or should I get an electrician out first?
Ordered 17th March 2021, delivered 17th November 2021. Enyaq iV 60 Suite, Moon White Metallic, 100kW, Comfort Seat Package Basic, Family Package Basic, Convenience Package Plus, Drive Sport Package Basic, Assisted Drive Package Plus, Parking Package Plus.
RichR

Post by RichR »

The installation company will usually want a diagram of where your fusebox (consumer unit) is and where you want the charge point fitting. When I had my Podpoint fitted a few years ago I sent them photos of the fusebox area, the walls the cable needed to go through and so on. They tend to fit their own breaker box next to your existing fusebox, and run thick armoured cable from there out of the house and to the charge point location. You usually get a run of about 10-15m included in the price. Podpoint and some of the others also have a smaller cable that runs back from the charge point to the electricity meter where there's a current clamp sensor attached, so if the demand from the rest of the house is high (eg electric shower, immersion heater, hob all on) then it'll cut the car charge off so you don't risk popping the main supply fuse.

I went for a 7.2kw socketed Podpoint, because although my current car (Outlander PHEV) only charges at 3.6kw max, and has a Type 1 connector, I knew at some point I'd be changing to something that could charge at 7.2kw and would probably be Type 2. I just leave a Type 2 to Type 1 cable permanently plugged in, so it's like having a tethered one. I don't charge my Outlander at public charge points (because it's not worth charging for 20 minutes to get 20 miles of range). But when I get my Enyaq I'll be buying a second Type 2 charge cable so I can keep one in the car and leave one plugged in at home.

Mine took three weeks from initial contact on the web site to installation. But installers might be busier now, and COVID may have affected things.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post