Home Charger - Tethered or Untethered?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
anglefire

Post by anglefire »

Martin26 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:37 pm I'm likely to opt for either Ohme Home (tethered) or Ohme e-pod (untethered).

The Ohme Home unit itself is neat and compact, but with nowhere to coil the cable when not in use other than a simple bracket to hang the coil on. Looks fairly unsightly. So, the Ohme e-pod seems like a neater option. However, when using a removable charging cable I've heard that the cables can be targets for thieves, as potentially easy to remove when is use.

Although the Enyaq will be on the driveway and never go in the garage (that's occupied by a 1970 Triumph Spitfire), I have the option to install the charger either inside the garage or outside, so I effectively have 3 options to choose between:
- Tethered in garage
- Tethered outside garage
- Untethered outside garage

(Seems little point having untethered IN the garage)

I know there is obviously an element of personal preference involved, but wondering if there are any strong arguments that would influence my decision?

Also, I'd like to know if the cables are somehow locked in place when attached to the vehicle (and hence a theft deterrent).
I have a 1977 Spitfire in my garage!

I have an untethered Zappi - only because having 5 cars (Wife, kids and toy!) and being last on the drive as I don't want to move cars to charge mine, I need a long cable - 10m might have reached if it was like a guitar string, so I have a 15m one - I have it stored in the garage on a hook - it isn't a big deal to just open the garage door to get it out and put it away.

The cable that came with the car, I have put into the front of the car in a frunk tray I bought (Expensive, but pretty useful) and used it a couple of times last week when away to charge at untethered 22kW chargers in carparks.

Pict

Post by Pict »

We have an untethered Wallbox but leave a spare cable attached at all times unless we are away for a period of time
60 Lounge, Quartz Grey, 100 kW charging, Tow bar, Sunroof, Comfort Basic, Family Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Basic

Mrs PIct has MG ZS EV, so a fully electric household
orrery

Post by orrery »

I'd go for tethered provided:
- you have a type 2 on the car
- you get a long enough cable

If you have type 1, then make it untethered.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

Tethered but external driveway (fairly exposed new build) and the device I have wraps around fairly neatly. The back of my Yak is like a bomb has gone off full of kids toys, clothes, wellies and a pushchair etc so the thought of finding my cable gives me shivers! 😂

IMG_5272.jpeg

riki1

Post by riki1 »

Hello, I use the charger bought with Enyaq, I just made a shelf and a holder for the cable. It's a hassle-free solution, when I need to take the charger on a trip, I pack everything in the trunk. I charge mostly at night, in three phases of 11 kW.

SKODA Enyaq RS Coupe, ( riki1.eu )
citylearn

Post by citylearn »

I have a tethered Zappi too which I would recommend for reasons already mentioned.
Had the Enyaq for over a year. iV80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 19” Regulus, 125kW, Electric Tow Bar, Climate, Light & View, Heat Pump, Convenience Package +, Asst Drive +, Comfort Seat Basic, Tethered Zappi for solar panels.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post