View available range while rapid charging

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
mrwobling

Post by mrwobling »

Although my new Enyaq is the 3rd EV I've owned, ahead of a late night road trip tomorrow, I decided I'd hit the Enyaq rapid charging learning curve this afternoon.

I gave up on the Shell Recharge 50kw charger, which was only pushing 33kw, despite SOC being down to 12% after driving over an hour at 70mph, and headed over to the local Tesla Supercharger, which happens to be open to non-Teslas. This pushed 100+kw straight out of the gate and went well until I became unable to unplug the charger at the end of the charge, having stopped the charge in the Tesla app. Fortunately locking and unlocking the car freed the cable. Hopefully I didn't get stung any over-stay feels while I figured this one out.

Anyway, one remaining question from my rapid charge experiment today - how do you see how much predicted range the vehicle has while rapid charging? I couldn't see it anywhere, only % SOC or remaining charging time.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

Is your car new?
My car on software 3.2 gives range on dash if you have car switched on, and shows it on app on phone?

I did read that this was not shown on software version 3 or below on older cars?

The range shown is determined from the last 60 miles of use, so is only a guesstimate for future use.
If you have been driving 60 plus miles into a long trip where you will continue in same manor it is pretty accurate though.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
mrwobling

Post by mrwobling »

Thank you - yes switching the car on did the trick. Was nervous to try this last time as worried about interrupting the charge.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Ken3966 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:15 am I did read that this was not shown on software version 3 or below on older cars?
Estimated range is shown on ME2.x on the Charging screen, but it doesn't show the current power in kW, that's what was added in ME3.1. So you could still decide when you'd got enough to get to your next planned stop, but not really as much of a clear indication of whether the charger was supplying a decent amount. Though seeing the range only increase slowly was a reasonable clue.

It's very common on petrol station chargers to provide way less than the charger model is actually capable of, usually because it's been limited to about 25kW due to the supply arrangement, or if it's got two plugs, because it's split between the two. So I tend only to use those if I only need to add 50 miles or so, and then look for a decent Instavolt/Ionity/newer Gridserve/Applegreen where I know I'll get 100kW+.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post