Charging at 50% rate?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Devizes2008

Post by Devizes2008 »

Hey

I have my Enyaq since May 2023 and almost at that same time I moved to Octopus Intelligent and it always worked find - Octopus controlling the charging schedule. But before the end of 2023 it started behaving erratically. I have another post about that on this forum. But this below is new problem now.

I stopped the intelligent charging on the Octopus app until they find a solution for the above problem as I don't want to pay for charging outside the cheaper period, so I decided to have my Hypervolt (HV) controlling the charge.
I set the HV to charge between 1:00 and 5:30am. for two nights the car wasn't fully charged (80%). It should be charging at the usual rate (7.4kW), but I caught it this morning before schedule end at 3.4kW.

Has anyone seen this before? Before anyone asks, no nothing changed on the car, no schedules programmed. Only the HV is in charge of the charging period. I also checked all settings on the HV app and the Max charging limit is also set to 32A. Nothing indicates that there is a configuration problem. When I stop the charge on the Skoda app and restart it, it will go to 7.4kW but after a while it falls down again to the 3.4kW or around that.

Tonight I will remove the HV scheduling and will use the Enyaq's own charging schedule to see if this is some kind of bug between the HV and the car.
I noticed that when the HV is controlling the schedule and plug the car in the evening part of the skoda app shows the car picture plugged in but further down shows the car as unplugged. Maybe this is something confusing the car?

I will report back here once I have the results of the car's own schedule charging.

UPDATE: as said above last night tried to have the enyaq controlling the charge schedule and it all worked fine. So there must be something about the Hypervolt taking control. I have also contacted the manufacturer and if they tell me anything meaningful I will add it here.
Last edited by Devizes2008 on Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ Sometimes my PodPoint would only deliver 3.4kWh instead of 7kWh if we had lots of other high current things also coming on at exactly 12:30 am (the start of my cheap rate). This is because the PodPoint system limits its output if it sees there’s already a high draw on the system. I got around this by having only the charge start at 12:30 am and then other things like tumble dryer, underfloor heating etc starting around 10 mins later - by which time the Enyaq was already comfortably drawing its full charge (and it didn’t seem to throttle back when everything else starts afterwards). Not sure if this is relevant in your case but maybe an area to check? Good luck!!
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Devizes2008

Post by Devizes2008 »

Thank you for your reply.
No, sadly that isn’t the case. The Hypervolt also has a an amp clamp to measure what the house is pulling. The house itself was only drawing 300W at the time.
Panagon

Post by Panagon »

Yes. I have this problem with my Zappi charger, when started bu Octopus it will normally only draw 3.5-4.0kw.

If I detect that this is happening I have a work around. The Zappi has three configurations,Fast, Eco, Eco++, the last two are all about solar charging. The last one (Eco++) is designed to maintain a minimum charge rate of 1.5Kw if the sun goes in.

If I remotely switch the zappi to Eco++ then the charge rate drops to 1.4Kw. Once this has happened I switch the zappi to fast and the charge rate rises to 7kw.

From this I have come to the conclusion that on initial startup the zappi and car negotiate a low rate of charge and maintain that for some reason. (obviously a fault). When switching back to fast a renegotiation occurs and the full charge rate is established.
orrery

Post by orrery »

I use a Hypervolt with the Enyaq, and I've got no such issue.
I do have an issue with Octopus not being able to control the car, but that seems to be to be a coverage problem when the car is close to the garage door.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Enyaq

Post by Enyaq »

I have the same with my pod point. Often only charges at around 4kw because we have other off peak load............

Yes there is a current transformer on the supply cable...

I just schedule it for 6 0r 7 hours during the off peak period and it gives me more than enough for several commutes to work......
iV60 Arctic Silver, 20" Vega's, Pod Point 7kw home charger. F & R Dash cams with fuse mod. and a few farkles...... :D
Devizes2008

Post by Devizes2008 »

Update: I have turned to Hypervolt to help me with finding out what could be happening. They ran a few logs during my last few charges at night and found that the problem is clearly with the Enyaq....
I have taken the full report with a pinch of salt as this finding is their side of the story. who would I best contact at skoda to start a conversation with someone who actually will understand this technical issue?

Anyone here who has made a positive experience?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post