Insurance costs!

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Bikeronnie

Post by Bikeronnie »

I'm just coming up to my first year of having the car and as such the insurance is due too! When I first got the car I did some hunting and got my insurance for circa £450. My car is a lease car through Vanarama and shortly after getting my quote elsewhere they called me and asked if they could give me a quote on a 3 year fixed deal. I thought "here we go, this will be pricey due to it being fixed for 3 years" but to my suprise it came in around £280 per year. Even though the price would be fixed (unless anything changed my end, speeding ticket, claim etc) the policy would renew every 12 months.

I recently had an email from them saying they would no longer be sending out any renewal notifications and as such it would be up to me to find my own insurance!!! After a an angry phone call I was told that the company that did this was no longer providing that service!!! I went into breach of contract etc but essentially that wouldn't get my car insured in the 7 days I had left before it was due, so off I went hunting the internet for insurance!

After 4-5 hours of filling in details on all the comparison websites and as many individual insurance company websites I could bear the best I could find was £614!........... More than double what I was paying! I am fully aware that my 3 year fixed price was very good but even compared to what I was quoted elsewhere only a year ago it's a hefty chunk more!

1) Has anyone else found this?

B) has anyone got any companies they recommend?

Having looked on line about EV insurance costs going up exponentially I see some horror stories, and even some Tesla owners are facing £2000 to insure their cars and after telling my sister of what had happened she told me her friend had a 2.5 petrol Audi and his had gone from £400 to £1500! What the hell is going on?

My problem is like many people, being a lease car i'm tied in so can't even just sell it if it gets even worse next year!

KBEE

Post by KBEE »

I’ve never heard of 3 year fixed deals on insurance, but would absolutely share your annoyance at them reneging on the deal. Sadly there’s probably not a lot you can do - the insurance ombudsman service is pretty toothless, I’m led to believe.

Insurance cost generally though just seem to be going up and up. My Enyaq is on a company salary sacrifice scheme so I don’t see the insurance costs directly, but our other car - a Mercedes B-Class - has seen insurance costs go up about 60% when we last renewed. No changes to anything else, and we couldn’t find any cheaper deals either.

We’re with LV= (Liverpool Victoria) who have been pretty good - the renewal quotes have actually been competitive with price comparisons.

Best bet is just to run the comparison sites and see what comes up. Who knows what dark arts go on behind the scenes, but the one certainty right now is that costs seem to keep heading upwards.
Ordered 10th Feb 2022:

Enyaq iV 80 Sportline
Energy Blue
Climate Pack Plus, Convenience Pack Plus, Family Pack, Panoramic Sunroof

Delivered 26th July 2023!
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

They've also shafted you a bit, as quotes tend to get more expensive the closer to the date. :(
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

£670 is a pretty good price for Enyaq. I got my insurance in September and it was £670 (for me and wife). Check the same quote, cheapest I can get is £880 now. Not looking forward to the renewal this year and hope it will settle down a bit. But not gonna hold my breathe on that one.

Those on salary sacrifice scheme with insurance included on monthly premium are the winners as it is a fixed cost.

Tho never heard of 3yr insurance deal either, must be some kind of fleet insurance.
Bikeronnie

Post by Bikeronnie »

I ended up with Aviva, they were the ones at £614 but ironically Adrian Flux just called after my online quote saying they could probably do better on the phone, they came back with £820!!!!!

I looked for the company that were providing that service to Vanarama and yep, they only do fleet insurance! Clearly it was not cost effective for them! They should of stopped offering new 3 year deals but honoured the current ones!
MK09

Post by MK09 »

Unfortunately the issue of rocketing insurance premiums is industry-wide and a topic on most of the car forums I’ve looked at. A lot of insurers won’t even touch some models, with JLR models in particular falling into this bracket. It’s one of the reason I’m selling my Volvo XC90 and getting an Enyaq on my employer’s salary sacrifice scheme, where the monthly cost includes insurance and maintenance. Insurance on my Volvo will have more than tripled in 3 years to c £1500 this time round. Even a quote on the Enyaq I have on order, which I ran out of interest, was coming in at over £1000.

I’m in Birmingham by the way - so car insurance premiums are way above average anyway.
NickyP

Post by NickyP »

Last year we paid circa £280, renewal not due until April but I've ran a dummy quote and the cheapest 'reputable' companies are coming in at around the £370 mark, an increase but not as bad as I was expecting.
MY22 Enyaq 60 nav suite, Race blue, 21" Betria wheels, 100kW charging, Comfort seat pack basic, Climate pack basic, Chrome pack, Driving sport package basic, Assisted drive pack basic, Parking pack basic, Panoramic roof.
Bikeronnie

Post by Bikeronnie »

NickyP wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:44 am Last year we paid circa £280, renewal not due until April but I've ran a dummy quote and the cheapest 'reputable' companies are coming in at around the £370 mark, an increase but not as bad as I was expecting.
Who was that with Nicky?
Decide

Post by Decide »

£650 last July :/

Birmingham Tax..
NickyP

Post by NickyP »

Bikeronnie wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:31 am
NickyP wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:44 am Last year we paid circa £280, renewal not due until April but I've ran a dummy quote and the cheapest 'reputable' companies are coming in at around the £370 mark, an increase but not as bad as I was expecting.
Who was that with Nicky?
Admiral, there are several in the same ball park, RAC, Post Office, aviva.....

We're in our 50's btw, age being one of many factors that affect a quote.
MY22 Enyaq 60 nav suite, Race blue, 21" Betria wheels, 100kW charging, Comfort seat pack basic, Climate pack basic, Chrome pack, Driving sport package basic, Assisted drive pack basic, Parking pack basic, Panoramic roof.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post