13A mains charging

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ exactly!! It’s a bit like relying only on petrol cans to fill your ICE car !!! Doable, yes. Practical? Not exactly! 🤪
Handy in emergencies? Absolutely.

Indeed they seem to be about £150 for generic ones. I’m not sure I trust Amazon entirely for something like this as they seem to sell all sorts of questionable c**p. I’d probably trust Argos or Screwfix more, as hopefully they’ve verified the electrical safety of such products and are easier to deal with - I think - face to face if there are any issues later on.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

RichR

Post by RichR »

Go for the brand, not who's selling it :) The Ring ones seem OK.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
orrery

Post by orrery »

Xtopher wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:00 am Our dealer (unofficially) told us the granny cable is not included as its effectively pointless for trying to charge the car regularly...
Just the sort of tosh a clueless dealer will tell you.

I've heard all sorts of stories from dealers who have spent their lives selling ICE cars: e.g. you can't charge them in the rain, the solar panel on the rear spoiler gives you better range etc. I've had to sit through a handover where I had to correct almost everything the sales lady said.

I've used a 6 amp (1.4kW) charging lead for years in order to accommodate maximum charging from my solar PV system. I do about 12,000 miles a year and I could permanently charge on this cable perfectly well, and probably all on economy 7. I'm sure that most people could - unless they have a long commute or travel for work.

This is true even for vehicles with a large battery - it is the actual usage that matters. A bigger battery just gives you more headroom - plug it in whenever you are parked up at home and eventually it will get full.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post