Delayed Charging Timer

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
EppaTo

Post by EppaTo »

EppaTo wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:41 am
Perchede wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:06 am The graph clearly shows it tries to calculate the start time to finish. With my 7.4 Kw/h charger it appears to calculate correctly but then only uses 3.5 Kw/g thus failing to achieve target.
That was one of my original hypothesis, however my other charging runs doesnt really support that theory. It could easily be part of the problem though.
In the latest experiment, it stops charging after having gained only 12 (of 35%), way before the "window closes". If the hypothesis was correct, we would see it start "too late", not "end too early"

I'll make an attempt at setting up two windows back-to-back to see if that makes a difference. (ie. 22:00 -> 02:00, 02:00->06:00)
Coming from the oil industry, where unit conversions have always been a problem. I might almost think that this is a unit conversion issue. That the "end charging" code, thinks that it is looking for 80%, but it is actually comparing current charge with something that is not 80%.

As a software developer, I cannot fathom how they have managed to write code that stops charging before it has met either the end of the window, or the target charge state though. (completely regardless of the estimation code)

Perchede

Post by Perchede »

EppaTo wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:03 am ........................
Coming from the oil industry, where unit conversions have always been a problem. I might almost think that this is a unit conversion issue. That the "end charging" code, thinks that it is looking for 80%, but it is actually comparing current charge with something that is not 80%.

As a software developer, I cannot fathom how they have managed to write code that stops charging before it has met either the end of the window, or the target charge state though. (completely regardless of the estimation code)
I also have an IT background. My guess it that something is being periodically re-evaluated and there is one or more errors in the calculation.
VW's ID.4 Doc clearly mentions the calculation to end at departure time. I presumed the same applied to off-peak times as well.

I also think it is odd when on untimed charging from well below 80% that it constantly uses 6.5 Kw/h rather than the expected 7.2 Kw/h from my 7.4 Kw/h charger.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
EppaTo

Post by EppaTo »

Perchede wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:23 am I also think it is odd when on untimed charging from well below 80% that it constantly uses 6.5 Kw/h rather than the expected 7.2 Kw/h from my 7.4 Kw/h charger.
If no schedules have been set, does it generally use the 7.2kW?

Mine seem to pick rates somewhat arbitrary, but i do sometimes get the expected rates.
When i run without schedules, i seem to get consistent max rate.

I was previously thinking that it may be confused as to what rate my charger is capable of (charger specs says, if on 3 phase 440V, it could do 22kW). Mine is on a 1 phase 220V. Limited (in the charger software) to 25A. I was thinking that maybe that limit isnt properly communicated to the car.
Though again, this doesnt explain why the car would end charge early, only why it would start late...

Maybe Skynet is here, and the charger is communicating with all the other chargers in the area to load balance charging to protect the grid :D
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

Without any schedule set it uses 6.5 Kw/h.

My charger installation documentation shows it has an optional live input that can be set via user control to be either a reduced (50%) charge or a deferred charging command. I am currently using it as the latter and have connected it to a rail fitted 14 Euro digital time switch. The Installation instructions include a diagram displaying the vehicle connection and the electrical connection. As soon as the Enyaq is connected commination is initiated between the station and vehicle 30 seconds)

I presume that during the communication the charger power is communicated. It might well be when the Enyaq is on sa scheduled charge it is erroneously picking up the reduced power possibility of the charger
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
EppaTo

Post by EppaTo »

Experiment 3,
Startstate: 48%, Targetstate: 80%, Immediate charge to 50%
Preferred times: 22:00-02:00 AND 02:00-06:00,
No departure time set.
Charger Capacity: 5.5kW

2021-08-31 08_17_28-Skoda Enyaq - Grafana.png

Summary:
18:50 Connected cable, Immediate charging to 50% at 5.5kW (2%)
22:00 Starts Charging at start of window, varies between 2 and 5.5kW
02:00 Stops charging at end of first window, Gotten additional 22%
EndState: 72% (increase of 24%)

Comments:
Based on comment with one of the developers of the skodaconnect python library, i wanted to try setting multiple windows. This seems to have had an effect.
We now see the initial charge working correctly (though it sometimes have done that before as well)
We also see the car charging the full first window. The start and stop times are exactly the same as the window start/stop times, so this cannot be by chance.
Next experiment will be setting the windows to 22:00-05:00 AND 05:00 to 06:00 to see if we get a consistent behaviour where we can utilize the first windows with confidence.
Note that we still see varying charge rates during the window
gdallas

Post by gdallas »

Have Skoda actually acknowledged this as a bug yet? I have booked my Gf's car in for warranty work to attempt to address this later this month. I have only had a short amount of time myself trying to debug it as she doesn't do a lot of miles!

we plugged the car in yesterday evening with 38% charge. set a schedule start 12:30AM to 04:30 to 90%. 0% immediate charge set. We woke this morning with 43% charge!!! no clue what that consisted of in terms of energy draw, duration etc.

at 12:05PM this afternoon, I changed the start and end times to 12:30PM to 15:45. starting from43%, I can confirm it kicked in on time and has been going strong at the full 7kw for the last 45 mins or so. I am now at 53%.

do you think the car just doesn't like schedules that are not due to start until the next day or something? very frustrating as we have no alternative way to schedule our charges which means we aren't able to take advantage of our Octopus go tariff.

I have a legit VCDS cable at my own house with 2 licenses remaining. I might have a look around her OBD next time I am at hers.
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

I suspect Skoda like others don't acknowledge bugs until they are fixed.
4 House at 7.2Kw/h would be 28.8 Kw/h
Assuming IV60 this would be about 50% increase of capacity. The 5% you saw was a trickle.
Assuming IV80 this would be about 37% of capacity.
It is interesting that we get reports of differing behaviours -This leads me to think that perhaps Skoda's implementation of the charging protocol is causing different chargers to act in different ways.

Some users report;
- Chargers failing to start
- Trickle charging
- 50% charging

It is complicated as the start time is calculated backwards from the finish time and may be basing this on an erroneously sensed charger power communicated at plug-in.
I did previously note that the Enyaq plug lights seemed to change from solid Green to White after about 30 mins. So tests on 30 mins or less could yield different results.

What charger do you have and does it have any electrical controlled connections (My Scheider charger has and used with a cheap rail digital time witch works perfectly)
gdallas

Post by gdallas »

Hi mate,

IV60 is what we have. well, what she has; I have a Tesla M3P which has its own bundle of problems too hahaha.

yes, it was clear it was trickle charging last time we scheduled it for starting next calendar day at 12:30Am too. (We have only attempted this 3 times to date). once a couple of weeks ago (failed), once last light (failed), and then again this afternoon (success). Yet, when I scheduled it earlier for starting in 30 mins time, I got full speed. I am actually a Electrical/control and Instrumentation engineer. I installed my GF's charger which is a Rolec Wall pod. the non smart version. its 18th edition compliant and so as the 6mA DC leakage module installed.

Interestingly I also got a failed start earlier today when I tried to schedule the start time 10 mins from when I plugged the cable back in. that as why I started again and set it for 30 mins this time. which worked as I mentioned.

The start time should only be calculated back from the finish time if you have selected a scheduled departure charging type. I didn't set or tick any of those. Instead I scrolled to the bottom and configured a time based schedule between 12:30AM and 04:30. which should kick in at 12:30 then charge up to 04:30 as required. The second failed attempt of charging which was last night, I decided to try untickiing the first row, ticked the second row using the same times as before. Same failure unfortunately.

so to summarise. I got a successful scheduled charge today when I set it to start at 12:30PM (43%) until 15:45 (83%). I configured the schedule ~30 mins before it kicked off, i.e. 12:05PM. Convinced its something to do with the charge being scheduled on the next calendar day as my scheduled charge today was fine but its not practical as I need to be able to use off peak charging.
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

The documentation does specify that the start time is back calculated from the departure time but says nothing when only an off-peak is configured.
I suspect the same logic is used.
In my many tests I used the same off-peak time set for every day.
I have an ODB2 arriving Thursday for more testing.
I am fortunate to have a been assigned a French off peak time of 03:00 to 08:00 AND 13:30 to 16:30 - More opportunities to test.
Linton944

Post by Linton944 »

I've tried setting a charging time on the same day and for it to charge from 50% to 70% (iv60) but it didn't start charging straight away at the start time, and then after about 2 hours after the programmed start time it started charging at at 1kWh ( off a 3 pin socket), after another 2 hours it was still ay 1kWh so I stopped the timed charging, turned off the timer and plugged it back in - and it was straight up to 2.5kWh which is what i would expect ( spreadsheet of this should be attached)

It's had a day at a Skoda dealer and they could find nothing wrong and wondered if it was my non Skoda 240v 3 pin socket charger - this is all now back with with Skoda UK and I will update with their response
Enyaq iv60 charging test 2021 08 24.xlsx
(11.91 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post